These temperatures normal?

Ono

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
Ok i just recently put together this computer, using an asus P4T533 mobo, 1.8A p4 northwood and im using a volcano7+ hsf with arctic silver 3, currently have one 80 mm exhaust case fan going (with another 80mm exhaust and an 80mm intake to be added shortly) and the intake and exhaust fans in my enermax whisper 350watt psu. Ok now im running a program that came with the mobo called Asus Probe 2 to get my temp and at idle i was getting around 35-37 degrees C and while runnin prime95 to test full load its gone up to as high as 45 degrees C (with the board itself reading at around 37 idle and 41 load). Now i kno that the Arctic silver 3 paste takes a day or 2 to get worked in or something so that might take the temp down a bit ( comp first went online at around 9pm est last night). Now as im fairly new to this i was wondering if this is a normal temp?

Ono

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
yeah i was hopin that was the case....... i should have an 80mm intake case fan added tomorrow ... plus another 80mm exhaust. Tho i have a question... the way my case is situated that intake fan isnt a direct fan... so to speak. As the front of the case blocks the fans intake holes... but it doesnt keep it from drawing air... as the facing of the case is an inch or so away from the chassis and allows air to flow up from the floor threw the space between the face and the chassis to the intake holes, now is this going to cause a problem with the air flow? I mean its still drawing air... just not directly... And another question.... i was planning on overclocking this 1.8 to 2.4 ghz sometime this week.... what kind of temperatures should i expect? Or at least what temperatures should i be striving for?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i personally think intake fans are pretty useless...
if the back ones are doing their job properly then airflow thru the case should be good.

and 45C is a great temp for a P4 willy at full load.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

By the way, Asus Probe is notoriously inaccurate. Check with another program such as motherboard monitor just to be on the safe side. Otherwise your temps are just fine.

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....

Ono

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
..... Its not a willamet...... its a 1.8a northwood p4. And where would i get these other proggies?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
okay
well 45C is perfecty fine.

as for the programs, they are freeware and available online. easy to find. use <A HREF="http://www.google.com" target="_new">http://www.google.com</A>

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Drawing air from the bottom edge of the faceplate is fine. In fact I have often enlarged the slot under the faceplate to make it work even better. Assuming your computer is sitting on a hard surface, not a piece of shag carpeting that would block the hole.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Ono

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
Ok
ermmmm now Motherboard monitor makes no sence to me.... anyone care to explain how to use it? Id be very grateful

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
whats so hard?

for things like temps and voltages there are various input 'lines'
some lines just give zero.
others give real values.

just a matter of matching the value to the reading.

Ono

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
yeah in the temperature option thing in MBM you can select different sensors... some of which give me vastly different temperatures... some high as 50 degress C on idle.... i saw a few that are around the values i was getting with asus probe 2 ..... but what ones should i be looking at? which ones are correct?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well each computer should have 2 readings
one for your mobo, one for the cpu.

if your unsure what is what, display ALL of them on the dashboard screen, then watch what happens when u use the computer.

that happened on my old mobo, i had two readings that gave similar values... didnt know which was the mobo temp.
but by watching them for a while i noticed one didnt respond to temps, so it was a 'garbage' reading.

use ya head.
mobo temp should be 20 to mid 30's, depending on room temp
cpu should be 40 to 60.