Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7770 crossfire is my psu enough

Last response: in Components
Share
March 2, 2013 9:18:41 AM

currently i have a 7770 vapor x and i have a gigabyte powerock 500w is it enough my rest of pc
3570k not oc right now
arock z77 extreme 4
8gig of ram
1 tb hdd
cm storm scout 2

More about : 7770 crossfire psu

a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2013 10:58:33 AM

Yes; the total wattage for that build is 440 watts, so you are good.
March 2, 2013 11:23:20 AM

I think better can get a high watts PSU before u get another 7770 for crossfire.
If u dont mind that ur PSU overstress , then it is fine.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2013 11:56:39 AM

440 is to close... you want 650w for an overhead and a decent lifespan.
over stressing the psu will shorten its life to possibly weeks. if its a good psu then maybe a year.
500w psu's rarely put out 500w max often there around 420 constant and 480 peak. depending on quality.
if its a very cheap 1 then it may only put out 320. so check the amps and do the math.
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2013 12:32:54 PM

It's not the greatest PSU in the world but with 2 18A 12V rails you should be absolutely fine.
The HD7770 has a recommended PSU of 500W but that's a huge overstatement. Realhardtechx reckon 430W and even that is very safe, the card only has a tdp of around 80W.

Realistically you aren't going to be drawing much more than 200W for the system. Say 250W under max load.
Even a crappy 500W PSU should manage that fine.

*EDIT* Just one thing, those values are before you factor in overclocking. You should still be comfortable, but the margins will change.
a c 1108 ) Power supply
March 2, 2013 2:09:19 PM

For a system using two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The GIGABYTE PoweRock 500W (GE-N500A-C2), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

Measured power consumption of a single Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X 1 GB GDDR5 at factory clocks (i.e. for the graphics card only) Core Clock: 1100 MHz, Memory Clock: 1300 MHz:
Furmark: 99.64 Watts
Gaming: 80.32 Watts

When overclocked to Core Clock: 1150 MHz, Memory Clock: 1400 MHz:
Furmark: 105.70 Watts
Gaming: 83.98 Watts
April 5, 2013 6:02:04 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The GIGABYTE PoweRock 500W (GE-N500A-C2), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps and with [#339900•••#cc0000•••]two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors[/#339900•••#cc0000•••], is sufficient to power your system configuration with two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

Measured power consumption of a single Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X 1 GB GDDR5 at factory clocks (i.e. for the graphics card only) Core Clock: 1100 MHz, Memory Clock: 1300 MHz:
Furmark: 99.64 Watts
Gaming: 80.32 Watts

When overclocked to Core Clock: 1150 MHz, Memory Clock: 1400 MHz:
Furmark: 105.70 Watts
Gaming: 83.98 Watts


Do you think this power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) would be enough to handle two of the 2gb 7770s (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)?

Thanks for any response.
a c 260 ) Power supply
April 6, 2013 7:18:53 AM

paragong said:
ko888 said:
For a system using two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The GIGABYTE PoweRock 500W (GE-N500A-C2), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps and with [#339900•••#cc0000•••]two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors[/#339900•••#cc0000•••], is sufficient to power your system configuration with two Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

Measured power consumption of a single Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X 1 GB GDDR5 at factory clocks (i.e. for the graphics card only) Core Clock: 1100 MHz, Memory Clock: 1300 MHz:
Furmark: 99.64 Watts
Gaming: 80.32 Watts

When overclocked to Core Clock: 1150 MHz, Memory Clock: 1400 MHz:
Furmark: 105.70 Watts
Gaming: 83.98 Watts


Do you think this power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) would be enough to handle two of the 2gb 7770s (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)?

Thanks for any response.


Hi - I wouldn't get the PSU you linked. CM has a poor reputation with PSU's.
Stick with a quality unit. There are a lot of good 550's out there and they are
more than sufficient for your system.

Here's some to consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... same $ as that CM, but a better unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... quality 650w nets to $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... quality 650w nets to $60

Also, just curious, why 2 7770's & not 1 7950? for same $$.
April 6, 2013 8:02:37 AM

I already have the psu and one 7770. I was playing with the idea of crossfiring am curious if I would even be able to do it with my current setup
a c 260 ) Power supply
April 6, 2013 12:33:03 PM

paragong said:
I already have the psu and one 7770. I was playing with the idea of crossfiring am curious if I would even be able to do it with my current setup


Ah, I see.

April 6, 2013 2:14:42 PM

I doubt that psu would have enough power connectors so there's that.
a c 260 ) Power supply
April 6, 2013 2:55:40 PM

Norlag said:
I doubt that psu would have enough power connectors so there's that.


Hi - 7770"s only require 1 each, his current psu has 2.
April 7, 2013 8:29:06 AM

toyftw said:
Norlag said:
I doubt that psu would have enough power connectors so there's that.


Hi - 7770"s only require 1 each, his current psu has 2.


I was too lazy to check lol.
a c 260 ) Power supply
April 7, 2013 12:33:05 PM

:no: 
Norlag said:
toyftw said:
Norlag said:
I doubt that psu would have enough power connectors so there's that.


Hi - 7770"s only require 1 each, his current psu has 2.


I was too lazy to check lol.


:no:  LOL
!