Phenom II 965 X4 Black Edition Speed jumping on one core

dann89

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi,

One of the four cores of this processor jumps from 800 Mhz to 3400 Mhz a couple time a second while the other three stay at a steady 3400. What can be causing this? Bios is up to date.

Thank you.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
actually all of the cores should do that because that is AMD Cool&Quiet that reduces cpu speed and consequently power consumption when the cpu load is not high.

Probably three of your cores are seeing high load and one is not. when and how did you observe this?

dann89

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I was using AMD OverDrive to take a look at what it was doing. I got it as an upgrade but didn't see any notable difference in speed from my last one so I got curious. Under pretty heavy load cpu 0 will jump from 800 to 3400 about 4 times a second (that I could see on overdrive monitor) and cpu 1 will jump to 800 and back up real fast every 45 seconds or so while 2 & 3 stay at 3400 pretty steady.

dann89

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Hey, Thanks. You're absolutely right. It was the software. I opened up Game Fire and used their performance monitor (which is much, much, much better) and it showed all four cores doing the jump.

This is caused by the Cool & Quiet mode? Is it better to leave on or off? I really only use this computer for gaming.

leaving on just causes lower temps, and power comsumption, and under load will jump as u said to the default clock speed of 3.4ghz. turning this off produces more heat but not alot as the cpu will be running at 3.4ghz all the time, it shouldnt have an effect on games as the should stay near the stock speed and not 800, if u feel its hindering ur performance or want full speed for reg usage then its a simple bios on or off option lol I leave mine off just because for me it seems a little more sluggish at 800mhz when im just in windows doing nothing lol but when it was enabled my idle temps were good and my 133watt went down to about 89watt, well they were good either way and if ur using the stock cooler shouldnt have a huge effect on how well it cools as its what its suppose to do