Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions on this build. Please help. Updated.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2012 10:23:40 PM

My budget is: 1000$ (Cannot go over even by a penny) and yes literally you can't go over.

I do NOT need: Keyboard/Mouse, OS, Monitor, Optical Drives.

HERE are my questions:

1. I wanna use water cooling on my CPU. I have chosen the Corsair Hydro Series H60 for this. Any input on this?

2. I have a gold rated PSU. If I plan to run my computer almost 24/7 will this save me a good deal on my power bill above let's say a bronze/silver power supply? At minimum I would like to get a GOOD power supply (not some cheap one) that is probably at least silver.

Realistically the computer will be on about 10-12 hours a day, at probably 75% of its maximum.

3. Is the Mobo I have chosen a good Mobo for OC'ing? Could I get a better Mobo for about the same amount? Suggestions please.

4. How does my memory look? Would you get a different kind? Would you OC it?

5. Is their a better case for what I'm doing? Please note I really really like the look of this case. I hate window views into the case. I do not really care about LED's in fact I'm not sure whether I want any on/in my case, but that can be decided upon looking at it. Is this case good for the H60? Is the H60 good for this case? Input on this please.

NOTE: Not interested in upgrading GPU, unless I ca get a better one for about the same price. Literally within about 10$ (not including mail in rebates as I hate them.

I do not care about minuscule little changes unless they will really benefit me or I have an incompatible part. How does my system look at this point?

I would like some input on this build at the current time.


---------------------
Here is my build:
---------------------

Cart Item List:
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1


SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 11200-01-20G Video Card
Item #:N82E16814102984
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$209.99


1


CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Item #:N82E16835181015
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$74.99
$64.99


1


Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822148840
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$109.99
$89.99


1


G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231544
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$38.99


1


COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811119197
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$119.99
$99.99


1


Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active-PFC Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817182068
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$99.99
$69.99


1


ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813157330
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$124.99
$119.99


1


Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819116504
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$229.99


1


Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $15.00
Item #:N82E168GC000001
Grand Total: $923.92 With S&H it come's to an even $940.00
October 17, 2012 10:50:42 PM

Bumping is illegal in the forums.

And while the H60 is kinda cool, its not the best cooler for the price. Something like the cheaper Cooler Master 212 EVO is about the same but much cheaper. A Noctua NH-D14 is one of the best you can get.

I got my H60 for free, so that's why I have one.

The rest of your build looks fine.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:52:57 PM

That cpu cooler is too over priced IMO, go with a CM Hyper 212+/EVO. I have the + version and let me tell you, it is so quiet and it keeps the temps so low. It's more than enough for cooling and overclocking. As for ram, I wouldn't overclock it. Everything else seems good to me. I'll let people comment.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 10:54:12 PM

sktittles said:
HERE are my questions:

1. I wanna use water cooling on my CPU. I have chosen the Corsair Hydro Series H60 for this. Any input on this?


It will do the job - but why is water-cooling necessary? You are spending a lot of money on a product that will be easily bested by an air-cooler at a similar (if not cheaper) price. Look into the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, or even the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO if you want a very good performance/price cooler.

sktittles said:
2. I have a gold rated PSU. If I plan to run my computer almost 24/7 will this save me a good deal on my power bill above let's say a bronze/silver power supply? At minimum I would like to get a GOOD power supply (not some cheap one) that is probably at least silver.

Realistically the computer will be on about 10-12 hours a day, at probably 75% of its maximum.


It will save you some money - but I doubt it will be an extraordinary amount. The difference in efficiency is only a few percentage points (less than 5% for reputable brands) so make sure you're not paying a premium just to get an 80Plus Gold power supply. What's much more important is getting a power supply from a reputable company. A decent 500W 80Plus Bronze power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX will cost about $50. So that's something to think of.

sktittles said:
3. Is the Mobo I have chosen a good Mobo for OC'ing? Could I get a better Mobo for about the same amount? Suggestions please.


Your motherboard is fine. It will allow decent overclocks without any issues. For overclocking, I think you probably have one of the cheapest boards that will do what you want - so stick with it.

sktittles said:
4. How does my memory look? Would you get a different kind? Would you OC it?


