Sign in with
Your question

Best card for under 600

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 4:09:36 AM

I am planning a new build and I'm not sure what to get interms of graphics cards. I am going to be using a 3570K. Originally I was going to have a gigabyte 670 but I have some more money to spend. I don't have preference to nvidia or amd. I will be mostly gaming (borderlands 2, cod, etc) and some satellite image processing and GIS for school. My only experience of graphics cards is the 230m in my laptop that can't handle the new games, and researching online about the cards. I would prefer to stay with gigabyte because I love the look and supposedly has great at cooling.

Thanks!

More about : card 600

a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:08:17 AM

Quote:
Gigabyte supposedly great at cooling.

Not anymore. Not after HD 6850 (that was the last really good Gigabyte GPU so far. I am deadly serious with this), that is.

Under 600$? Hmmm...take this and you're good to go without changing GPU for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:22:23 AM

refillable said:
Sapphire's HD 7970

He'll probably need PhysX at some point, and in that case Radeon won't do.
That's why I recommended him GeForce instead of a GODLIKE "R7970 Lighting" (Which I would usually recommend).
And besides, you just can't really beat PhysX-capable card with a 4GB of GDDR5 AND CUDA Cores on board.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:26:47 AM

master_chen said:
That's why I recommended him GeForce instead of a GODLIKE "R7970 Lighting" (Which I would usually recommend). And besides, you just can't really beat 4GB of GDDR5.

Why would he need PhysX or 4GB of RAM? Both are gimmicks. Get a Sapphire 7970 OC. That will be more than enough for what the OP needs.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:36:23 AM

Smeg45 said:
Why would he need PhysX? It's just a gimmick.

I highly recommend that you watch this. Watch it from the very beginning to the very end.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:42:03 AM

master_chen said:
I highly recommend that you watch this. Watch it from the very beginning to the very end.

Pffft, in the real world most don't have 3 or 4 way SLI and some extra graphical bits and pieces are meaningless. Few games utilize PhysX anyway. Buy based on performance not superfluous features.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:49:57 AM

master_chen said:
That's why I recommended him GeForce instead of a GODLIKE "R7970 Lighting" (Which I would usually recommend).
And besides, you just can't really beat PhysX-capable card with a 4GB of GDDR5 AND CUDA Cores on board.

PhsyX is not Important. Few developers actually care about it.

4GB? Why? Why don't you save $140 for just '4GB of VRAM' vs 3?
CUDA? Jokes, nvidia sacrifies compute performance on the GK104 for gaming performance. If you are doing compute stuff, the 7970 should be much better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:55:03 AM

Smeg45 said:
Most don't have 3 or 4 way-SLI.

Smeg45 said:
Few games utilize PhysX.

You totally missed the point of the video...I pity you...I really do.

refillable said:
Game physics aren't important.

Yes they are.

Watch the video that is present above.

refillable said:
Few developers actually care about it.

Let's see how you will talk after Unreal Engine 4-based games would begin mass-producing.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 11:32:45 AM

Meh. That is not funny. You have done this 3 times in a row.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 12:44:27 PM

600!?

I'd go for the 7970.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 1:05:29 PM

Oh yes, that's true but are you playing other games too? I'm sure you will.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 2:56:33 PM

Thing is, GTX 680 is not behind HD 7970. It's around equal. Why shouldn't he buy GTX 680 when it supports physx for the game he wants to play? He isn't losing on performance, and it fits his budget.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 3:00:33 PM

HD 7970
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:08:51 PM

Not to interrupt the "tastes great, less filling" exchange here.... but regarding the two cards, I have a real novice question...

Are there any compatibility concerns with using an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 3:13:35 PM

no they are not

AMD can go with Nvidia or AMD

Intel with AMD or Nvidia
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:20:55 PM

gamerkila57 said:
no they are not

AMD can go with Nvidia or AMD

Intel with AMD or Nvidia

Good to know... in that case maybe I should look at some of the AMD GPU's... never tried one.

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 3:42:17 PM

refillable said:
Meh. That is not funny.

I'm not here to bring you "funny".
If you want some "funny", go watch some videos with adorable kittens doing things.

Quote:
GTX 680 is not behind HD 7970. Why shouldn't he buy GTX 680 when it supports PhysX for the game he wants to play? He isn't losing on performance, and it fits his budget.

Exactly...especially considering that I've recommended him that card with the consideration of the future games, not for the "current time" titles only.
But looks like some people would never get it.
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:50:43 PM

I will be mostly gaming, not much image and data processing for school, from what I have read I think I will get the 680. I am not buying it right now, going to wait for a bit, maybe a month or two before I start ordering parts based on sales.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:29:17 PM

gamerkila57 said:
HD 7970

+1
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 12:42:27 AM

master_chen said:
I'm not here to bring you "funny".
If you want some "funny", go watch some videos with adorable kittens doing things.

Oh yes, true true. But you clearly are making this up so that you look funny. Why do you put that picture if you don't want yourself to look funny but to look professional? And Adorable kittens are not funny.

master_chen said:

Exactly...especially considering that I've recommended him that card with the consideration of the future games, not for the "current time" titles only.
But looks like some people would never get it.

Hey, We're talking about the 7970 GHz Edition, which we can find for $460 with aftermarket cooler (680 with aftermarket cooler cost at least $50 more, so the OP can save some money). It is faster than the 680 (Especially on high resolutions, not much in FHD though, but still like 5% faster). I also heard that it performs better when OC'd vs the 680 (Although I am not sure about this).

Anyway, the 680 is not a wrong choice either, when you care about PhysX and stuff. I honestly don't care about PhysX because I what I think about it is now and the future, it's not going to be a big thing. I always go for the price for performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 4:05:05 AM

refillable said:
I think it's not going to be a big thing.

To each his own...in about 3~4 years from now, you'll probably will come running back while complaining and crying about what an ignorant person you were, and admitting what a big mistake you did.
I'm not the one to judge, you'll judge yourself. To each his own.
I won't discuss this matter with anyone in this thread anymore.
Even considering that, I still wish you and OP the best of results in anything you'll do, I really do.
To OP: If you can afford it - get what I've recommended you. If you can't afford it - get what the other people in the thread recommended to you. That's my last word on it.
If you have anything more that you wish to ask me, send me a PM.

Good bye, everyone. Peace.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:17:15 AM

Go ahead and talk like that. I don't care. The OP should have upgraded his/her card in 3-4 years time anyway (if what you are saying is true).
m
l
!