Sign in with
Your question

My cpu fan is shaking really bad

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2013 10:49:29 PM

hello everyone, well i have been keeping tabs on the temps on my cpu and earlier today i put my hand by my cpu fan to make sure it was moving(bad idea i know) since the fan is facing towards the hard drives and i accidentally hit the fan with my hand and ever since its been making this really loud noise and causing my computer to vibrate.

I will be getting a fan as soon as i can but until the mean time can i continue to use my computer? or do i need to keep it powered down until i get a fan to replace it. And is there a chance it will stop?

Thanks in advance.

More about : cpu fan shaking bad

a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 11:05:54 PM

You broke a fin off the fan. No it wont stop and I have no idea if its safe to run it like that.
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2013 11:09:56 PM

A spinning object like a fan is designed with accurate balance (like a car's wheel, if you want). Since it was un-balanced by external force (maybe a blade slightly chipped, or a bearing thrown) the centrifugal force will continue to act on the axle/bearing, hence increasing the imbalance with every spin. It will not correct by itself.
It is relatively safe to assume the system will be OK for as long as the fan is spinning, since it is moving air. IF it stops, time to shut it down (if it doesn't already do so, because of the thermal protection included in the CPU).
Related resources
March 1, 2013 11:39:03 PM

house70 said:
A spinning object like a fan is designed with accurate balance (like a car's wheel, if you want). Since it was un-balanced by external force (maybe a blade slightly chipped, or a bearing thrown) the centrifugal force will continue to act on the axle/bearing, hence increasing the imbalance with every spin. It will not correct by itself.
It is relatively safe to assume the system will be OK for as long as the fan is spinning, since it is moving air. IF it stops, time to shut it down (if it doesn't already do so, because of the thermal protection included in the CPU).

ok so the vibration wont damage any hardware? i will be most likely get a fan replacement over the weekend but i want to know if i will be safe to play some crysis 3 later on tonight.
a c 252 à CPUs
March 2, 2013 2:12:48 AM

Use it at your own risk. Depending on how bad it is wobbling, it could loosen the mating surface between CPU and heat sync causing poor heat transfer. It could also damage the mounting holes in the MB. It could also come apart and damage MB components. It all depends on how bad you want to game before the new cooler comes, and how much you can afford to spend in case it ruins the MB.
!