Good kit of memory - I wouldn't bother with anything else. You already have a very good kit at a good price. You can overclock it - but it isn't really necessary. DDR3-1600 is the maximum supported by the Z77 Express chipset natively and it will be fast enough for your daily usage.

sktittles said:
5. Is their a better case for what I'm doing? Please note I really really like the look of this case. I hate window views into the case. I do not really care about LED's in fact I'm not sure whether I want any on/in my case, but that can be decided upon looking at it. Is this case good for the H60? Is the H60 good for this case? Input on this please.


This is a matter of personal preference. I have never really liked the way Cooler Master cases looked so I avoided them. Look into the Corsair Carbide series if you want some comparisons. The 400R and 500R are excellent cases that will work with the H60. The H60 will also work with your original case choice, for your information.

sktittles said:
NOTE: Not interested in upgrading GPU, unless I ca get a better one for about the same price. Literally within about 10$ (not including mail in rebates as I hate them.


Your GPU is fine - don't bother changing it.

sktittles said:
I do not care about minuscule little changes unless they will really benefit me or I have an incompatible part. How does my system look at this point?


Everything is compatible and it looks good.

sktittles said:
I would like some input on this build at the current time.


So far, a very nice build. It probably won't be possible given your tight budget, but you should really look into an SSD. There are some very good 128GB SSDs for around $100 (Samsung 830, or OCZ Vertex 4) that will give you a very good increase in daily performance.

Try looking into a cheaper power supply or case to come up with the savings to fit one in!
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:55:43 PM

sktittles said:
My budget is: 1000$ (Cannot go over even by a penny) and yes literally you can't go over.

I do NOT need: Keyboard/Mouse, OS, Monitor, Optical Drives.

HERE are my questions:

1. I wanna use water cooling on my CPU. I have chosen the Corsair Hydro Series H60 for this. Any input on this?

2. I have a gold rated PSU. If I plan to run my computer almost 24/7 will this save me a good deal on my power bill above let's say a bronze/silver power supply? At minimum I would like to get a GOOD power supply (not some cheap one) that is probably at least silver.

Realistically the computer will be on about 10-12 hours a day, at probably 75% of its maximum.

3. Is the Mobo I have chosen a good Mobo for OC'ing? Could I get a better Mobo for about the same amount? Suggestions please.

4. How does my memory look? Would you get a different kind? Would you OC it?

5. Is their a better case for what I'm doing? Please note I really really like the look of this case. I hate window views into the case. I do not really care about LED's in fact I'm not sure whether I want any on/in my case, but that can be decided upon looking at it. Is this case good for the H60? Is the H60 good for this case? Input on this please.

NOTE: Not interested in upgrading GPU, unless I ca get a better one for about the same price. Literally within about 10$ (not including mail in rebates as I hate them.

I do not care about minuscule little changes unless they will really benefit me or I have an incompatible part. How does my system look at this point?

I would like some input on this build at the current time.


---------------------
Here is my build:
---------------------

Cart Item List:
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1


SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 11200-01-20G Video Card
Item #:N82E16814102984
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$209.99


1


CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Item #:N82E16835181015
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$74.99
$64.99


1


Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822148840
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$109.99
$89.99


1


G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231544
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$38.99


1


COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811119197
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$119.99
$99.99


1


Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active-PFC Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817182068
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$99.99
$69.99


1


ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813157330
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$124.99
$119.99


1


Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819116504
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$229.99


1


Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $15.00
Item #:N82E168GC000001
Grand Total: $923.92 With S&H it come's to an even $940.00



Your motherboard is good enough for the overclocking your cooler is not. I think a moderate amount of overclocking would be fine with a H60 but the H60 isn't intended to be a good overclocking cooler that is for the H80/H100.

Your memory looks fine I wouldn't really feel the need to overclock it if it were me. Keep in mind that your graphics card's minimum system requirements is 500 watts so that doesn't leave you much room in general for a overclock. But agreed with deemo I would go with the EVO cooler he suggests and if you want more the Noctua or something like the H100 (which is awesome I have one :) )
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:56:22 PM

So in this case the 212 hyper evo is going to beat the H60? but does it beat the H80? And does the Noctua mentioned above beat the H80? Do I even need to go above the 60? Or for my purpose would the Evo beat it?

I wont be doing super OC'ing, i'll probably OC to maybe 4.1ghz or so...
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:58:54 PM

sktittles said:
So in this case the 212 hyper evo is going to beat the H60? but does it beat the H80?

I wont be doing super OC'ing, i'll probably OC to maybe 4.1ghz or so...


