Best Graphics Card for the Configuration

Manoranjan2012

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,
Want to check for the best graphics card for my system without bottlenecking.
Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86Ghz)
Corsair VX 550 watt power supply
4Gb DDR2 RAM
Windows XP 32 bit
Max resolution 1366*768
Please suggest both the cheapest and the most expensive option so that i can decide my budget.
Thanks a lot!

Solution
hd5670 as the cheapest option and hd5770 as most expensive one..take your pick.. both are under $100.. getting anything more powerful wont make sense until you upgrade your cpu and monitor.. both are great cards for your resolution.. hd5770 requires a single 6 pin pcie connector while hd5670 doesnt.. good luck

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
A GTX550ti doesn't bottleneck MUCH on a C2D. It does, but not much and runs everything smoothly. I have one running on a C2D E6550 2.33ghz @ 1680x1050 resolution. Games like Max Payne and all work pretty good. So spending much is a total waste until unless you're planning to buy a new rig in the near future.

Your probable choices are -

GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5
Radeon HD 7770

:)

The better the graphics card, the better you will do.
You get higher FPS, more eye candy, and better minimum frame rates.
But the stronger you go, you get smaller improvements for your dollar.
Buy the best card you feel comfortable paying for.
Make certain that it is much stronger than what you now have, or you may be disappointed.
Use this tom's article on best gaming graphics cards for the money(august 2012) as a guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
Prices will have changed, and the newly launched GTX660ti @$300 is a blockbuster.
With your 550w psu, you can run almost any 28nm based card up to a GTX680($500).
28nm is used in the GTX6... and amd7... series. I would stick with those.

To get an idea of how well you might do, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Manoranjan2012

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
There is a one small information i missed giving out, which might change a lot of things.
My motherboard is an old Intel 946GZ express chipset - stock one. I now it will limit some options i guess!

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

As per that, I strongly recommend you don't waste money on cards like the 660 ti. Get the 550 Ti. You won't need anything else!

mohit9206

Distinguished
hd5670 as the cheapest option and hd5770 as most expensive one..take your pick.. both are under $100.. getting anything more powerful wont make sense until you upgrade your cpu and monitor.. both are great cards for your resolution.. hd5770 requires a single 6 pin pcie connector while hd5670 doesnt.. good luck

Solution