Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build- help? tips? Liquidcooling suggestions?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2012 7:02:40 PM

I'm going to first post the parts I'm looking into as well as What I already bought. I've put the required info such as budget and the pricelist under a spoiler because it's long as I've tried to add as much detail as possible. I may edit this once I get home so it looks cleaner/ easier to read as well as the links to where the part is or to finish what I'm typing.

I do live in Canada as I metion below fo I expect some price differance/ Taxes/ shipping prices to make the parts a bit pricier. Also, i should mention that this is my first time building a computer myself.

Spoiler
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: somewhere between three weeks to 4 months.

Budget Range: $1,000 CDN -$2,800 CDN But I'm willing to go a bit higher if I need to.. when I mean a bit, I mean UNDER $3,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing, Graphic Design/ Digital art, movies, music, web Browsing, General useage -ex: word processing

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe. I've considered as the power button on my current one is broken.

Parts to Upgrade: not sure.

Do you need to buy OS: No. Already Purchased.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and futureshop.ca

Location: Sydney (cloest computer sores to my current home), Nova Scotia, Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD FX-8150 8-core, GeForce GTX 670

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: unsure. Some part I'm eying say SLI one other says Crossfire ready

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: Looking into using a combination of Liquid Cooling and air cooling? Is this Possible? Case came with 5 fans preinstalled. I plan on only using 2 top fans, one fron fant and the two built int side fans. Case supports up to 7 fans and has rear apratures for Liquid cooling. If i invest in liquid cooling, i want the tubes to glow blue to coinside with the computer's black/ Blue color scheme. Also, considering my choice of parts, one friend says that i seem to have futureproofed this build to some extent. Have I?

Also one thing that i read on a fourm regarding my case is that if you want to use a second fan on the top of the case, the upper most drive bay MUST be free. This leaves me with 4 useable drivebays which I'm fine with.

Why Are You Upgrading?: I'm going from a HP slimeline to an actual sized computer. One complaint I have about my current PC -aka the Crabhammer- Is that It's difficult to upgrade as it needs special slimline designed parts. Also since it's a 32 Bit, my RAM Capacity is limited. That and the CD Bay doesn't live DVDs -both blank and movies/ game DVDs anymore.

List of parts NAMES THAT HAVE BEEN STRUCK OUT HAVE ALREADY BEEN BOUGHT

Case: Zalman Mid Tower Computer Case (Z11 PLUS) BOUGHT FOR $69.99CDN AFTER ISSUES WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SHIPPING AROUSE.

O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Bought in store at futureshop in CDN

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Desktop Memory (newegg.com)

Hard Drives:

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 480 GB [Will house O/S, Antvirus, and one game. This will be my C Drive] (newegg.com)
HDD: Any HDD that's at least 3 TB. No preferance in brand. [This will house everything else from my other games to music and pictures etc.]

CD/ DVD Bays: LG Black CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback LightScribe Support - OEM [I'm getting 2 of these] (newegg.com)

motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX [This comes with 2x 4 GB Ram sticks which I'll be selling] (newegg.com)

Graphics/ video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (newegg.com)

CPU: AMD FX-8150 8-core [i know that people will try to say "but intel's better" but I love the AMD and Nvida combo i have in my Crabhammer so why not? Plus for an 8 core, this AMD CPU is relatively cheap considering] (newegg)

Powersuply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 730W Build-in Blue LED Fan [will upgrade if not enough power for my machiene but the price and the color has me sold!] (newegg.com)

Network card: Rosewill RC-400 Networking LAN Card With Heatsink & 4 LED indicators [willing to change/ upgrade] (newegg.com)

Other:

Fans: ZALMAN ZM-F3BL (Blue LED) 120mm CNPS Quiet Cooler Case Fan to match the fan on the top of my case. [Will be removing the fan on the back of the computer to accmodate a Liquidcooling system] (ebay.com or anywhere reliable)

Liquid cooling: I need help with this one. A good system/ kit that's not too expensive PLEASE! I'm hoping i can get it/ the tube to Light up. will tha requre LEDs or UV lights/tubing? Again the main color scheme of the computer is black and blue. I know i've seen one system a year or two ago where you could pull out a tray to add water. i want to place this in /around a free Drive bay. The HDD/ SDD are located behind the front fan -on the bottom front of the case- so they have their own little area.

