3960X pushing 200 watts with prime 95 running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
TDP on a 3960X is 130 watts. tonight I ran prime 95 and used current version of Core Temp and I noticed during the torture testing that the power field was pushing 189 to 202 watts. Is this normal? How long can the CPU last at those readings?

Solution
TDP, is a component of the total power that your processor can draw. It is the maximum component of heat that your cooling can dissipate.
Your processor draws in power and utilizes it to switch/refresh transistors. part of that power is used in switch/refresh and part of the component converts to heat (impedance, resistance). It is this heat component which has it's maximum value at 130 Watts Dissipation design.

In most of our regular day to day real world uses and load situations, most processors stay well within their TDP and that starts to look like the maximum power that your cpu can draw but it actually is not.

Thermal throttling is also activated when TDP is consistently violated but you really are sitting within 130W TDP...

satyamdubey

Distinguished
TDP, is a component of the total power that your processor can draw. It is the maximum component of heat that your cooling can dissipate.
Your processor draws in power and utilizes it to switch/refresh transistors. part of that power is used in switch/refresh and part of the component converts to heat (impedance, resistance). It is this heat component which has it's maximum value at 130 Watts Dissipation design.

In most of our regular day to day real world uses and load situations, most processors stay well within their TDP and that starts to look like the maximum power that your cpu can draw but it actually is not.

Thermal throttling is also activated when TDP is consistently violated but you really are sitting within 130W TDP even when you are consuming 200W because even if TDP is 50% of total cpu power drawn your current (hypothetical) cpu TDP is 100W.

My 2400's TDP is 95 Watts, yet maximum power consumed staying in Turbo is set to 118W in BIOS. So you see, they are not the same thing.

Like others have already pointed out, monitor the temps as they are the most important indicators of cpu stress and life.

good luck
-satyam

Solution

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Thank you for answering me.Sounds good

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Thank you for the info. It was very helpful

Status