I7 860 64 bit?

themrsomedude456

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I have upgraded to windows 7 ultimate and try to use 64 bit installation but when it finishes, It say 32 bit system. How to I make it 64 bit.

i7 860
GTS 250 1gb
8gb RAM but 3.68gb usable

Check the specs of the motherboard. It is probably limited to 32-bit. This means that you can install only a 32-bit OS, and 32-bit systems can address only 4 GBs of RAM, of which a small amount is taken up by the system.

This is why you see only 3.68GBs of RAM even though you have installed 8 GBs on the motherboard.

If your motherboard is 64-bit capable, then you can do a complete (Custom) install of the OS. This means that you will need to re-install all your other programs too. So, make a backup before you do this.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
OS is in no way limited by the motherboard. If your motherboard supports a 64 bit cpu, you can run a 64 bit OS. Windows 7 keys are applicable across the 32 bit and 64 bit OS's which means that you can download the 64 bit windows from official microsoft mirrors. Use the USB/DVD tool from microsoft and make a bootable USB with the 64 bit OS on it.

Set the BIOS option to boot USB devices first and you will be good to go. Start on a clean slate which means you format the Primary partition you are installing the OS on.

If the motherboard and CPU combination are not 64-bit ready, in no way will a 64-bit OS work!

And the ones that are 64-bit ready do have a RAM limitation determined by the motherboard.

During install if the system says "32-bit system" it is because the upgrade option was selected. Do a clean install (Custom) and use the 64-bit DVD if the motherboard/CPU combination is 64-bit ready.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
He said he upgraded to it. Would maybe he had a 32 bit OS installed before hand affect it? Or if not then yes, it looks like you got the wrong version of the upgrade.

http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-p55-us3l_10/specs/

Use the 64-bit Windows DVD and do a custom install (clean install). You will need to re-install all programs. Make a complete backup on an external disk before attempting this.

Please do a complete CUSTOM install using the 64-bit DVD - it will work.

Here are the specs of your CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/41316/Intel-Core-i7-860-Processor-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz

It is 64-bit capable.

Start over - do a format of the OS hard disk. Make sure that this is the only disk on the computer. Then proceed with the install.

Let us know what happens. (Don't forget to backup to an external drive before you do anything). I am repeating this because backups are very important.

themrsomedude456

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013

Ok so I did what you said and it's still a 32bit system. Here is what I did.

I backed up my data and the only drive in the PC was my OS drive.
I launched windows 7 installer.
I chose custom install.
I chose x86 for the architecture.
I formated the drive then clicked next.
Windows 7 installed.
I got to my desktop and checked if it was 64 bit but it was 32 bit.
Then I activated windows and it still says 32 bit.