Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bandwidth issues while streaming media.

Last response: in Networking
October 10, 2011 3:42:54 AM

Hello, I have a small home network that is used for internet access, file sharing, and media streaming. The router I am using is an old Linksys WRT54GS, the files I stream are loacted on a machine directly connected to my router, and the device I stream to is a PS3. While streaming I notice a significant drop in available internet speed. My question is: If I bought a simple 5 port switch and ran that off an Ethernet port from my WRT54GS, and then ran the PC with the media to be streamed and the PS3 off the switch, would that keep my router from carrying the streaming load?
October 10, 2011 6:38:36 PM

If you had a switch that connected the two devices directly that streamed to each-other it should speed things up. A switch is made to create a point to point connection between two ports that are talking to each-other, freeing up the other ports from needing to deal with that data. But how well it does that depends on the switch.

Have you checked for fimrware updates for the router? Or maybe tried a 3rd party firmware?
m
l
October 10, 2011 9:54:59 PM

No I haven't. I have never updated firmware on a router. Would doing that return it to factory settings?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 10, 2011 10:59:30 PM

are you noticing the internet speed drop on the computer doing the streaming or on another computer?
If from another computer, then yes using a switch to connect just the two devices that are streaming will take the load off the router.
If from the computer doing the streaming then a switch won't make a difference.
October 10, 2011 11:14:24 PM

Best answer selected by minion287.
m
l
!