So based on my parts do I need a liquid cooling system? The setup I invision has the tubes visable and lowing (UV tubes and UV lighting needed?) like you see in some google sear images on liquid cooling systems. Here's the thing: I have a basic understanding on Liquid cooling systems and I'd rather just buy a kit so i know i have all the right parts. Thankfully this site saved me from buying a horrible one that I had considered buying. Can anyone reccomend a good Liduid cooling system with the glowing tubing or what i may need to achieve that effect? Also, will tha Liquid cooling system work with 3 air fans (two top one front)? The font one will most likely need to stay as that one is positioned preaty much in the area where the HDD and SDD will he housed. If I can use a combination of the two will i need some sort of adapter to connect all the fans+ the Liquid coolinf system into one socket?

Considering I'm sinking about $2,000 CDN on "The Torrent" -my name for this build and it's name has some half decent reasons, feel free to ask if you're curious about the origins of the name- I need a bit of help and tips as is my first build ever. Also, if you notice anything I can add or get rid of or even that is incompatable or needs more power from a better power supply etc. Please let me know.

PS: i'm not worried about the USB ports. the motherboard and Case combine provdes me with 10 USB ports in total (6x 2.0 and 4x 3.0)

If you need more detail or have any questions/ comments, feel free to let me know.

Edit: PLEASE don't tell me to go with an Intel processor. I've already made my choice. I'll get a better one for less money. Yes I know Intel's preformance may be a bit better in some areas but I'll be happier and better off with the FX-8150.

About the SSD/ HDD combo extra space will used up don't worry. And I can fill a 177 GB HDD no problem.

Also, since my specs may seem overpowered, can anyone tell me if it's futureproofed to some extent or not?

More about : build tips liquidcooling suggestions

October 18, 2012 7:23:42 PM

Your current monitor is 1024x768, and you wish to spend up to $2800 on a new system.

For the love of god, please buy a monitor with a resolution of at least 1920x1080, preferably higher if you're doing the big bucks.

It seems you're quite set on the FX-8150, but I am still going to recommend a 3570k processor to you. Again if you're spending that much, a few extra $ for the faster processor is logical.

There is absolutely NO NEED for a 480GB SSD for just your OS and one game, a 120GB drive will perform the EXACT same at hundreds of dollars less.

I Run a 60GB SSD with my OS, EVERY application (100's) installed onto it, aswell as BF3 with every expansion. Getting cramped with 60GB now, but 480GB is overkill.

PSU's are not my area of expertise, I do not know which one to recommend to you, but I would pick with a bit more juice then 530w.

As for liquid cooling, you don't NEED it. Nobody really NEEDS it. It's more of a fancy hobbyist activity, that DOES provide a bit of extra function over air cooling. It's fun to do, it looks great, it allows lower temperatures for higher overclocks, but again it is never 'Needed' over air cooling.
m
l
October 18, 2012 10:17:43 PM

azathoth said:
Your current monitor is 1024x768, and you wish to spend up to $2800 on a new system.

For the love of god, please buy a monitor with a resolution of at least 1920x1080, preferably higher if you're doing the big bucks.

It seems you're quite set on the FX-8150, but I am still going to recommend a 3570k processor to you. Again if you're spending that much, a few extra $ for the faster processor is logical.

There is absolutely NO NEED for a 480GB SSD for just your OS and one game, a 120GB drive will perform the EXACT same at hundreds of dollars less.

