GTX 670 VS Radeon 7950?

liambbarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Now let me start by saying I am not trying to split the community. I am after the best graphics card for my pc.

I have a thread over in the home built section and have my PC almost complete, it just some comes to a couple of things, one being my graphics card.

Basically I will be using this PC for Minor Gaming (maybe one or two high performance games) some video editing (after effects cs6) but mainly Photoshop CS6.

So what do you think is the best GPU for me, on price, performance, looks, and anything else in between.

Solution
The newest generation of GPUs from Nvidia were designed mainly for gaming , and any computing performance for anything other than games was slashed , so if you intend to use a lot of GPU computing in software "like cs6" you'll have to go with the HD 7950 .
. Less focus on compute. All of Nvidia's changes have resulted in what is, overall, the fastest and the most electricity-bill-friendly single-GPU gaming video card we've yet seen. But this title hasn't come without one sacrifice: compute. Fermi GPUs were sold, at least partially, on their ability to perform mathematical calculations à la CPUs, and displayed impressive facility doing just that, but Nvidia stripped some of those abilities away in order to improve power efficiency...

redeemer

Distinguished

viewgamer

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The newest generation of GPUs from Nvidia were designed mainly for gaming , and any computing performance for anything other than games was slashed , so if you intend to use a lot of GPU computing in software "like cs6" you'll have to go with the HD 7950 .
. Less focus on compute. All of Nvidia's changes have resulted in what is, overall, the fastest and the most electricity-bill-friendly single-GPU gaming video card we've yet seen. But this title hasn't come without one sacrifice: compute. Fermi GPUs were sold, at least partially, on their ability to perform mathematical calculations à la CPUs, and displayed impressive facility doing just that, but Nvidia stripped some of those abilities away in order to improve power efficiency. Using LuxMark 2.0, an application designed for testing OpenCL compute performance, we compared last generation's GeForce GTX 580 (based on an updated Fermi-style GPU) with the GTX 680, and the earlier card came out ahead in every test—and AMD's new cards, like the Radeon HD 7970, did even better. If you want a card that's every bit as good for work as play, Kepler-based GPUs may not be the way to go.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402021,00.asp

You will also get a lot more value for your money with an HD7950 , getting a factory overclocked model with a custom cooler will cost you about 320$ , getting a factory overclocked GTX 670 with a custom cooler will set you back about 420$ .

HD 7950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989
GTX 670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637

Solution