davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Heres what have happened: got a new pc case and cpu cooler and ofc i move all my new components to the new case and install the cpu cooler.
But when i turn on my computer, the fans spin up, and then it turns off again.

I have tried to disconnect everything except the power and 1 fan, but still the same problem with only the mobo and a fan connected.

What should i do now?

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Front panel connectors? The only connectors connected is the power button and the power to the mobo and 1 fan

dingo07

Distinguished
and Definitely make sure the new CPU cooler is seated properly to the cpu

are you sure you plugged in all the power connectors, like the one for the cpu as well...?

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yes, but the mobo should boot without the cpu, right? Anyway as far as i know, there is only 2 connectors for the processor - 1 for power and 1 for the cooler

dingo07

Distinguished
no, from what I understand, you will not POST without the CPU and memory

is that what you're trying to do, boot without the CPU installed? what's the point of that...

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Btw boot is the wrong word, not boot the os xD
Just the mobo itself, so that i can use the mobo and change settings and such

chugot9218

Honorable
You cannot boot without a CPU, and it will not post without any RAM, list your specs so we can check, many MOBO's have two power slots, a CPU does not "directly" have a power plug. You must also make sure the fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN slot, it will not start if it does not detect a fan there. And also you need to make sure you heatsink is properly seated with the appropriate amount of TMI, too much can cause as many problems as too little.

You cannot get to the BIOS without the CPU, the BIOS exists on the MOBO as data but it has nothing to run it, ala the CPU.

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Here goes the specs:
Asus h61 m-lx (kno its ****)
8 gb ram
i5 3550
gtx 570
Power supply: sl-700
cpu-cooler: 212 evo

chugot9218

Honorable
Haven't gotten a chance to check your stuff, but, did you make sure that the standoffs were in the new case before you mounted the MOBO? You could also try breadboarding it (build it outside the case on a non-static surface) and see if that works.

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yes i built it on stand-offs, they are in the case by default. i have also tried to run it on a no n static surface (eg. a shirt)
What would happen if a pin or two on the cpu is affected by the thermal compound, and thereby wont conduct power?

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, depending on your thermal compound, it may be conducive itself (arctic silver contains actual silver). Thus, getting any on the CPU contacts or MOBO pins can be disastrous as it will cause a short across those contacts/pins. I am not sure exactly how non-conducive thermal compound will interfere, it may prevent transfer through one of the pins but I would think as long as there is some contact between the pin and the contact (i.e. not completely obstructed by the non-conducive thermal paste) it should still at least be not damaged if not still functional.

chugot9218

Honorable
Wait, I found your problem I think you do not have either the 24 pin board power or the 4 pin power plug inserted. Go to page 1.5.3 of your MOBO manual and look at the pointers for number 2, the "ATX Power Connectors (24-pin EATXPWR and 4-pin ATX12V). Plug that in and you should be good to go.

Aaand heres the link to download if you don't have a hard copy, it is page 1.5.3: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H61M_LX/#download

And make sure it's not a PCI plug going into the 4-pin, I think they are keyed to prevent this but I feel as though I heard someone do that before.

davidsh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It worked in my old case, and nothing is changed except the cpu cooler and also everything has been dis- and reconnected.
My new case is the corsair obsidian 550D

Thank you bwcause you are trying to help

chugot9218

Honorable
No worries, I know this kind of stuff sucks and I received lots of help here, gotta pay it forward. Unfortunately, I may have some bad news. If your case is indeed the 550D and you posted the correct board above, it is a mATX board, and according to this installation guide/run through ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize/3 ) the tech had to add some standoffs for the mATX configuration. You may not have realized this and screwed the MOBO into a screw hole that did not have a pre-placed standoff. I hope this is not the case but it may be, and if it is, there are a variety of parts that could have gone :/.

so you need 3 things to boot,
1. cpu
2. ram
3. video

i would skip cpu, but remove the gpu and reseat, do the same with the memory.
if that does not resolve the issue, clear cmos and try agian.
still wont boot pull video card and connect display to onboard and see if it boots, if so shut down and reseat the gpu and try agian.