I Run a 60GB SSD with my OS, EVERY application (100's) installed onto it, aswell as BF3 with every expansion. Getting cramped with 60GB now, but 480GB is overkill.

PSU's are not my area of expertise, I do not know which one to recommend to you, but I would pick with a bit more juice then 530w.

As for liquid cooling, you don't NEED it. Nobody really NEEDS it. It's more of a fancy hobbyist activity, that DOES provide a bit of extra function over air cooling. It's fun to do, it looks great, it allows lower temperatures for higher overclocks, but again it is never 'Needed' over air cooling.

Wow. That was a lot of help /sarcasm. :pfff: 

I don't wanna be rude or anything but, I found your reply to be rude and fanboying is in full view. Anyway, lets get down to business.

Actually the resolution I selected was my current monitor. If you saw, I explicitly said I may sick with my current monitor for a while after my build is finished -i'm not spending $3,00 or more to upgrade a monitor right off the bat. All I know is my current monitor is 17" with a broken power button. I'm thinking on upgrading to a monitor somewhere in the range of 19" - 21". Again I'm CONSIDERING it. I never said I'd buy a new monitor.

All I can afford right now is under $1,500 -which means i can get a few parts. In 2 weeks I'll be laid off so I'll only be spending so much. As for the $2, 800, that's my projected cost of the computer with shipping -if any- and Tax. it's also if the parts were at full price, that's also taking into consideration the fact the the price for most of the parts is in USD not CDN, so the range was adjusted to accommodate that. I said I may be willing to spend a tad bit more -ie liquid cooling system- as long as the price stayed somewhere below $3,000. Once I get a job I'll buy the remaining parts.

I just got out of collage, I'm being laid off in a week and If my parents knew I would be spending what I am on the computer, they'd put their foot down and try to keep me from doing it. Yes I'm 19 just out of collage and I'm living with my parents. I'd like to see someone with little to no credit get a small 2 bedroom 1 bath home for under $90,000 just after collage around here. So don't judge.

I knew mentioning the FX-8150 would bring a few the Intel fanboys to the yard. the Reason I Chose AMD is because i love their processors and I find that AMD and NVIDIA work well together -My current Desktop Is Called Crabhammer after it's processor. Not only that but AMD's processors are default 64 bit and are already unlocked for easier overclocking. Sorry, But I'll be sticking with AMD on this one. I'm paying less for more cores, a bigger cache and hyperthreading support. Sorry but I WILL be Sticking with the FX-8150.

Please read the SSD/ HD again.

SSD will Hold the O/S, A game and antivirus software, and that's what I'm considering putting on it ATM. I'll probably install more things onto it yet. A 120GB Drive won't do a thing. My current HDD is 177 GB and is almost full of music, video, and other files. So a 3 TB HDD to me will give me plenty of space for my music and videos etc. The only Reason a Game is going on the SSD is because System Shock 2 WON'T work on any drive other that C. I've tried. If you manage to get it to work on a different drive let me know. The SSD is also a god backup drive in case my HDD dies or isn't compatible or if I need to get a HDD with a smaller TB count.

I ask about liquid cooling because I hear the AMD core runs kind of hot and i just want to make sure I can keep it cool. besides where the tower will be situated the airflow's not bad but I'm worried about keeping it cool. Last time I had a computer in my Desk's computer compartment I was running Win 98 and the thing overheated and blew. That was like 5 years ago. Shortly after "Old Reliable" died, I bought my current PC the "Crabhammer" -which is small enough to fit on my desk next to my monitor- and I don't want to risk that.

I asked about the Air vs Liquid cooling because i wanted to see if 7 fans would be more practical/ would keep it cool enough or if liquid cooling would be a better option.

The only thing I found useful in your post was you suggesting to get a more powerful PSU Which I was expecting as well, however I figured i needed a more powerful PSU.

