ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi everyone, I am about to get this build and wonder if there will be better options or component etc that I have missed out.

Shout out your thoughts or comment, I will be glad to have some advice from the others.

Case: Bitfenix Colossus

(There are better case out there, but I really love how this case looks-need it to match the Deadspace series :p )

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.6ghz (hopefully get it OC to 4.6ghz)

CPU thermal paste: Arctic Mx-4

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

PSU: XFX 1050W

(Just love the Xfx design over seasonic or Corsair ones)

SSD: Samsung 830 256gb

HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

RAM: 4x8gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

GPU: Asus DirectCU II V2 7950 x2 Crossfire

DVD drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x DVD

This build is planning to run 3 1080p monitor in eyefinity

Purpose is to play games, video editing, 3D modelling and rendering. pretty much everything.

For the most part it looks good. I usually don't recommend Crossfire or SLI, but for three monitors you will probably need it. I also don't know how rendering will go on crossfire. Nvidia cards seem to be more compatible with rendering apps. I would go with an Nvidia 5 series gpu myself, although right now I use a Firepro in my workstation and love it, but some apps it just won't render at all. I do recommend Seasonic psus though as they one of the best on the market. I wouldn't base my psu choice on looks.

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Looks good, although overkill for anything. HD7950's in CF might limit your upgrade options though.

As for rendering, AMD cards do the trick and you will be happy with HD7950s.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
thanks for both of your comment, I have heard the xfx is made by seasonic, at least 95% or above is actually the same seasonic psu. However, the other main reason i choose the xfx is the price is about $20 cheaper. Well I still have a week or so before I make the order on the psu, so I'm still looking around, if I find a seasonic one on offer, i will give it a go.

Originally I was having a pair of Sapphire 7970 ghz in my plan, but I worried about the noise level, also the 7950 seems to be $100 cheaper per card, so i could save 200 by two cards.

Anyway this is also one of component that I am 50/50 between 7950 and 7970.

I am not too sure about what you mean by upgrade option, would you like to give a little more details?

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Dual 7970's are OK, as long as you don't get the stock cooler. ASUS's card cool very well and are also quiet.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Do you reckon I should get the 7970 instead ? which is about $80 more per card for the Asus DirectCU II non top version with voltage locked. and $160 more per card for Top version without voltage locked

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Actually I just done some research which seems the windforce isn't as quiet as the directcu 2

However the sapphire 7970 oc seems pretty quiet.

Anyone knows if the directcu 2 can be trifire on a rampage 4 extreme?

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Yes, it can be triple-CFed on a Rampage 4 Extreme.

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
XFX power supplies are made by Seasonic, no worries there. The wattage is excessive though, 850W is more than enough even to run a pair of 7970s in SLI.

I would also say that unless you are into some REALLY intensive video rendering / CAD, the Sandy Bridge E is probably a huge waste of money and you would probably be very happy with an i7 3770k instead. I would personally take the cash saved on that and drop it into upgrading the GPUs to 7970s instead of 7950s and maybe an even bigger SSD for storing all your video data. I think that would probably improve your experience more noticeably.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012

Wait, I have just got an answer from someone else telling me I can't trifire them because of those card being 3 slots each

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012

Should I go for the xfx xxx edition 850w then? however it is only a 80+ Silver, even though silver and gold doesn't really make much different, but it always feel better with gold/platinum, as other parts in the build is pretty much the top end as well. Also if I am not mistaken under 20% load, the psu will be using passive cooling with the fan off, which I presume would be much more quiet, and under 20% load would be easier with a 1050W than 850W, also 1050W seems more future proof. That's what I think anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the z77 platform, one of the reason I chose x79 is really because of the Rampage Iv extreme being very..perfect to me. I love the rampage Iv extreme, the color, name, 8 ram slots, 4 pci slots, OC keys, all the features and everything of this board. Which also seems slightly more future proof than the others. Originally I wasn't planing to get the asus directcu ii, but other 2 slots card which I could possibly trifire/quadfire if it brings good performance by the time I need. ( Of course they are not atm, but by the time I need more performance there is always one more option between replacing by new series cards or trifire) Although now that I have decided on the "fat" 3 slots Asus cards, which can only be 2 way crossfire max (if I am not mistaken).

Anyway the point is, if I am going for the z77 board, I would probably go for the maximus V extreme. Which I know doesn't seems necessary, but that is the one that I would like to have ( 4 pci slots, OC key etc ). And the maximus is basically the same price as the rampage. So it seems to be better getting the x79 for its performance and future upgrade option.

I am sure I will be happy with z77 too, but I have worked out that x79 with 3930k +Rampage IV extreme is about 300 more compare to Z77 with 3770k+Maximus V extreme, of course I could go for the 3820 too for the exact same price as the z77, but 3930k just seems a better option for x79, easier to be sold when Ivybridge-E comes out too. Even if I am not upgrading to Ivybridge-E, 3930k still seems to be a good cpu to hold on to.

Thanks a lot for your reply too, to be very honest with you, I did have a really tough time choosing between x79 and z77. And now it kind of come back again even after I have decided to have x79 lol

As for the graphic card, 7970 just doesn't seem to be worth the extra money to me (over a 7950), also I am kind of having the plan of getting the 8000 or 9000 series already, run the 7950 til I think they should be replaced.

What I am trying to say is, the 7970 of course is the best and the top of the world now, and that would bring me slightly more significant improvement over a 7950 compare to the improvement between 3770k and 3930k.

However I can sort of feel that by the time my 7950 should be replaced, 7970 wouldn't be far from it, perhaps the same time.

Also when I looked back to the 6970, the 7950 is easily faster than it. Therefore I presume if I get a pair of 7970 now, a much cheaper pair of 8950 in few months time would easily beat my 7970s. Of course next gen cards would always be faster, but 7970 is about 160 more than 7950 now per card, and let's say if I am planning to get the 8950 or 9950 by the time, I have really wasted the 160 per card.

You could say that would apply to the cpu too, but IMO cpu improvement between generations is much more slower and unnecessary, which is why x58 still a pretty good and fast platform with good CPUs.

I hope you all can understand what I think of the platform.

I will consider your opinions too. Thanks for replying.

got a link?

TRENDING THREADS