A Question on a slow computer

G

Firstly my system specs are as follow.
800 Mhz Athlon
256 SD133 ram
Asus K7V motherboard
20 gig Western Digital 7200RPM HD
Running Windows 2000

The problem is that the computer has recently started running quite a bit slower (The last time I rebooted it took 18 minutes). However after the computer has been on for a while it will begin to run better. It doesnt seem to ever quite be as good as it used to though. I dont think it is a software problem because have formatted my harddrive and it gives no improvement. I was also having problems under windows 98 as well as 2000 pro. My computer recieves some relatively rough treatment. I am a college student so it has made about several trips between home and school. Also I recently noticed that the fan on my power supply was dead. I have replaced this. I am just wondering what could possibly be causing this, or how I could find out more about what is going wrong. Is it possible that the hard drive could be running slower. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Shannon Cole

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Have you tried running the diagnostics the Western Digital provides to see if it's the drive? I see that you are a college student and all but have you tried another hard drive in the system to see if it has the same problem?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unless you have done it already, defragment. I've got the same drive on a much slower system, an AMD K6-2 450, and it runs quite well.