Can I get a second oppion from someone on this.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 11:49:39 AM

*Bump*

can anyone else help me on this? I really need some help.
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:55:59 AM

The FX series doesn't have hyperthreading support. It's also not a true octa-core. It's "modules" are more than one hyperthreaded core, but perform far worse than two non-hyperthreaded Ivy cores. At that budget I'd suggest a 3770K though. The 8350 is a maybe, but if you want lot's of gaming I'd get the i7.

I vote against closed loop liquid cooling as it's usually overpriced and underperforms compared to a decent air cooler. Go for the real thing or not at all.

Raidmax makes CRAP PSUs.

Not sure if buying $2k+ of computer parts is a good idea if you're going to be laid off, but I'll make a build.
m
l
October 26, 2012 12:06:17 PM

Intel Build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($194.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.93 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($676.00 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2577.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

AMD:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($194.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($145.71 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.93 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($676.00 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2518.06

You can leave one of the 7970 GHz Editions for later, and hopefully getting AMD GPUs will offset the lack of FX.

Not sure about the mobo on the AMD build. Feel free to change it.
m
l

Best solution

October 26, 2012 12:20:28 PM

Kudos to you for supporting the AMD CPUs!
Though if you're going that route, the FX-8150 is already getting obsolete since the very much improved Piledriver series just got released a few days ago.

In short, get the FX-8350. :lol:  It outperforms the 8150 in every aspect.
It's not as powerful as the i7 in terms of multi-threaded performance, but it performs fairly close to it.

As for single-threaded programs go, it's not that great. It's almost on the levels of the i5 though.

With your current monitor resolution, any video card we suggest will be overkill, so yes a new monitor should be in order.

Taking into account most(if not all) your preferences, here's what I've came up with.
You don't need to max your budget, really.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($186.96 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($374.88 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.89 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2011.14

Feel free to add another 670 for SLI in the future to make the most out of the 120Hz monitor.

If you really only want to buy from Newegg CA, please click the price breakdown link.
Though $100 is saved if you buy from the suggested stores.

I'd like to point out though that the 7970 or 7970GHz outperforms the 670 on essentially everything save Nvidia-optimized games.
October 26, 2012 12:24:49 PM

Why two BD drives?

Still haven't bothered to have a good look at AM3+ mobos and chipsets yet, so I suppose I should
m
l
October 26, 2012 12:36:11 PM

I'm not really sure. Just followed what he asked for. :p 

Quote:
CD/ DVD Bays: LG Black CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback LightScribe Support - OEM [I'm getting 2 of these] (newegg.com)
m
l
October 26, 2012 12:41:05 PM

excella1221 said:
I'm not really sure. Just followed what he asked for. :p 

Quote:

Missed that. Oops.
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:01:33 PM

excella1221 said:
Kudos to you for supporting the AMD CPUs!
Though if you're going that route, the FX-8150 is already getting obsolete since the very much improved Piledriver series just got released a few days ago.

In short, get the FX-8350. :lol:  It outperforms the 8150 in every aspect.
It's not as powerful as the i7 in terms of multi-threaded performance, but it performs fairly close to it.

As for single-threaded programs go, it's not that great. It's almost on the levels of the i5 though.

With your current monitor resolution, any video card we suggest will be overkill, so yes a new monitor should be in order.

Taking into account most(if not all) your preferences, here's what I've came up with.
You don't need to max your budget, really.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($186.96 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($374.88 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.89 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2011.14

Feel free to add another 670 for SLI in the future to make the most out of the 120Hz monitor.

If you really only want to buy from Newegg CA, please click the price breakdown link.
Though $100 is saved if you buy from the suggested stores.

I'd like to point out though that the 7970 or 7970GHz outperforms the 670 on essentially everything save Nvidia-optimized games.

Thank you! Finially someone who isn't suggesting Intel.

I'll certainly look into AMD's newest processor. I didn't even know it was released yet. Thanks for the heads up. Seeing as though AMD has finially delivered on whatthe bulldozer SHOULD have been and that there's not much difference in the price I'm more than willing to go for the FX-8350.

