Your question

$1050 gaming rig, need review!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2012 5:26:54 PM

This will be my first time building a PC, I posted a thread a little while ago and since then I have upgraded the parts. I will be ordering them soon, but I would first like a review to make sure I'm making a wise choice all around.

I would like this computer to be able to max out any game, and last me hopefully atleast a few years before having to upgrade.

I feel fairly confident about this build but I want as many opinions as possible because honestly I want this build to be as good as possible. One part I'm iffy about is making the decision between the solidstate 128gb/ 500gb hard drive or just a 1tb hard drive. So any review and helpful information/tips/etc is appreciated.

I will be using this computer for reasonably heavy gaming, music storage, movies, school work, and some programs such as guitar pro.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kGK1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kGK1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kGK1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Total: $1061.58

More about : 1050 gaming rig review

a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 5:56:53 PM

i think you are fine with this build and you will max most of the games and about the storage the ssd is a fine choice and as you want a 1tb of storage you can add this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
pay about $15 more to get this , its 250gb more storage.

GOOD LUCK :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 7:26:37 PM

Looks like a killer build. on the SSD question, I'd say you don't need the WD black because presumably all your fast access stuff would be on the SSD. So drop down to a 1TB blue, instead, and get the best of both worlds.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 18, 2012 11:14:05 PM

I would upgrade the HDD, of course its personal preference but i would pick up a seagate 1tb, awesome quality and on the cheaper end of things.
Nice build nonetheless. Good luck.

-Morg
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:22:35 PM

your build is awesome, youll be just fine with the hard drive and the ssd that you picked, but for the ssd i would get a ocx vertex 4 or samsung 830 drive, you probly wont use all that storage for a long time, ive been using my laptop for 2 years and ive only filled up about 200 gb. and if you need more storage you can always add more later
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2012 11:23:03 PM

Newegg has 256GB Samsung 830 for $169 which is a pretty good deal.

You don't need a 750w PSU unless you plan to crossfire in the future. AMD only recommends 500w, but you might want a little more if you plan to raise the voltage a lot for an overclock.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:35:49 PM

Personally I've been running a Corsair F180 or almost 2 years now. At a whopping 169 gigabytes of storage space it'd be considered really tight for the average person.
m
l
October 19, 2012 12:11:30 AM

solid build. agree with the others that your storage choices are not optimal.

You said you'd be using it for music and movies, then 500gb will not be enough.
You can quadruple that to 2gb with bulk non-black HDD for not much more.

You shouldn't choose between ssd/500gb vs 1tb drive. You should have
ssd/2tb drive.

If you have a hard budget take the money out from somewhere else-like maybe not getting the k processor or saving money on the GPU/PSU.

new computer, give yourself headroom to do it right.
m
l