Sign in with
Your question

7970 Low Framerate

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 2:31:04 PM

Hey guys, I just purchased a 7970 today to replace my 560. When I got home I replaced the 560 with the 7970 and installed the Ati drivers and uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and made sure I had downloaded all the right programs to run the 7970. But as soon as I booted up Battlefield 3 I found my self at a constant 10-20 fps with everything on high. I have the same experience on every other game I play so I don't think its just Battlefield. I checked my gpu rate in the MSI after burner and it said everything was running as it should except for the gpu, which was only running at 20% max. This normally points towards a cpu bottleneck issue, but I have an i5-2500 3.3Ghz which apparently should not have an issue running this.

My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 Cpu @3.3Ghz
Ram: 8 gigs @1600mhz
Gpu: XFX - R7970 Black edition
Psu: Cooler Master 650W
Sound Card: X-fi titanium fatal1ty pro

Please help me if you can.

Cheers.

More about : 7970 low framerate

August 24, 2012 2:40:25 PM

Based on your wording, did you uninstall the nvidia drivers before you installed the ATI ones? You might want to uninstall all drivers, use drive sweeper to make sure all the nvidia drivers are gone then reinstall the ATI ones from scratch.

Do you have anything running in the background. An issue I've had with my 7950, if Windows Media Center is open, or a web page that uses flash, the card stays in low power mode rather than ramping up to full speed (clock stays at 500mhz).
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:48:28 PM

Thanks for your quick reply :) 

Well I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers before installing my ATI, but I didn't use driver sweeper until I ran into this issue.

Yeah I closed all my background programs as well as I had heard that that can be an issue with Ati cards but nothing changed. I think I might just reinstall the drivers quickly and see if that helps.

Appreciate the help, thanks :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 3:17:55 PM

Well I'll be damned that actually helped quite a bit, thank you. But The max gpu usage is still only around 50% and as a result im only getting around 35-40fps, which is much better, but this card should be getting much, much more, especially considering it cost me $520. So do you have any other suggestions?

Once again, thanks alot I'm really appreciating your help.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:21:37 PM

I played for a bit longer and on the larger maps I still only get around 25 fps when on the ground and stuff is going on, and when that happens it seems to use far less of the gpu, only around 30%.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:25:26 PM

Have you checked in ATi control panel you dont have power tune on -20% or something?

The fact the GPU isn't 100% utilized is pointing to something wierd going on. Your 7970 should be ripping thru BF3 at a near constant 60fps.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:28:20 PM

Ok I just had an intresting experience with the card. I ran an msi Kombuster physic's bench mark and suddenly the gpu usage jumped to 99% and the card got insanly lound, and I got around 150 fps in the benchmark. What does this mean?
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:32:11 PM

Ok I just tried out Sleeping Dogs. The gpu usage goes up in areas which do not require much rendering but then it goes down when alot of rendering is required causing my frame rate to plummet. This is rather frustrating
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:49:59 PM

Put power tune on +20% and maybe overclock a little. You should be able to hit 1100/1500 on stock voltage. The stock clocks are very low for the 7970, but I can't see that causing 25 fps. 40-50fps unoverclocked sounds right though.
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:51:23 PM

I just checked my AMD over drive and It say's my power control settings is at 0% Ill perhaps try turning it up a bit.

I should also note that when the gpu usage goes up the fans get very very noisey and also the gpu goes to around 78Celsius
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:03:38 PM

So I bumped up the power control to 20% but i still only get around 35fps with my gpu running at around 50-60% . Ive been looking at bench marks and I should be geting an average on around 70 fps. Any more suggestions? I really appreciate your help so far.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:07:18 PM

The low gpu usage could also suggest a cpu bottleneck, but an i5-2500 would have to be faulty to perform that badly because my friends i3-2120/HD 6870 system can get 40 fps on ultra bf3.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:29:08 PM

i've had the cpu for around 7 months now and its been fine but I know what you mean and im keeping an eye on that. If it is that any suggestions on how to fix it?
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:52:25 PM

indydog4 said:
Thanks for your quick reply :) 

Well I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers before installing my ATI, but I didn't use driver sweeper until I ran into this issue.

Yeah I closed all my background programs as well as I had heard that that can be an issue with Ati cards but nothing changed. I think I might just reinstall the drivers quickly and see if that helps.

Appreciate the help, thanks :) 

Driver sweeper only deletes stuff. It will not fix other problems. Don't waste your time trying to analyse GPU usage and power consumption, the problem is that you switched manufacturers.

Whenever you switch from AMD to NVidia or vice versa it is always recommended that you do a full reinstall of the operating system
m
l
August 24, 2012 6:21:15 PM

1) Download Driver Fusion HERE.
2) Download Catalyst 12.8 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download 12.7 CAP3 HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Fusion and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.

**Make sure to disable After Burner from startup while uninstalling/reinstalling drivers. Once done then re-enable**
m
l
August 25, 2012 2:54:07 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all your help, sorry for the long reply time, i had to go to sleep. I'm going to do the reformat right now actually, as i feel that will give me the highest chance of fixing the issue. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm done. Once again thank you :) 
m
l
August 25, 2012 6:01:46 AM

I wasn't able to do a strict reformat but rather only create a new version of windows because i left my disc at my friends house, but he is coming along in around two hours and ill try to fix it then.
m
l
August 25, 2012 6:04:12 AM

Thanks RussK1 ill try that out before my friend gets here, lets hope it works.
m
l
August 25, 2012 6:05:23 AM

i dont really think a full reinstall of the OS must be required when switching from amd to nvdia or vice versa.. there has to be some easier solution for the end user..
m
l
August 25, 2012 2:57:58 PM

Hey guys just did a fresh reformat and it did jack ***. I also tried arma 2 and i only got 20 fpsish in game play. I also checked my cpu usage and it was only using around 50%, whilst my gpu was sitting around 25%. I've tried all your suggestions so far and none of them have worked. :(  thanks for your help so far though, further would be greatly appreciated also, you guys have been great.
m
l
August 26, 2012 11:54:45 AM

I'm about to change my cpu and motherboard around quickly ill get back to you guys with the results
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:27:43 AM

Hello folks, I havent posted back in a while, sorry about that ive been out fixing the computer and stuff and working but I have had some luck with my issue.

