Solved

CPU or GPU upgrade? Celeron D with onboard 946gz graphics

Hiya guys! How're you doin?
So.. I have this decision to make - should i get an HD 4670 (or a similar GFX card) or a similarly priced dual-core processor for my current rig? I've only got the budget for one upgrade. I'm hoping to play games in the 2005-2006 era, I really need to know if upgrading from my onboard graphics while still keeping my Celly is gonna run my games :O And btw, where I live, prices of CPUs are almost as high as the combination of a GFX card and a PSU, so if I've decided to buy a GFX card, I'm gonna buy a 350-450w to get me around. It's the decision that's important, because my current onboard GFX chipset combined with my Celly can't run diddly squat :(
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade celeron onboard 946gz graphics
  1. I'd suggest finding yourself a Trinity chip and compatible mobo. Two birds with one stone etc.
  2. Well that would be an option in about 4 more years, when I get my new rig, for now, I can't afford getting a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and not to mention, the GPU. I want to be able to play 'old' games, couldn't I just make do with the LGA775 motherboard I currently have? What I mean is, if my options are restricted to only buying anything between a GPU and a CPU, what should I get to get the most performance right now?
  3. The problem is trying to maintain a balance, if you go for a amazing GPU the CPU will cause a bottleneck, but in some games upgrading the CPU wont make as much difference as a good GPU.

But then again a new CPU would make things quicker.

Just my 517.00 Ugandan shillings.
  4. I would suggest the GPU. Maybe a 7750.

Make sure you get a decent PSU - a bad one can blow up and take the rest of your system with it.
  5. So...
    Both of you just told me two different things :pt1cable: I'm pretty surprised at the rarity of this question, has no one ever thought of getting the most out of their upgrades before? :D
    OK so maybe if I specify my needs you guys'll be able to get a better view of what I'm looking for:
    Let's suppose I want to play Doom 3 (at around 40-ish FPS on medium). Now I have two options:
    *My current CPU paired up with a decent GPU;
    *My on-board 946gz for graphics while rocking a dual-core processor (C2Duo e7xxx at max) in the same price range as that GPU.

Between these two options, which should I choose, given that I'm only going to play games of the 2006 era? Would getting a better CPU run my games without a dedicated GPU?

And thank you SOO much for answering, I thought I'd get about zero answers :)
  6. Best answer
    you can go with the Pentium D830 and pair that with a 9800gt

Pentium D830: $28
    GeForce 9800GT: $60

it can handle bf2 fine with at least 1gb of ram, the D830 may bottleneck the 9800GT a little bit so you'll want to upgrade it later on
  7. Best answer selected by petethezipper.
  8. So I'll go with the D830 for now, and buy the 9800gt (or something else, if anything better turns up) next month. Thanks for the REs :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Systems Product