Did I receive the wrong motherboard?

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
So I just finished unboxing my new Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard. I read extensively about it before buying it and confirmed that it had a 4-pin connection for the CPU. I just pulled it out and noticed it has an 8-pin connection.

I can't find ANY info anywhere online to suggest that this mobo is an 8-pin. Now I'm sitting here staring at it.

ANRby.jpg

Solution
According to the product page on Gigabyte's website you've got Rev 1.1 of the D3H. Rev 1.0 had the 4 pin power connector.

I think you can still plug a 4 pin power plug into half of the 8 pin connector and it will work, I'm just not sure of which half.

FWIW I've found Gigabyte's customer service to be horrible when I've had to deal with them in the past. You might just want to send the motherboard back and get a different one.

lighter17

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
According to the product page on Gigabyte's website you've got Rev 1.1 of the D3H. Rev 1.0 had the 4 pin power connector.

I think you can still plug a 4 pin power plug into half of the 8 pin connector and it will work, I'm just not sure of which half.

FWIW I've found Gigabyte's customer service to be horrible when I've had to deal with them in the past. You might just want to send the motherboard back and get a different one.

Solution

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008

rdc85

Honorable
I worried about the capabilities of the wires to deliver power in that molex adaptor...

It just using one rail/cables from 4 pin molex to power 4 rail/wires of 8 pin power...

It will be a heavy burden for the 4 pin molex wires (the 12v ones)... it could start a fire or other unwanted thing....