Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help lower cost v. Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 17, 2012 10:56:07 PM

This is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kCze
All the parts in Newegg comes to $815, $900 after tax and shipping.
I would like to lower the price to ~$700-750 after tax and shipping.
I'm located on the East Coast and want to be able to play SC2, D3 on max or high settings.

I haven't kept up with parts since 6-7 years ago so I am really out of the loop.

More about : lower cost gaming

a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 11:22:36 PM

1). Switch the CPU to an i5-3570K.
2). Get an ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard.
3.) Get cheaper RAM.
4). Do not get that GPU. The 7850 will easily beat it, and it's $200.
5.) Get a Corsair PSU.
m
0
l
a c 288 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 11:29:57 PM

obsama1 said:
1). Switch the CPU to an i5-3570K.
2). Get an ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard.
3.) Get cheaper RAM.
4). Do not get that GPU. The 7850 will easily beat it, and it's $200.
5.) Get a Corsair PSU.


We're talking about lowering costs here, the 3570K will raise them.

Allow me:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($251.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Got you below $800 and it's still a pretty killer system. *AND* upgraded the GPU on top of that.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 11:52:43 PM

Maybe I'm confused, but do you meant the east coast of Canada? When I brought up your build, that's what it defaulted to. If that's the case, here's what I came up with for right around $750:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ Computer Valley)
Storage: A-Data S510 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $751.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


This gives you a faster CPU on the newer architecture, a faster video card, better case and power supply, and twice the SSD capacity. I'd prefer to go with a Crucial SSD for $25 more or wait for a good deal, but I think that one would still suffice.

If you're not actually in Canada and that was a fluke, I can restructure this build for a few improvements using US prices / promos.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:53:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
We're talking about lowering costs here, the 3570K will raise them.

Allow me:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($251.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Got you below $800 and it's still a pretty killer system. *AND* upgraded the GPU on top of that.

wow nice, is a SSD out of the question with this budget? I'm fine without it since I never had one but I keep hearing how necessary it is nowadays. Can't see myself adding a SSD for awhile if i dont get it now or wanting to bother after installing everything.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:54:00 PM

ckholt83 said:
Threw me off a little bit when I realized you're in Canada. Here's what I came up with for right around $750:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ Computer Valley)
Storage: A-Data S510 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $751.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


This gives you a faster CPU on the newer architecture, a faster video card, better case and power supply, and twice the SSD capacity. I'd prefer to go with a Crucial SSD for $25 more or wait for a good deal, but I think that one would still suffice.

I'm in the states, from NJ.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 11:58:03 PM

jason612 said:
I'm in the states, from NJ.


Okay, yeah. I was just editing my post to explain my confusion. Let me rework that build for the US.
m
0
l
a c 288 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 11:58:53 PM

jason612 said:
wow nice, is a SSD out of the question with this budget? I'm fine without it since I never had one but I keep hearing how necessary it is nowadays. Can't see myself adding a SSD for awhile if i dont get it now or wanting to bother after installing everything.


If you wanted to up the budget - I'd personally put that in the GPU and get a 7950 (or put it in the CPU and go Z77 / 3570K). but if you wanted an SSD that wouldn't be out of the question. Newegg occasionally has the OCZ Vertex 4 - which is a good drive - for $89.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 12:08:17 AM

Okay, try this one on:


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $756.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 12:17:07 AM

The XFX 550W PSU is great, but for a rig without CPU overclocking and with a single graphics card you can safely step down to a Corsair CX500 and save $20.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 12:42:12 AM

ckholt83 said:
Okay, try this one on:


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $756.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


That RAM is 1.65V. Get this combo deal for that motherboard and 8 GB of G Skill 1.5V RAM.

And yes change the PSU for the Corsair CX 500W.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 1:14:43 AM

If you're from NJ, go to the Microcenter in Paterson if it's not too far. You'll save a lot of money on the parts there.
m
0
l
October 18, 2012 2:04:30 AM

guerrero said:
+1

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388579/Core_i5_3450_...

I wish you could order the cpus for this price online

I'll probably pick the cpu up from there, but otherwise I'm either not seeing the rest of the parts or its cheaper online so I'll buy everything on newegg/amazon and pick up the cpu in store

thanks for the help guys! I'm probably going to go this weekend so if anyone has more suggestions let me know.
m
0
l
!