As for the moniter, I have mulled it over since I posted i would consider it and I will be buying one, just not right away. After buying the parts i may not have enough for the moniter. i may ask my parents to get it for me for christmas. The suggestions for the moniters are a bit pricy, however, i found a nice little Asus 20"-21.5" moniter at Staples so i'm debating. See the link below.

I love your suggestions and how true they've stayed to what I had in mind. The price range is also a lot closer to what I have in mind if I were to put in a liquid cooling system. This is great! What I already have saved on my own is preaty darn close tothe expected price range of these parts.

Also, a lot of the games I play are either Nvidia-optimized or old games... And when I mean old I mean games released in the 90's -I have 3 90's games System Shock (1994) Need for speed 3 hot pursuit (1998?) and System Shock 2 (1999)- So I think that will be great!

It seems that just like by Current Desktop -The Crabhammer- It's possible to have a computer with the AMD and Nvidia combo. Thank you so much.

Since at this point i'm still stuck between investing in a liquid cooling system or not (still open to suggestions on a good kit or if someone could help me in making my own by indivudual parts), I'll need to ask about lighting... As in this:

My case comes with 5 preinstalled fans, 2 of which are blue LEDs. I'm planning on buying another blue LED fan to match the LED top fan on my case. However, the lighting from that will be only visable on the top and by a small clear window in the side panel. Is there anyway I can increase the blue lighting effects in the case?

Also about the BDs, Ihave my reasons... one of them being the fact that my current computer only has one and that one isn't too fond of certain CDs, resuses to read/ burn to ANY DVD and it's slow to read them. Not to mention my parent's computer has 2 and one of theirs died last year and the only thing that saved them was their second BD which still functioned.

Also I'm going with that specific BD because it can do so much for such a good price -in my books anyway.
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:08:46 PM

If you're only getting a 1080p screen then even one 670 is slightly overkill.

You can probably find some blue LED strips on ebay or dealextreme.

Really old games will run on anything fine assuming they run in that version of windows in the first place.
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:27:36 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
If you're only getting a 1080p screen then even one 670 is slightly overkill.

You can probably find some blue LED strips on ebay or dealextreme.

Really old games will run on anything fine assuming they run in that version of windows in the first place.

alright. i think i have a link saved somewhere for blue LED Strips.

As for the games one is a port which works for the most part on windows 7. I may have to port the other and theoldest game will be a challange as it needs DOSBox to run XD.

The issue with all the moniters I've viewed so far is they have no speakers. that's fine as most of the times i'm using headphones anyway- but lately ive've been holding skype calls while doing other things in my room or even incase my hadphones die speakers would be nice... then again i could also buy a sound system/speakers for the computer later on down the road.
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:30:23 PM

Speakers in the screen generally aren't very good. A half-decent set of speakers should be fairly cheap though.
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:02:52 PM

You won't really need water cooling for you setup, hun.
High-end air coolers would already be plenty, unless you're gonna do high amounts of OC, that is.
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:10:43 PM

excella1221 said:
You won't really need water cooling for you setup, hun.
High-end air coolers would already be plenty, unless you're gonna do high amounts of OC, that is.

Would ZALMAN ZM-F3BL (Blue LED) 120mm CNPS Quiet Cooler Case Fan be good enough? I'll have 2 top mounted -there's was one already mounted on the top when i bought my case- and one on the front.

I'm not sure what the one's are build into the side of the case, or the one on the back and i still have space on the bottom for another fan. Are these any good and if not, what are some good brands? I think i've seen some blue LED fans elsewhere before.

Oh and while i'm thinking about it, will I need any Thermal Compound for the CPU or dies it come with it?