A Hyper 212 Evo is definitely the way to go, if this is your intended overclock. You are simply wasting money with the H60 for this type of overclock.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 10:58:57 PM

It probably would be yes.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:05:27 PM

evilqueens said:
Grossly unnecessary given the OP's single-GPU setup and modest overclock. Any decent 500W power supply will be adequate for the OP's needs.



If he sticks to the " Minimum System Requirements " Gold Silver Platium Titanium whatever fine. But for me personally I don't aim to just hit the minimum requirements with such a important piece of a computer. What you feel is safe what you feel is adequate is your own prerogative.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:07:19 PM

Too answer some questions and what not

I've always been really interested in water cooling which is why i was interested in trying it. I don't hugely mind paying for the H80, but it sounds like it would be unnecessary and the Evo would probably do just about the same?

I don't plan to do any real dangerous OC'ing mostly just wanna get a little more out of it.

I'll also check out the cases you mentioned.

m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:09:27 PM

I should also probably mention I'd like to somewhat have a future proof system that can last the next 2-3 years (with minor upgrades if needed) Then i'll do a CPU/GPU upgrade. I might even in 6 months maybe a year decide to crossfire my GPU's... but that is not likely at this point and is not of concern to me right now.

Although I will be getting a 650W psu mentioned above.

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:10:53 PM

Overclocking with your processor is stupid easy. Your processor has a cpu boost. What that means is this is your processor only hits your cpu's speed when it needs it. So you set your boost to say 4.0 or 4.5 and when your computer gets to a point where the cpu is being used heavily it will boost up to those speeds. The h80 isn't bad but I would suggest the Noctua over the h80 honestly and I think others may agree.

A word of caution though with the hydro series from corsair there fans they they supply with them are crazy ass load and you may want to use other fans in there place. These for example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:13:22 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Overclocking with your processor is stupid easy. Your processor has a cpu boost. What that means is this is your processor only hits your cpu's speed when it needs it. So you set your boost to say 4.0 or 4.5 and when your computer gets to a point where the cpu is being used heavily it will boost up to those speeds. The h80 isn't bad but I would suggest the Noctua over the h80 honestly and I think others may agree.


so right now i'm using a 650W PSU.
If i use the H80/Noctua Cooling system, I hit $995.00 so i'm right at my budget. Of those 2 coolers which one is gonna be better down the road/or if I decide to go higher on my OC.

reposting this: Just to keep it in mind.

I should also probably mention I'd like to somewhat have a future proof system that can last the next 2-3 years (with minor upgrades if needed) Then i'll do a CPU/GPU upgrade. I might even in 6 months maybe a year decide to crossfire my GPU's... but that is not likely at this point and is not of concern to me right now.

Although I will be getting a 650W psu mentioned above.

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139020
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:19:56 PM

Just get the 212 EVO as its more in your budget.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:22:23 PM

Certainly, you should be future proof for a while. I would like to toss in a few comments.

In terms of your video card I think you are pretty safe just sticking to one Graphics card. There are applications that don't handle well with 2+ Graphic card configurations.

Also, in terms of the water cooling kits. The hydro series H60,h80,h100 are not true water cooling systems there passive water cooling solutions although they are pretty good coolers. The noctua hits just right where water cooling ends so that's why its a good option and the h100 can keep up with it and hold a higher overclock typically at a lower temp. Either way I think you would be happy with a h80 or a noctua nh-d14
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:22:27 PM

Deemo13 said:
Just get the 212 EVO as its more in your budget.


The thing is I have 1000$ to spend, so I might as well hit the 1000$ mark as the Gift Card I have is of no use to me.

So I can go with this build:

----------------------------------
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black ...
Item #: N82E16811119197
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant


$119.99
$99.99
1

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148840
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant


$109.99
$89.99
1

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11200-01-20G)
Item #: N82E16814102984
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy


$209.99
1

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Item #: N82E16817139020
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card


$119.99
$89.99
1

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO
Item #: N82E16820231544
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy


$38.99
1

ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157330
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$5.00 Instant


$124.99
$119.99
1

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
Item #: N82E16819116504
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy


$229.99
1

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $15.00
Item #: N82E168GC000001
Your Promotional Gift Card will be emailed 4 days after invoice.
1

Or the Noctua here either way I hit perfect so...

