Sign in with
Your question

New Ivy Bridge Build - Graphics Design/Business Mngmt

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2012 10:05:10 PM

New Ivy Bridge Build - Graphics Design/Business Mngmt

Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of this month October 2012

Budget Range: between $1,500 and $1,900 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic Design – Adobe CS6 and Business Management - equally important

Am I buying a monitor: Not right now. I have a 19” Westinghouse HD monitor that I can use until I decide on my next monitor.

Parts to Upgrade: Full Tower - New Build

Do I need an OS: Yes, I've included it in the build.

Preferred Website for Parts: NEWEGG

Parts Preferences: Intel, GeForce, Windows

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes – When I upgrade I would like to add an additional graphics card rather than just upgrade a single card.

Monitor Resolution: I believe the monitor is 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like a PC that is fairly quiet but I'm flexible on that. Things that I already own are wireless keyboard and mouse combo, the monitor, 120gb Sandisk SSD (NEW), wireless router. I am interested in whether the components I selected are compatible. And if there are ways I could save money I would love those suggestions.

Why I'm Upgrading: Trouble running Adobe CS6 but mostly it's just time to get a better computer to run my business and work on my customers' graphic design projects for their custom ceramic poker chips.

This is the build I came up with:

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
$179.99
PSU: NZXT HALE82 HALE82-850-M 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Power Supply
$139.00
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$199.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
$319.99
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
$219.98
GPU: ZOTAC ZT-61102-10M GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
$169.99
RAM: 2 X Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model
$199.98
SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card – OEM
$44.99
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$109.99
OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) – OEM
$139.99
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back
$102.99
SOUND DAMP: SilverStone Silent Foam SF01, Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Foam Material, Black, 21"x15", 4mm thick, 2 pcs
$21.99
FREE GIFT: NVIDIA Gift - Assassin's Creed III Game Coupon - OEM

Sub-Total: 1849.86

Shipping: 27.77

TOTAL: 1877.63

I used a few boutique pc builder websites to browse the latest hardware selections and to get ideas for compatibility. Is it a good idea to go with a boutique builder in order to get their warranties and support? What builder would you suggest if that is the case?

I appreciate your feedback and I thank you in advance.
October 17, 2012 10:17:38 PM

Quote:
I used a few boutique pc builder websites to browse the latest hardware selections and to get ideas for compatibility. Is it a good idea to go with a boutique builder in order to get their warranties and support? What builder would you suggest if that is the case?

Depends on which vendor. If it's someone like Digital Storm or Falcon Northwest I'd say yes but you'll have to fork out some serious cash for their systems.

On that build the sound card and sound damp(?) aren't really needed - you can drop those. And ditch the H100 - if you want liquid cooling, the H100 and other closed loops are plastic toys compared to real radiators.

On that kind of build here's what I would suggest - I'd suggest going more CPU intensive and less GPU intensive. Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($238.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ATI FirePro V5800 1GB Video Card ($386.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $1623.36
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
l
October 18, 2012 12:07:16 AM

take a look at what this guy is doing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366922-31-help-buildi...

For both of your requirements, you should get a new monitor. spending money there is going to increase your productivity more than the computer.

For G-unit's build, i would save money by downgrading the processor, and then taking that money to increase ram to 32gb (or at least pick 2x8gb to allow future flexibility) and also increase your SSD/HDD budgets.

As far a GPU, read the previous thread, there's a couple benchmarks. If you really are not playing games, and only doing adobe, $150 worth of gaming video card is enough video card.
If you must have the workstation card for precise graphics; then yes i suppose you take the plunge for an expensive workstation graphic card
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2012 4:41:58 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

Depends on which vendor. If it's someone like Digital Storm or Falcon Northwest I'd say yes but you'll have to fork out some serious cash for their systems.

On that build the sound card and sound damp(?) aren't really needed - you can drop those. And ditch the H100 - if you want liquid cooling, the H100 and other closed loops are plastic toys compared to real radiators.

