Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best way to Setup SLI 670 with Soundcard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 5:05:30 AM

Ok so here is what I have been pondering. My new build from about a month ago is listed in my Sig. I am adding another gtx 670 to it. My problem however is that I want to used my soundcard ( Titanium HD) along with the two GPUs. My current 670 blows most of the heat from out the back. I just ordered a Gigabyte windforce OC to be the SLI card.(great reviews, decent cooling, and was in stock) I will discuss my thoughts below each image I post.

here is my current airflow with as many case fans as I could throw into my rig.

In this photo I am showing my current setup. I tried to put the sound card in the first x1 slot, however the small motherboard fan blocks the card from going into the slot all the way. I put the sound card in slot x1 slot 2 instead of the pcie x16 number 3 because the windforce will be blowing a lot of air down with its fans facing down. I am wondering if anyone has better Ideas for maximum airflow/low temps. Also do you think my sound card will be ok between these two cards. the bottom of the sound card is really close to touching(maybe it is) the plastic shroud of the top card. I dont think this that should do anything and the thermal cover on the front of the card my touch the other 670 below it. This should be ok right? First time Sli and soundcard so these are new problems to me.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the TL;DR

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 24, 2012 5:18:10 AM

the sound card would do fine in red slot 2....as long as it is not covering the fan hole on the top 670 you will be fine...it wont have any effect on temps what so ever....now if you really wanted to you could remove the motherboard fan and put the sound card in the top red slot....z77 chipsets really do not need a fan on their heatsinks if you have decent airflow in the case.
August 24, 2012 9:06:30 AM

ok so say I am able to fit the sound card on the top slot. Would it be better to have the windforce or the ftw as the first card for the best airflow and temps?
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 24, 2012 4:49:16 PM

I would put the windforce on the bottom slot so that the hotter air that is not exhausted from the windforce could get sucked up into the top 670 and exhausted out the back...this way it affects the cpu temps the least
Score
August 24, 2012 5:56:14 PM

Best answer selected by kcsmacker.
Score
August 24, 2012 5:56:31 PM

Point taken. Thanks for all the help. Was pretty sure what to do but figured while I am sitting here and waiting for it I would post it and ask.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 24, 2012 6:35:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!