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835181016
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$5.00 Instant


$104.99
$99.99
Subtotal: $978.92
Calculate Shipping
Zip Code: 83201

Shipping: $16.08

Redeem Newegg Gift Cards / Google Offer Code
Card Number: Security Code:
Apply Promo Code(s):

Promo Code: $0.00
No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in up to 12 Months. Minimum purchase required.
Subject to credit approval. See Terms
Grand Total: $995.00

----------------------------------

So seeing as I have it too spend. Might as well get as close as possible ya know? I saved up for along time to get this and have 1000$ straight giftcard to just blow at newegg.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:33:24 PM

Looks like a sweet rig to me. I just think when people suggest things they try to save you money on things you don't necessarily need I think that was his intent with the EVO suggestion.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:36:51 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Looks like a sweet rig to me. I just think when people suggest things they try to save you money on things you don't necessarily need I think that was his intent with the EVO suggestion.


Yeah the evo was my first choice, then my budget opened up and I decided to put more into cooling.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 12:34:36 AM

This is a pretty good build. Still, I can't help but criticize any $1000 performance build that doesn't include an SSD.

This is something that could always be added in later - and probably should be one of the first upgrades if it's not included in the original build.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 12:48:03 AM

evilqueens said:
This is a pretty good build. Still, I can't help but criticize any $1000 performance build that doesn't include an SSD.

This is something that could always be added in later - and probably should be one of the first upgrades if it's not included in the original build.


I really want one tbh, but I could not find one that had any good reviews/was worth the price for the amount of space it had. I'm really planning to get one soon. Any suggestions?
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 12:55:19 AM

sktittles said:
I really want one tbh, but I could not find one that had any good reviews/was worth the price for the amount of space it had. I'm really planning to get one soon. Any suggestions?


Sure - like I said earlier, it would be hard to fit with your budget. Especially now that you are considering SLI/CFX in the future - you need a beefier PSU. Unfortunately, I don't think 650W will cut it for the card that you're buying if you want to CFX it - something to keep in mind. For normal usage, and with your modest overclocks, a 500-550W PSU will be fine for your build.

The two that come to mind right now are the Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD and the OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD. These are both really good SSDs that are currently sitting at about $100. You could probably even get one on sale (the OCZ ones have been retailing for less in the past week or so).

Of course, with more time (and hopefully more money), I would recommend you get a larger SSD - 256GB if you can.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 1:07:50 AM

The 7850 only requires 1 6-pin. It should do fine in CFX.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 1:11:30 AM

Yea something in the 750-850W range would probably be more of what you would need to have a decent amount of power for a mid level card in SLI or CF. But then you also run into the argument if its better to have one great single card versus 2. And 2 cards looks great on most benchmarks but there isn't much in terms of games really utilizing the power of 2 cards working in tandem. The 7850 is great would probably ride that till it gets to a point where a upgrade to a single card makes sense.

I'm kind of thinking the 830 is going to take a huge dip in price come here soon because the 840's are coming out the 23rd next tuesday. But yea both cards seem to get a pretty warm welcome.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 1:16:00 AM

Oh I didn't know that deemo well there you go. Looks like the power output is low enough for 2 cards is there a recommended power requirement for 2 7850's
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 1:17:47 AM

Well i've still got one week before purchasing. I've rebuilt this over and over. Never built a computer before. Hope I don't mess anything up. I've hit the $1000 mark now. I'm not huge on graphics so CFX might not happen. I don't see it atleast.

I've decided to go with an H80, and use this fan for it instead.

Fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's 2000RPM, and honestly the noise doesn't bother me. I'll be using turtle beaches anyways while gaming so.

Although I've been kinda wondering about a full water cooled computer and how much it would cost?

Also should I clear the thermal paste thats on the H80 already and apply some artic silver instead? Or will it be fine?
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 1:48:23 AM

If you have Artic Silver why not use it it should be fine quite honestly.

If you only plan on buying one fan for your system I would wait and see if you like the corsair fans that they send to you. If I'm not mistaken the h80 comes with 2 120 mm fans. Yes it does just checked. I would wait if you go out of your way to buy fans for the unit I would try and get better performance fans RPM doesn't always equal performance. For example this link. Start at 34 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6P1tElLTRU

Well with water cooling you have the pump, reservoir, water block, tubing and coolant. I think this is a pretty good kit from swifttech which I've heard good things about but its no custom this and that by any means.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=66732&vpn=H20-Ultima-XT&m...
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 2:02:55 AM

Damn i've love to do that, but I can't afford it!

I might just use this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm just really worried it's not gonna work with my setup:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: G.Skill Ares
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will it work?
m
0
l
!