Solved

HD video editing system

Hi all. What are the community's thoughts on this build for HD video editing:

Corsair 32GB (4 x 8GB) Vengeance Red 1866mHz PC3 15000 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Quad Channel Kit CMZ32GX3M4X1866​C10R by Corsair $189.99

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) by Lite On $24.99

Atech Flash Pro-57U USB 3.0 True SuperSpeed Internal Flash Memory Card Reader w/ Front USB 3.0 $58.95

Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX750) by Corsair $152.99

Antec Sonata Series SOLO II Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case by Antec $118.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive $185.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX by Western Digital $170.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR by EVGA $469.99

Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520 With Keyboard and Laser Mouse (920-002553) by Logitech $39.99

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K by Intel $319.99

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard by Asus $224.99

Thank you very much in advance!

-sb
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video editing system
  1. I would get 16gb ram instead of 32. I don't think you would see a big enough boost. I would also get this motherboard instead
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645&name=Intel-Motherboards
    The only thing I could find is there are fewer usb 3.0. I think it is worth $100 fewer because all the expansion slots are better.
    Also I would get this card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
    That is a really good card and has more raw power than the 680, which should translate to better editing.
  2. Best answer
    Do you really need the GTX 680? I would have thought CPU power was far more important.

    By my math your build (excluding the card reader) costs $1900ish.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.05 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($202.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.79 @ B&H)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec SOLO II ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($91.21 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1896.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    Note that neither the motherboard you had nor this one have 2x USB3.0 headers, so I suggest you either get a PCIe USB card or a USB2.0 based reader.

    Unless your video editing programs specifically require CUDA support I would get a GCN card eg http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-111970140g
  3. logastellus said:
    Hi all. What are the community's thoughts on this build for HD video editing ...

    Thank you very much in advance!

    -sb



    I think some guy with an AMD FX-8120 Zambezi, Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ and a AMD FirePro V4900 will clean your clock, and save himself $675 or more.
  4. I heard that bulldozer sucks.
  5. Video encoding is actually one of the few things bulldozer will do well at as it's highly threaded. It would be hopeless at anything single threaded though.
  6. True, it might be a good idea. But I would check some benchmarks first. When are you buying?
  7. And the 3930k I linked above will destroy the 8150, let alone 8120. Costs a lot more too though.
  8. Someone Somewhere said:
    And the 3930k I linked above will destroy the 8150, let alone 8120. Costs a lot more too though.

    Based on his other choices I assume he won't be able to get a $500 cpu.
  9. Total up his build, compare it to mine.
  10. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I would get 16gb ram instead of 32. I don't think you would see a big enough boost. I would also get this motherboard instead
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645&name=Intel-Motherboards
    The only thing I could find is there are fewer usb 3.0. I think it is worth $100 fewer because all the expansion slots are better.
    Also I would get this card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
    That is a really good card and has more raw power than the 680, which should translate to better editing.



    Well, the issue is that the video editing software I use - Pinnacle 16 HD - mentions Nvidia CUDA support only. In reverse, Nvidia's website shows Pinnacle as a supported software. Nowhere is AMD mentioned.


    sorry, double checked again. They do mention this:

    DirectX® 9 (or higher) graphics device with Pixel Shader 3.0 support such as:
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6 series or higher (CUDA™ enabled required for CUDA™ support)
    ATI™ X1000 series or higher
    Intel® GMA X3000 series or higher

    Now, I just like Nvidia because I've historically had better luck with their drivers but if there's a strong performance dominance by AMD vs Nvidia, I'll switch - absolutely.

    As far as motherboard - thank you for the idea. I went with Sabertooth because of its 5yr warranty.
  11. Look at my build. It includes a 670, which is almost as powerful as a 680 but much cheaper. WAY better CPU though.
  12. lt_dan_zsu said:
    True, it might be a good idea. But I would check some benchmarks first. When are you buying?


    I'm buying all this in November.
  13. Someone Somewhere said:
    Do you really need the GTX 680? I would have thought CPU power was far more important.

    By my math your build (excluding the card reader) costs $1900ish.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.05 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($202.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.79 @ B&H)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec SOLO II ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($91.21 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1896.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    Note that neither the motherboard you had nor this one have 2x USB3.0 headers, so I suggest you either get a PCIe USB card or a USB2.0 based reader.

    Unless your video editing programs specifically require CUDA support I would get a GCN card eg http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-111970140g


    Thank you for putting all this together.

