Sign in with
Your question

Ps3 connected to pc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2012 8:54:31 PM

I wanna play my ps3 through a HD monitor without having to buy a new tv. I recently built a new computer and the LCD monitor I bought only has 1 DVI and no speakers and the return policy has a restocking fee so I can't return it for a tv that I can hook up to my pc. Is there a good pci express tv tuner out there with HDMI that has no lag issues when I hook up my ps3 to its HDMI port to get a good gaming experience with good picture and sound through my speakers?

More about : ps3 connected

August 23, 2012 9:02:38 PM

There are those, but they are expensive and have input lag. Why don't you just buy HDMI -> DVI adapter? Use that to connect the monitor, and use the composite connections for audio.

m
l
August 23, 2012 9:05:44 PM

Sunius said:
There are those, but they are expensive and have input lag. Why don't you just buy HDMI -> DVI adapter? Use that to connect the monitor, and use the composite connections for audio.

I only have 1 DVI port on the monitor, so I would have to take the plug out every time I wanted to play ps3 or I can buy some sort of splitter but that will make the signal quality not as good prob about the same quality as the tv tuner lag, right???
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 9:06:31 PM

the monitor just has a dvi and dsub ports there are no composite inputs on it at all
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:07:21 PM

Composite inputs are on your speakers :) .

And yes DVI splitters exist.
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:10:19 PM

but wont the image quality degrade with a splitter for both my video games played on the pc and image quality for ps3 as well
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:15:08 PM

misterix said:
but wont the image quality degrade with a splitter for both my video games played on the pc and image quality for ps3 as well

DVI and HDMI are digital. It works or it doesn't, there is no degradation.

(Well, if you are at the very limits of 'working', there may be artifacts due to bit errors but other than that, the image on screen will be a bit-perfect representation of the original input.)
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:27:03 PM

OP, I highly recommend trying AverMedia products. They have both Top Tier-level TV Tuners AND Video Capture hardware (so that you can record your gameplay in HD).

Personally, I suggest getting these: Game Capture HD, Game Broadcaster HD.
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:01:16 PM

The output from a PS3 is always HDCP encrypted so your monitor will need to support it (most do). There will always be input lag from a video capture card. Some video capture cards allow you to view HDCP encrypted content but you cannot record it.

A DVI splitter is not what you want; a DVI switch is what you want. You would still need a HDMI to DVI for the PS3. You will also need a switch for your audio.

You might want to rethink that restocking fee as its cheaper then the switches and the HDMI to DVI cable.
m
l
August 31, 2012 6:57:00 AM

Why would I wanna buy a DVI switch when a DVI splitter is less than $10 and a DVI switch is closer to $30?
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:52:21 AM

misterix said:
Why would I wanna buy a DVI switch when a DVI splitter is less than $10 and a DVI switch is closer to $30?

A splitter lets you plug two displays to a single video source while a switch lets you plug two video sources to a display's port so you can switch sources without messing with cables when your display does not have enough built-in inputs to plug everything directly to it.

A good splitter would have buffer chips at the split to maintain signal integrity across outputs which makes them a one-way affair. A passive DVI/HDMI splitter would be a gamble since the impedance discontinuity at the split and ~55% weaker signal each way are likely to cause transmission errors. The passive splitter might work at lower resolutions and refresh rates but I doubt these would still work at 1080p60.
m
l
!