Problem with homebuild!

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2012 11:35:07 PM

I wasn't sure where to post this..

My specs are:
CPU : 3930k
fan:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB
Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Series Trooper
PSU: RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W ATX12V v2.3
Monitors: LG IPS235 and HPvs17e
only programs installed are Malwarebytes, AVG, CCleaner, Premiere Pro CS6, and After Effects CS6.

A few weeks ago a few cables were unplugged as it was moved and then the monitors wouldn't turn on. I hit "reset" on the motherboard and then it worked.

A couple of times it wouldn't turn on and I had to unplug the PSU then plug it back in for it to turn on.

Last night, I turned it on and it turned on for a few seconds and then shut down. I had to open it up again and pull out a power cable to the mobo and then plug it back in for it to work. I'm afraid to turn it off again. What's going on?

More about : problem homebuild

October 19, 2012 12:21:01 AM

bizzump
m
l
October 19, 2012 12:27:36 AM

Hmm. That's strange. What happens when you power it on? What happens when it power down? Blue screen, black screen, beeps, anything? Maybe the video card got loose in its slot. I would go back through all of the installation steps and reseat everything. Start with that.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 12:34:12 AM

Lately, nothing has been happening when I power it on. I had to go in and take out a cord powering the motherboard and plug it back in, then hit power on the mobo for it to work.
m
l
October 19, 2012 1:03:12 AM

kevin2 said:
Lately, nothing has been happening when I power it on. I had to go in and take out a cord powering the motherboard and plug it back in, then hit power on the mobo for it to work.

Power problems are not surprising from this unit, as it's reviews generally agree that the guts of the unit are passable at best, sloppy and downright crappy most of the time.

I it's probably time to think about getting a quality unit from a quality brand.

m
l
October 19, 2012 3:59:18 AM

as in...an inferior quality motherboard?ugh, i cut corners.
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:05:18 PM

maxalge what do you suggest? replacing the motherboard and PSU?
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:11:43 PM

i was a little hard on the CPU pins, but somebody told me it'd take a lot of pressure to do any damage to them, plus it all looked fine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2012 11:29:42 PM

I would replace the power supply first, instead of the motherboard and the psu. But lets Do things one step at a time. How about giving us the results of what maestro0428 suggested?

Mac
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:15:01 PM

kevin2 said:
maxalge what do you suggest? replacing the motherboard and PSU?

Sorry if I was a bit obtuse, I was talking about the PSU with my previous comment.

Asrock mobos are well priced and good quality.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2012 4:09:47 AM

test your psu with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

If not, it could be a cmos problem maybe your cmos battery is dead if thats dead then you wont be able to boot because there are no settings

make sure your compute is hooked up correctly
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Hope this helps! :D \

(sorry for not really going off the top of the thread just be sure to check everything and the psu before you get it replaced)
m
l
!