Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just got a new graphics card, unsure about my PSU

Last response: in Components
March 2, 2013 4:33:24 AM

So I got a graphics card, the GIGABYTE RADEON HD 6770, and it says it requires 450 watts when my psu is only 480. Will this ruin my graphics card if I attempt to use it, or what?
March 2, 2013 4:43:51 AM

It wont ruin it, but you might not see your pc's full potential, if you plan to upgrade anything else than you might want to look at a new PSU
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:47:31 AM

Thank you. Yes, that's my plan when I get enough of an excess in money to buy a good PSU. And I assume it will be better than my Radeon HD 3000 because, well, mostly everything is better than my Radeon HD 3000.
Oh, and here's my specs, if it's relevant:
AMD Athlon II x2 270 @ 3.4 ghz
4 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3000

Is there's any more info that anyone needs, I could gladly provide it. If it's related to my computer or graphics card.

m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 4:51:47 AM

Oh, and would extended use for maybe a month or 2 damage it? For instance, if the GPU overworks the PSU and it overheats and North Korea launches a nuclear missile rendering my whole "rig" useless? I'm new to actually customizing computers, so I don't know very much about how it all works. I just kinda realized that with a custom computer I can slowly upgrade it as the games of today slowly upgrade and not have to buy a new one the moment the old one becomes obsolete.

*ignore North Korea, is not relevant atm
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:58:36 AM

Teebar said:
Thank you. Yes, that's my plan when I get enough of an excess in money to buy a good PSU. And I assume it will be better than my Radeon HD 3000 because, well, mostly everything is better than my Radeon HD 3000.
Oh, and here's my specs, if it's relevant:
AMD Athlon II x2 270 @ 3.4 ghz
4 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3000

Is there's any more info that anyone needs, I could gladly provide it. If it's related to my computer or graphics card.

If you want to upgrade your pc further than you should probably get a 500 WATT PSU, the more WATTS the better (if you were wondering)
m
l
March 2, 2013 5:00:02 AM

Teebar said:
Oh, and would extended use for maybe a month or 2 damage it? For instance, if the GPU overworks the PSU and it overheats and North Korea launches a nuclear missile rendering my whole "rig" useless? I'm new to actually customizing computers, so I don't know very much about how it all works. I just kinda realized that with a custom computer I can slowly upgrade it as the games of today slowly upgrade and not have to buy a new one the moment the old one becomes obsolete.

*ignore North Korea, is not relevant atm

what precise PSU is it?
m
l
March 2, 2013 5:57:41 AM

Yeah.. I feel like I may need a new one, hearing pretty bad news about the one I have.
It said this
Logisys PS480D ATX 20/24 ATA Series
Seems to be rather.. bad.
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:07:04 AM

Okay here's my plan:
1. Get the GPU
2. Put it in
3. Use it until something happens, i.e. crashes
4. At that point, buy a new PSU that's not poop.
5. Profit with a PSU that's not poop.

Because in the reviews, every person is saying that it worked up until, say, 2 months or so. Those are gamers. The non-gamers or less serious gamers give it 5 stars, and since Team Fortress 2 is my life I'll have to probably fix it within a couple of months at most.
Anyone have any experiences with this in particular, or knowledge?
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:14:16 AM

I suppose the last thing I'll ask is:
Anyone have any recommendations for 500-600w PSUs in the 80-100 dollar range?
m
l

Best solution

March 2, 2013 6:22:58 AM

ok first, don't wait until your GPU crashes, get a new PSU ASAP
now, a good PSU; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that's a great PSU and cheap, good brand that I recommend,
the PSU comes in 500-700 WATT variations, your choice
March 2, 2013 6:31:51 AM

so if that's it then choose a best answer, if you have any more questions just ask
m
l
March 4, 2013 1:47:50 AM

Best answer selected by Teebar.
m
l
!