On that kind of build here's what I would suggest - I'd suggest going more CPU intensive and less GPU intensive. Try something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($238.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ATI FirePro V5800 1GB Video Card ($386.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $1623.36
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of the six cores. Thanks for that.
The advice on the liquid cooling and sound dampening is appreciated as well.

1) First of all I'm concerned that going with a mid tower and a smaller board is going to limit my upgradability and not allow for the best airflow and cooling.

2) Were there compatibility issues with my build? Or were my choices really terrible? None of them were considered? I guess I was hoping I made SOME correct choices.

3) The ATI card does not allow me to connect HDMI monitors which I have available. I was going to upgrade the monitor I currently have with a better one eventually. My concern is with the system and the upgrade options in the future. Is HDMI not a good option?

4) I keep reading about AMD card driver issues and I would rather go with a lesser card than have to deal with driver issues. I've spent dozens and more hours searching for drivers for one thing or another in the past. Are my fears irrational?

5) While I don't normally use my computer for this (I own a PS3) I actually would like the option of being able to play a game on the system. Will that change the perspective?

Thanks again for your help.
m
l
October 18, 2012 5:07:59 PM

raytseng said:
take a look at what this guy is doing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366922-31-help-buildi...

For both of your requirements, you should get a new monitor. spending money there is going to increase your productivity more than the computer.

For G-unit's build, i would save money by downgrading the processor, and then taking that money to increase ram to 32gb (or at least pick 2x8gb to allow future flexibility) and also increase your SSD/HDD budgets.

As far a GPU, read the previous thread, there's a couple benchmarks. If you really are not playing games, and only doing adobe, $150 worth of gaming video card is enough video card.
If you must have the workstation card for precise graphics; then yes i suppose you take the plunge for an expensive workstation graphic card

Thanks but I guess I got a little lost in the back and forth on that forum thread. Is there an actual final list and cost for that build? I know they changed some things at the end there.

And I guess the same question to you: Was there something really wrong with my build? I was hoping a I got something right. :) 

I will be upgrading the monitor in the future. I've been working on a 15" screen for quite some time. Moving up to 19" for the interim will be just fine for now. I want to be sure that I don't spend too much on a monitor right now and then later want to upgrade to the newer touch technology that I've been anticipating and that Windows 8 will support.

I do own one SSD that I bought last month to upgrade my laptop but I decided it was better to buy a new system. So I do have a Sandisk 120gb. I would like to put the OS and apps on it. Then I would like a 7200 rpm data HDD. And another SSD for a scratch disk. Is that a good idea?

Thank you again for you help.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:52:47 PM

So in the end I went ahead and went with a system that I felt comfortable with.

One that I could use for work - graphic design, business and finances. And one that I could use for hobbies as well - music, photography, occasional gaming.

I used pcpartpicker.com and some of the advice from a couple forums to finish off the preparation. I made the order and saved about $1,000.00 over having it built by a boutique shop. I compared at least three similar builds and that was the average savings.

Thanks to those who gave their advice.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling UCACO-P0900-CSB01 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.07 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Desktop 7000 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1528.76

I already had a couple of items to add to the system which will save me a few dollars:
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 2.5" 120GB SSD Drive
Monitor: 19" HDMI Westinghouse LCD Monitor

I plan on upgrading by adding a monitor or two later.
I am interested in 3D and would love to get a 3D capable monitor and do some 3D graphics, 3D gaming and 3D movie watching.
I am also interested in how the touchscreen monitors will be developing over the next year with the release of Windows 8 and many of the manufacturers adding multitouch to their lineups.

Hopefully the prices will drop on both those types of monitors. I just did not want to invest in a monitor right now without addressing one of those wishes. I've already received some packages in the mail. So I'm on my way. Maybe I'll add some post build photos.

Thanks again for the assistance
Salvatore
m
l
!