Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I receive the wrong motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2012 3:57:13 AM

So I just finished unboxing my new Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard. I read extensively about it before buying it and confirmed that it had a 4-pin connection for the CPU. I just pulled it out and noticed it has an 8-pin connection.

I can't find ANY info anywhere online to suggest that this mobo is an 8-pin. Now I'm sitting here staring at it.

October 18, 2012 4:06:08 AM

You can see the model number printed on the motherboard is the correct one. It looks like Gigabyte made a revision. Is that a problem with your power supply?
m
l
October 18, 2012 4:10:24 AM

Yeah. I only have a 4-pin that I'm using from a previous build. That's why I bought this board rather than the UD3H. It says EVERYWHERE that this is a 4-pin board.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2012 4:20:56 AM

Call Gigabyte and see what they have to say for themselves.
m
l

Best solution

October 18, 2012 4:45:42 AM

According to the product page on Gigabyte's website you've got Rev 1.1 of the D3H. Rev 1.0 had the 4 pin power connector.

I think you can still plug a 4 pin power plug into half of the 8 pin connector and it will work, I'm just not sure of which half.

FWIW I've found Gigabyte's customer service to be horrible when I've had to deal with them in the past. You might just want to send the motherboard back and get a different one.
October 18, 2012 4:52:36 AM

Hmm... Makes sense. I guess that's more Newegg's fault for having Rev 1.0 on their product page. They even have a picture with the connector labeled as a 4-pin.

I'm considering just giving it a shot with my 4-pin and in the meantime I'll work on getting an adapter. I've got a spare 8 pin molex. Would something like this work?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/3200/psu-147.jp...
m
l
October 18, 2012 4:53:09 AM

Best answer selected by Veesofnaught.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 5:11:28 AM

I worried about the capabilities of the wires to deliver power in that molex adaptor...

It just using one rail/cables from 4 pin molex to power 4 rail/wires of 8 pin power...

It will be a heavy burden for the 4 pin molex wires (the 12v ones)... it could start a fire or other unwanted thing....
m
l
!