Is my GTX 680 Broken?

aleksanderdev

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2012
Hi.
I'm beginning to believe that my GTX 680 HDMI port is broken.
In the uefi i set igpu as primary and plugged my monitor into the motherboards HDMI and everything works.
But as soon as i change primary to my gtx 680 and plug my monitor into its HDMI port i get no signal.
I tested the other 2 DVI ports and they work.
I dont have a display cabel so not sure if that works.

Im trying to setup my 3 27" monitors.

Specs:
I7 3770k
Z77 Sabertooth
GTX 680 Asus CUII Top
16GB corsair vengeance 1866mhz.
Corsair H100
Force GT 120 Gig ssd.

I dont know what to do, so plz help me :)

R3alityzzzzz

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hello Lad,
Your VGA can be broken, but before I state that, I have a question for You!
Did You try to blow the dust out?
If You did and it's still not working, buy DVI or VGA cable and try to use them. It can be a problem with your HDMI port in Your VGA.
Hope it helps!

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012

VGA? VGA = NOT the graphics card, do not confuse things.
Do you have another monitor or TV with an HDMI port. Try to connect other devices to your GPU and see how that turns out.
- Fastreaction

R3alityzzzzz

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Whoops! Yup sorry. I meant GPU.

Back in the day people used to refer to graphics cards as being "video graphics adapter" due to marketing ect which was very common in the 1990s then mostly died out in the last decade.

R3alityzzzzz

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

That is the point. I was thinking about Video Graphics Adapter = VGA in my head. Damn it!
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. I'll keep that in mind ;)

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
We see VGA more like input. Like HDMI, VGA, DVI etc. It is very confusing since the real "VGA" which was supposed to be the graphics card is not really called like that anymore. We now all see it as graphics card or just GPU ;).

- Fastreaction

aleksanderdev

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2012
Hi thanks for the answear.
I have tried all the 3 different monitors with different HDMI cables.
I also recived the GPU today so never used it before.

On monday i will get papers to send it back, for repair and ill get a brand new one.

But im hoping there is some software problem that i can fix, but I have no clue about where or what to do after the 5 houres i just spent doing everything i thought of.

srftwhm

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
You should try a clean install of the drivers and if it doesnt fix the problems your having get it swapped out asap.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Not a bad suggestion but he did state that his DVI ports worked so to me that says they are plugged in.

aleksanderdev

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2012
Hi. Yeah tried reboot a gazillion times, with only the hdmi port connected.
Tested both the 301 and 304 beta driver.

Some ppl said they got there connected by plugging it in after windows start,
some say that aslong as they had a dvi connected the hdmi wouldnt connect. (think that gose for the igpu)
Others with the z77 Series motherboard have had difficulties with the hdmi port but they got on both motherboard and gpu.
My mobo works fine.

tester with the bios multiscreen on and off.

R3alityzzzzz

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
PCI-E slots, not plugs.
Nvidia 6** series are using PCI-E 3.0 slots, so try removing the GPU and getting dust out of there. I personally recommed buying DVI cable and try to use that!

Sounds like you got a $500+ dollar brick. Try the dvi ports and if nothing displays look for any led codes on the board or listen for any beep codes. If there is nothing you better try a different card because sometimes boards do have problems. Do you have a second machine to at least test your 680?