GPU fan kicks up and display turns off

BLenau

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
First off: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I've never posted here before...

I usually don't post these kinds of things because I can usually Google to find my answers or solve them myself, however, I can't figure this one out.

So, my problem is that I'll be doing miscellaneous things on my computer (playing a game, streaming a movie or show, surfing, and sometimes just idling) and suddenly my displays will go black (I have two monitors hooked up to my GPU) and the GPU fan will begin to be extremely loud. The fan will not return to normal operation noise, nor the displays come back on, until I have forced shut-down the computer and then rebooted.

System Specs:
Core i5 2500k - Stock speed, stock cooling
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB - Stock speed
Antec High Current Gamer 750W PSU
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Relevant info:
***I just received a PSU back from Antec after an RMA of the old one (the fan stopped working).
***The last time that the computer was on (sometimes even when reset, the fan is loud and no display comes up) I checked my GPU temps and they were only around 50-55C idle (then the problem occurred), so I'm sure that's okay.
***I didn't think to check CPU temps.
***Have played games like Skyrim and Arkham City on the system throughout the past year with no issues.
***I tried moving the GPU to the other PCIE port on my motherboard and got the same results.
***When this occurs, my keyboard and mouse remain lit, as do the case fans, and they and the CPU fan continue spinning.
***GPU, CPU, Mobo all still under warranty, so I could RMA any if necessary.
***No other components that I could test with to try anything at this time.

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated!

BLenau

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I would love to try this out, but now, after having the computer off all night and most of today, I boot it up and it instantly begins exhibiting these issues. I can't even see or tell if the BIOS are booting, because I have no display. And, of course, I was smart and thought I wouldn't ever need the onboard graphics, so my motherboard doesn't have anything for me to use...

Given this information, I'm fairly certain it's a faulty GPU. I guess I'll request an RMA... Thanks for the help, anyway.

BLenau

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Okay, thanks for your help. I was actually able to get my computer booted today and quickly ran through the steps in your other post. After about an hour, the issues returned, however. Hopefully the RMA process will be quick.

TRENDING THREADS