Sign in with
Your question

First Custom Gaming Computer Help/Advice

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 9:27:47 PM

Hi everybody, I was wondering if you could appraise my first gaming pc components in search of anything that can be improved. It will be primarily be used to play gmaes such as Skrim on maxed out settings. My budget is $500-800.

Optical Drive:Asus Black 18x DVD ROM 48x CD ROM
Motherboard:GA-780T-D3L
RAM:G. Skill Sniper 8gb (2x4gb) 240-pin Desktop Memory Model
Video Card:HIS Radeon HD 7850 1gb or 2gb
PSU:SeoSonic M12ll 530 Bronze 520W ATX12v/80 Plus Certified
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
HDD:Western Digital WD 1TB Intellipower 3.5'' Internal Hard Drive
Case: Antec Three hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

I really haven't though about monitors yet, but I have a keyboard (Logitech G510) and mouse.

Thanks Again,
Elite
October 17, 2012 9:38:06 PM

In order to overclock that Phenom, you will need an aftermarket cooler. It should be said that Intel Core i3-3220, coupled with a H77 motherboard, outperforms Phenom, even overclocked, normally cheaper (Phenom + mobo + cooler).
With regard to graphics card, the HIS IceQ is quite good, but worth considering MSI TwinFrozr. You definitely want 2GB version, if budget allows.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:39:48 PM

malbluff said:
In order to overclock that Phenom, you will need an aftermarket cooler. It should be said that Intel Core i3-3220, coupled with a H77 motherboard, outperforms Phenom, even overclocked, normally cheaper (Phenom + mobo + cooler).
With regard to graphics card, the HIS IceQ is quite good, but worth considering MSI TwinFrozr. You definitely want 2GB version, if budget allows.

Thanks for the info, but what would the advantage of a IceQ and Twinfrozer be? Also, i dont think I will get the Intel i3 because its more expensive. Though upon you mentioning overclocking ,how do you do that, and how many ghz would it increase? One more thing, is my mobo going to do its job efficiently or should I look at a different one?
m
l
October 17, 2012 11:45:23 PM

The good cooling on the IceQ and TwinFrozr, plus higher spec components, allow for higher performance, with overclocking. The i3 doesn't cost more OVERALL, because you can use a cheaper motherboard, with it, and don't need an aftermarket cooler. Overclocking of the Phenom will increase its performance, but it still won't outperform an i3-3220.
m
l
!