I've been to the shop and the let me try out another card and I got the same results, but when i got home i decided to over clock my gpu to 1010mhz and then all of a sudden my problem was fixed, my gpu was running at around 75%- 99% constantly. All was good until all of a sudden, my game crashed. I boot it up again and my game crashes after around 2 mins.

It may be the drivers but im not sure, they are up to date so if anyone could give a suggestion i would be very very greatful.

Cheers
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:45:32 AM

indydog4 said:
Hello folks, I havent posted back in a while, sorry about that ive been out fixing the computer and stuff and working but I have had some luck with my issue.

I've been to the shop and the let me try out another card and I got the same results, but when i got home i decided to over clock my gpu to 1010mhz and then all of a sudden my problem was fixed, my gpu was running at around 75%- 99% constantly. All was good until all of a sudden, my game crashed. I boot it up again and my game crashes after around 2 mins.

It may be the drivers but im not sure, they are up to date so if anyone could give a suggestion i would be very very greatful.

Cheers

Hmm... that's strange. Have you updated your motherboard firmware to the latest revision?
m
l
September 1, 2012 3:44:12 AM

There is no reason to reformat with Win 7. It is designed to allow you to have multiple graphics drivers without conflict. This was really only an issue with Vista.

Could you download Gpu-Z and show us what is says?
m
l
September 1, 2012 3:45:04 AM

bystander said:
There is no reason to reformat with Win 7. It is designed to allow you to have multiple graphics drivers without conflict. This was really only an issue with Vista.

Could you download Gpu-Z and show us what is says?

WDDM was designed to allow a system to have multiple adapters with different driver sets but this doesn't prevent driver manufacturers from overriding the default behaviour and farking with eachother. NVidia's drivers are known to cripple certain features if they detect an AMD card. There's really no telling what will happen if a driver doesn't detect its own card or what will happen to user-space control panels. Catalyst Control Center only recently gained the ability to startup without locking up the system for 30 seconds.
m
l
September 1, 2012 3:52:14 AM

Pinhedd said:
WDDM was designed to allow a system to have multiple adapters with different driver sets but this doesn't prevent driver manufacturers from overriding the default behaviour and farking with eachother. NVidia's drivers are known to cripple certain features if they detect an AMD card. There's really no telling what will happen if a driver doesn't detect its own card or what will happen to user-space control panels. Catalyst Control Center only recently gained the ability to startup without locking up the system for 30 seconds.

I've run several setups and swapped brands, and even ran both brands together. Never has there been an issue with Win 7. Heck, right now, I can take out my 680's and pop in my AMD 6950's and they'll operate, as the AMD drivers are still there, and things have always ran quite smooth.

The whole idea of having to sweep your drivers clean is a relic of older times, as it used to matter. It doesn't really matter anymore, and it hasn't since Win 7. Even Vista didn't require sweeps, but it would require uninstalling the drivers, it wasn't as friendly as Win 7 is.

Edit: It won't hurt to do a drive sweep, but I'd never recommend a fresh install of windows, that takes days if not weeks to recover from and is almost always unnecessary. I've never actually seen anyone fix issues from a driver sweep in the last few years either. It's definitely a long shot, but it doesn't hurt at least.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:00:12 AM

bystander said:
I've run several setups and swapped brands, and even ran both brands together. Never has there been an issue with Win 7. Heck, right now, I can take out my 680's and pop in my AMD 6950's and they'll operate, as the AMD drivers are still there, and things have always ran quite smooth.

The whole idea of having to sweep your drivers clean is a relic of older times, as it used to matter. It doesn't really matter anymore, and it hasn't since Win 7. Even Vista didn't require sweeps, but it would require uninstalling the drivers, it wasn't as friendly as Win 7 is.

Yeah WDDM 1.0 didn't support multiple display drivers, that was added in 1.1. There were some lingering upgrade coherency issues from older versions of Catalyst (prior to 11.6 I believe) which will royally fark up a newer 12.x version if it is overwritten via a standard upgrade. Running driver sweeper is completely unnecessary because all it does is delete stuff (it doesn't solve actual problems, it's a placebo).

I still see about one case a week where someone has switched vendors and suffered abysmal performance until they switch it over properly. There may not be low level hardware interface issues with running multiple graphics adapters in Windows 7 but there are definitely a few lingering configuration and high level control issues which inadvertently (or in some cases, deliberately) affect the application layer. I just recently solved a bogus issue with a second display that was crippling single display performance on my PC and I've been using the same cards for a while now.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:07:44 AM

What I prefer, if you do run into an issue that just won't resolve itself, and you question your Windows install, is to grab an old HDD, or 2nd HDD in your system, and make that your primary drive, then install Windows on that. If the problem persists, you can always go back to your primary drive and nothing was lost. If it is fixed, then you know it's something with the software on your system, and you know you can fix it with a fresh install of Windows.
m
l
!