    I debated very long between 2011 and 1155. Ended up going with 1155 since 2011 has not been updated in a while and lots of folks on video editing forums said the performance gains of a 3950k + Quadro card are not worth the cost over a 3770k+GX680.

    That's why I went with an LGA1155.

    Also found this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551

    doesn't look like the 3950k is destroying a 3770k. Better in some things, worse in others, almost equal in most. So, I figured go with the newer architecture, especially given the cost difference.
  14. logastellus said:
    sorry, double checked again. They do mention this:

    DirectX® 9 (or higher) graphics device with Pixel Shader 3.0 support such as:
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 6 series or higher (CUDA™ enabled required for CUDA™ support)
    ATI™ X1000 series or higher
    Intel® GMA X3000 series or higher


    I think what they mean is that it can display stuff using the other graphics cards, but to use hardware acceleration you need CUDA. Not sure though, so I'd stick with the 670 for now.

    EDIT: Missed your last post. LGA1155 won't be getting any more releases; Haswell is on LGA1150. Ivy Bridge-E should be out soon; maybe by the time you buy your rig. I would expect they are more talking about the Quadro vs GTX680 as opposed to 3770k vs 3930k. Six cores usually helps a lot with rendering.
  15. Someone Somewhere said:
    I think what they mean is that it can display stuff using the other graphics cards, but to use hardware acceleration you need CUDA. Not sure though, so I'd stick with the 670 for now.

    EDIT: Missed your last post. LGA1155 won't be getting any more releases; Haswell is on LGA1150. Ivy Bridge-E should be out soon; maybe by the time you buy your rig. I would expect they are more talking about the Quadro vs GTX680 as opposed to 3770k vs 3930k. Six cores usually helps a lot with rendering.


    That's the sad part, from my google searches Ivy Bridge-E is not due until q3 2013.

    And Sandy Bridge-E is quite dated by now - that's my reasoning.

    I don't want to appear argumentative when I came here seeking help - please don't take it the wrong way - just thinking out loud, hopefully learning more from the experts. :bounce:
  16. That's crazy... That's when i'd expect Haswell-E. A quick google confirms it though.

    I'd still consider SB-E as that means you have a fairly solid upgrade path while LGA1155 is finished. It will guzzle the electricity though.
  17. Someone Somewhere said:
    That's crazy... That's when i'd expect Haswell-E. A quick google confirms it though.

    I'd still consider SB-E as that means you have a fairly solid upgrade path while LGA1155 is finished. It will guzzle the electricity though.


    Question - why is 2011 a better upgrade path than 1155?
  18. Because they'll have to make IB-E faster than the top Haswell chips or no one would buy them. And they will probably keep Haswell slower than SB-E to keep selling the SB-E chips until IB-E arrives. Whereas i7-3770K is the fastest chip that will ever be made for LGA1155.
  19. Someone Somewhere said:
    Because they'll have to make IB-E faster than the top Haswell chips or no one would buy them. And they will probably keep Haswell slower than SB-E to keep selling the SB-E chips until IB-E arrives. Whereas i7-3770K is the fastest chip that will ever be made for LGA1155.


    Either way, both 2011 and 1155 are EOL soon, right?

    IOW, whether I decide to upgrade 2011 or 1155, I'm looking at new motherboards, eh?

    Sigh.
  20. Best answer selected by logastellus.
  21. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I would get 16gb ram instead of 32. I don't think you would see a big enough boost. I would also get this motherboard instead
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645&name=Intel-Motherboards
    The only thing I could find is there are fewer usb 3.0. I think it is worth $100 fewer because all the expansion slots are better.
    Also I would get this card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
    That is a really good card and has more raw power than the 680, which should translate to better editing.


    Thank you. The idea behind 32g of RAM was to suck the entire movie into RAM and edit from there. (hopefully).

    Regarding the AMD video - need CUDA support according to Pinnacle.
  22. logastellus said:
    Thank you. The idea behind 32g of RAM was to suck the entire movie into RAM and edit from there. (hopefully).

    I ran a quick test using PowerDirector10 and here are the results:

    1080p/60fps MTS files rendering to MPEG-4/1080p/60fps @ 28MB/s total of 2m35s video, no titles, effects or transitions.

    Saved MTS files to ramdisk and write to ramdisk: Total time = 3m14s
    Saved MTS files to RAID0 3Gb/s HDD and write to ramdisk: Total time = 3m24s

    Ramdisk FTW!
  23. Benchmarking Sony Vegas Pro 11 using GPU on FirePro V4900

    Quote:
    ...take advantage of GPU acceleration for video FX, transitions, compositing, pan/crop, track motion and encoding ...


Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product