Sorry if my demand/questions for blue LEDs are getting annoying. It's just fitting with the theme I have in mind for my computer
m
l
October 26, 2012 4:14:29 PM

The Zalman case fan should be fine. Though if you already have 5 pre-installed, I don't see the need to add more.

Pretty sure it has a stock thermal compound with it.
If not though, I suggest the Artic Silver.
m
l
October 30, 2012 5:13:27 PM

excella1221 said:
The Zalman case fan should be fine. Though if you already have 5 pre-installed, I don't see the need to add more.

Pretty sure it has a stock thermal compound with it.
If not though, I suggest the Artic Silver.

Any specifics on Arctic Silver? I'm looking as several different one of Newegg.ca and i don't know what one to get. After tomorrow's paycheck I should be able to afford the whole computer when i have the appropriate method to buy it
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:26:28 PM

Ok guys I had to substitute some parts for the computer but it doesn't bother me because the parts were around the same price or cheaper. Regardless I have a few more questions about the parts.

Also my parents got me an Asus VS247H-P monitor for Christmas. My desk doesn't have enough room for a 27' monitor ATM and besides it was in around what you guys suggested and in truth I was going to settle for an Asus 21" until my dad noticed the VS247H-P had more features and was on sale -it was a few dollars cheaper that the 21".

Anyway, onto the parts I wanna ask about

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W

Now I'm planning on going for an SLI set up and I want to know if a 850W PSU will be enough to handle two EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW LE graphics cards. I don't want the computer to lag or anything because the power supply isn't strong enough. Also I'm wondering if there is any good brand names that are reliable that I can get for a cheaper price.

Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA

Since I'll be doing heavy gaming/ video and graphics I want to make sure that this will be the best with my needs. Also, i haven't seen it anywhere but what's the Maximum RAM that this Mobo can handle? I know that Windows 7 Ultimate 192 GB but I want to know how much RAM the mobo can handle. I'm planning to put in 16-32 GB of RAM into my computer.

Additional cords needed/splitter cables? : additional fans and USB port issues

Something I noticed and realized is that I may need more cords for my build. You see, I have a total of 6 fans; one front, two side, one back and two top mounted. I'm not sure where I'll plug in all those fans into. In addition the Computer case comes with 4 USB ports and the SD card bay I bought comes with an additional 2 USB ports.

Long story short I'm not sure where and how I'm supposed to plug in 6 fans, 2 CD bays a HDD, a SDD and a memory card reader bay. Will I need a few splitter cables?

SDD tray/SDD mounting help?

Now I don't know if anyone had seen the set up of a Zalman Z11 plus case but... Basically there is a gap between the right side of the case and the frame for cable management. However there is a spot provided on the back of M/B plate for installing 2.5" HDD/SSD. However I'm wondering If I have to buy a mount for the SDD.

A 3.5“ HDD / 2.5" HDD / SSD bracket was included with the case that's why I ask. I'm tempted to use that bracket and mount the SSD in the same area as the HDD but I'm not sure if the HDD will come with a bracket or not.

BIOS and Hardware software installation

Now I'm not one to mess around with the BIOS, but once I have everything set up -hardware wise- will I have to configure the bios before i install Windows 7? Will I have to install the CD Bays, the Graphics cards etc before I install the OS? Also after I make a back up on the computer, should I stress test anything or just start using and backing up everything?

I want to know because I'll be buying the SSD, Mobo and the PSU next, leaving the second GPU, SLI bridge, HDD and Ram for last -and any remaining parts that I may need.
m
l
December 26, 2012 2:05:11 PM

Bump

Reason I'm bumping this a day after my last reply is because New Egg.ca has it's boxing day sales on and right now the PSUs and the SSD I want are going for a good price and I want to place my order before the sale ends.

I want to know if i can get a good brand PSU for under $200 and if so what would be a good brand. I've seen some 1000W PSU's for cheaper than the OCZ ZX Series 850W on newegg.ca
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:25:51 PM

Best answer selected by TidalWaves.
m
l
!