Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU Selection

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 2:30:35 PM

I've checked some of the benchmarks on the nVidia website, but I have difficult time understanding how SLI configuration affects things.

My budget for a new gaming PC gives me the following top two choices:

A) A single EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

B) Twin EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards in SLI configuration

Assuming I like games like Skyrim, BF3, Borderlands 2, etc... thoughts? Does SLI make up for the generation gap, or should I go with the 680 for more of a longevity plan?

I appreciate the input. Thanks

EDIT: The rest of the system will be new and decent enough. My impression is that the GPU will likely be the bottleneck in this system: Core i5-3570K, 850W Silverstone PSU (I know it might be a little big, but I've always had great experience with Silverstone so I'll spend the $), Gigabyte UD5H mobo, 16gb DDR3 1600 RAM.

More about : gpu selection

a c 164 U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 2:43:36 PM

Generation gap? They are from the same gen.

I know skyrim had issues when it first came out with SLI/CF. Mostly CF. I believe its been fixed. But I'd bet two GTX660TIs won't be that much faster then a GTX680 so I'd get that. Should be more then enough for 1080 gaming.
August 24, 2012 2:50:46 PM

4745454b said:
Generation gap? They are from the same gen.

I know skyrim had issues when it first came out with SLI/CF. Mostly CF. I believe its been fixed. But I'd bet two GTX660TIs won't be that much faster then a GTX680 so I'd get that. Should be more then enough for 1080 gaming.

Fair enough, I guess I meant "version gap," or whatever term references the difference between the 660 and the 680.

Interesting, didn't realize newer games were still having issues with SLI... thanks for the input.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

August 24, 2012 2:57:05 PM

It's hard to make this decision.

Option A is good because that GTX 680 is one of the most powerful single card options available, and it will leave the option open to buy a second 680 down the road. I am not sure how that 850w PSU will handle SLI'd 680's though.

Option B is good because it outperforms option A(albiet at a slightly higher cost) However going to tri-sli isn't recommended so you would have.

Personally I would go with a single 660 Ti, it is an absolute beast and it actually outperforms the previous single gpu king(GTX 580) and isn't much behind the current king(GTX 680).

Test out the single card out and make the decision from there. If you would prefer to go with a single 680 then just send it back and get the 680. If you are content with it then you can just use it until a game comes out that it can't handle, which is when you can order a second 660ti to get extreme performance.

Good luck with your decision.
August 24, 2012 3:02:13 PM

amk09 said:
It's hard to make this decision.

Option A is good because that GTX 680 is one of the most powerful single card options available, and it will leave the option open to buy a second 680 down the road. I am not sure how that 850w PSU will handle SLI'd 680's though.

Option B is good because it outperforms option A(albiet at a slightly higher cost) However going to tri-sli isn't recommended so you would have.

Personally I would go with a single 660 Ti, it is an absolute beast and it actually outperforms the previous single gpu king(GTX 580) and isn't much behind the current king(GTX 680).

Test out the single card out and make the decision from there. If you would prefer to go with a single 680 then just send it back and get the 680. If you are content with it then you can just use it until a game comes out that it can't handle, which is when you can order a second 660ti to get extreme performance.

Good luck with your decision.

I appreciate the honest answer, and that is actually not a bad idea... I sometimes find myself sinking into the "I can't ever upgrade it" mentality, so perhaps for now a single GPU is the best idea. From what I've seen on the nVidia website, the 660 ti is pretty damn good still, and it's just so much cheaper.

Your comment about the PSU concerns me, however. Here is the PSU I've selected:
SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 100% Modular, Active PFC Power Supply

I've always had good luck with Silverstone, but I'd definitely like to make sure that whatever PSU I get will be capable of handling a future SLI setup when and if I decide to go to one. Do you see this PSU as being an issue?
a c 164 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 6:47:48 AM

That's a fine PSU and will handle GTX680s in SLI just fine.

Some games have issues with SLI. The last that didn't work with SLI that I know of is GTA4. Most just need a driver update and they are fine.
August 27, 2012 1:52:26 AM

Frazeebd said:
I've checked some of the benchmarks on the nVidia website, but I have difficult time understanding how SLI configuration affects things.
I have 1 660ti 2Gb and it plays BF3,COD3MW crysis3 andMass Effec3 without a hitch great card
My budget for a new gaming PC gives me the following top two choices:

A) A single EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OR

B) Twin EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards in SLI configuration

Assuming I like games like Skyrim, BF3, Borderlands 2, etc... thoughts? Does SLI make up for the generation gap, or should I go with the 680 for more of a longevity plan?

I appreciate the input. Thanks

EDIT: The rest of the system will be new and decent enough. My impression is that the GPU will likely be the bottleneck in this system: Core i5-3570K, 850W Silverstone PSU (I know it might be a little big, but I've always had great experience with Silverstone so I'll spend the $), Gigabyte UD5H mobo, 16gb DDR3 1600 RAM.

August 27, 2012 1:56:02 AM

I have 1 660ti 2Gb and it plays BF3,COD3MW crysis3 andMass Effec3 without a hitch great card
September 6, 2012 3:36:43 AM

Best answer selected by frazeebd.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:52:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!