Will 23amperes of psu be good for modern gfx cards?

abhi_reapar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
will 23amperes of psu be good for modern gfx cards?if not,without upgrading it can i install n play modern games in my new gfx card?does it have any drawback?

abhi_reapar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
multiple rails?what does it mean buddy?currently i am running nvidia en210 gfx card but m lookin to get a new one this weekend so if i continue gaming on that psu will it have any drawbacks in my gfx card performance?if not,then what ampere psu would be great?

mace200200

Honorable
Ok in very simple terms when a PSU has multiple rails it means that it splits up the power into two or more parts adding up to a more powerful PSU. They do this because back in the day they thought it would be unsafe to have to much power in a PSU so that's how they did it. On the label on the side of the PSU look and see if there's more than one 12v+ rating. Or try to find the model and make of the PSU.

If you try and run a GPU that takes more power than the PSU can handle it simply won't work, depending on what GPU your looking to buy will determine how much power you need in a PSU. Here is a good quality PSU that I have a feeling you'll end up needing before you can upgrade your GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094 (if you look at the close up of the sticker you'll notice that this particular unit has 2 12v rails)

mace200200

Honorable
To find the actual watts you use a formula. If it's a single railed unit you take the amps on the +12v rail and multiply by 12. If there's multiple rails it gets trickier but as long as you buy a good quality PSU it'll usually do the math for you and tell you right on that same sticker.

TRENDING THREADS