Sign in with
Your question

My first build...would like some input.

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2012 2:56:06 AM

Hello,

I'm building my first pc, which i'll mostly be using for gaming and multimedia.

Here's the link:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kDVr

Any advice would be much appreciated :sol: 

More about : build input

October 18, 2012 3:01:13 AM

midnight04 said:
Hello,

Here's the link:

I would also like to add that i'm aiming for something that will last for a while without having to upgrade, all while being cost effective.
Related resources
October 18, 2012 3:42:58 AM

midnight04 said:
Hello,

Here's the link:

Looks pretty good. I would consider this for your case though
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
and this for your cooler
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
And this GPU
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 6:00:06 AM

You can downgrade the PSU to 750W if dual cards are a consideration, 650W if not.

Low profile CPU coolers are loud and hot. Go for something like a 212 EVO, they are of similar price and will be much better.

Get the standard 2GB 660Ti. The 128bit memory bus couldn't use 3GB of VRAM anyway.
Also not from EVGA, reference design cooling runs louder and hotter.

If you are not averse to AMD, the 7950 is also a good alternative to the 660Ti. They are fairly evenly matched, the 7950 is better overall, but the 660Ti performs better in some popular games.

Do you really need Blu-Ray?
October 18, 2012 6:14:59 AM

manofchalk said:
You can downgrade the PSU to 750W if dual cards are a consideration, 650W if not.

Low profile CPU coolers are loud and hot. Go for something like a 212 EVO, they are of similar price and will be much better.

Get the standard 2GB 660Ti. The 128bit memory bus couldn't use 3GB of VRAM anyway.
Also not from EVGA, reference design cooling runs louder and hotter.

If you are not averse to AMD, the 7950 is also a good alternative to the 660Ti. They are fairly evenly matched, the 7950 is better overall, but the 660Ti performs better in some popular games.

Do you really need Blu-Ray?

Thanks for the heads up on the vram. did not know that technicality. Although the 7950s are all 3 gb cards, atleast from what i can see on pcpartpicker.

here's my reviewed build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/kEUR

what do you think?
October 18, 2012 6:18:04 AM

oh, as for the blu-ray, i like the prospect of being able to burn media on a disc with higher storage capacity.
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 6:23:53 AM

The 7950 and 7970's all have 3GB of VRAM as standard, and can properly utilize it with a 364bit memory bus. Though that said, 2GB is plenty if you are only gaming at 1080p.

I suspect that massive Dominator heatspreader will become an issue when you install the 212 EVO. I suggest getting a low profile kit like the G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance LP.

Should have mentioned this before, but for the time being it is worth avoiding MSI 60Ti/670's. They were found to have been bypassing a PWM controller on the voltage regulation, which has lead to 9.3v being lead to a component only rated for 5v. Not a problem short-term, but may affect its long term ability. Would get an ASUS or Gigabyte 660Ti. Other MSI cards are all good though.

Can still downgrade on that PSU.

Otherwise, looks all good.
October 18, 2012 6:35:25 AM

manofchalk said:
The 7950 and 7970's all have 3GB of VRAM as standard, and can properly utilize it with a 364bit memory bus. Though that said, 2GB is plenty if you are only gaming at 1080p.

I suspect that massive Dominator heatspreader will become an issue when you install the 212 EVO. I suggest getting a low profile kit like the G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance LP.

Should have mentioned this before, but for the time being it is worth avoiding MSI 60Ti/670's. They were found to have been bypassing a PWM controller on the voltage regulation, which has lead to 9.3v being lead to a component only rated for 5v. Not a problem short-term, but may affect its long term ability. Would get an ASUS or Gigabyte 660Ti. Other MSI cards are all good though.

Can still downgrade on that PSU.

Otherwise, looks all good.

funny thing, i was just taking up your suggestion and was looking at 750w psu's. Will be looking at changing my gpu in light of this new info.

You seem to be very knowledgeable in this area, and i appreciated the help.

One more question, if i'm planning on playing on my 46'' LED hdtv, how much would that affect my choice in gpu's. can i even play them in higher res than 1080p?
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 6:45:56 AM

The physical size of the monitor doesn't matter, just the resolution.
You can play games at a higher resolution than 1080p, but to do so without a monitor that can display that resolution would just be wasting performance for no gain.

If the resolution is 1920x1080/1200 (1080p) or below, then you don't have to consider any special aspects of one card over the other. Just standard "which card is more powerful" will suffice.
If its significantly above 1080p, then you have to start considering tings like VRAM, memory bus' and more specific aspects of performance. In general, AMD cards perform better at higher resolutions compared to equivalent Nvidia cards. Just like how Nvidia is superior in 3D performance compared to AMD.
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 7:20:32 AM

For gaming, you dont need more than 8GB of RAM. Though there is no particular reason not to have 16GB.

Go with this supply. From a better brand and is more efficient.
XFX Core edition 750W, 80+ Bronze non-modular.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC3877&v...

Other than that, its all good.
October 18, 2012 8:03:25 AM

I would go with 16GB minimum RAM.

I cannot speak of your case, but I have the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 and it is fantastic.

I don't know much about that mobo, but I personally would go with Asrock or Gigabyte over Asus.

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) is $77 at Newegg Canada.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great cooler. You have the room for it in a larger case.

No SSD?

October 18, 2012 8:21:03 AM

Thanks for the advice...i'm not up to date with solid state drives. i'm guessing you would use it to run your os, installed programs and what not right?
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 8:26:00 AM

Put your OS and any commonly accessed/important programs and games on the SSD, and your mass storage (files, movies, etc) and unimportant games and programs on the HDD.
That way you get faster speeds on what matters, but don't have to fork over a ton for a large capacity SSD.
October 18, 2012 8:45:32 AM

midnight04 said:
Thanks for the advice...i'm not up to date with solid state drives. i'm guessing you would use it to run your os, installed programs and what not right?

Yes, as manofchalk says, you just need one large enough to hold the OS and some applications.

You can typically get a 128GB SSD for ~$85, get either a Samsung 830 or OCZ Vertex 4.

I bought the Vertex 4 256GB as I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.
October 18, 2012 8:47:00 AM

manofchalk said:
Put your OS and any commonly accessed/important programs and games on the SSD, and your mass storage (files, movies, etc) and unimportant games and programs on the HDD.
That way you get faster speeds on what matters, but don't have to fork over a ton for a large capacity SSD.

Thanks for the clarification...that's what i somewhat thought, but probably would have ended up installing all my progs to it.
!