Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Reason for random system shutdown while gaming

Last response: in Components
March 2, 2013 3:49:51 PM

I have just bought a corsair cx430v2...
after 3-4 days of its operation.. my system shutsdown at random time while gaming...
my core temps are 48C at max...
and GPU is 62C max
but still it shuts down and wont start for some time...

1.What i noticed was if i turn on the psu after this ... my processor fan , PSU fan and GPU fan.. keep turning on and off multiple times even when i havent touched the system power button on.
and it wont respond when i try to turn the system on...

2.also many times the psu and gpu turns on.. but the processor fan doesnt power up.... but i dont get any message on the screen regarding processor fan failure...
also the screen would dislpay no signal.... but i case led would light up...

3.I have checked the ram slots by turning the mobo on without inserting ram.. it beeps which tells me the ram slots are ok..

4.Another thing to note is that the system works properly for as long as possible when i am not gaming...

can anyone tell me which of the component is most probably causing this and how to test it...

NOTE: I recently upgraded my old system by inserting a new GPU, a new PSU and a new Case.
but i am using the old motherboard and processor...

SYSTEM SPECS:
processor: intel dual core e2180 @2.0ghz
motherboard: foxconn irvine motherboard
ram: 2gb ddr2 ram
graphics card: zotac nvidia GT630 1gb ddr5
power supply: CX430V2

I am feeling horrible coz i am having my vaccations and i cant play any games. :cry: 
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED...
March 2, 2013 4:07:40 PM

It sounds to me like the PSU isn't able to supply enough power to the rest of the computer. When gaming, the computer requires more power, and then the PSU isn't able to supply it because it's over the amount power it's able to do. But when surfing, not as much power is supplied. Generally, for a gaming PC, I wouldn't suggest a PSU under 600W just for the headroom.
Score
March 2, 2013 5:07:49 PM

hmms... but 430 watts should be ok for that system... the cpu eats max 65w, the gpu should be rated around 70w (not sure and lazy to check). so it leaves you with around 300w and that should be more than enough for the rest of the system....

my guess would be it's from overheating the gpu, and the first thing I would check is the air flow in my case...
/also I'd check the mobo just to be sure it can handle that gpu.../
Score
Related resources
March 2, 2013 5:23:18 PM

ok so I decided to open the pc apart.. completely.

My old mobo has a mini 20 pin atx connector instead of the usual stuff...
so I bought this 20 pin atx to 24 pin hp mini atx adapter: http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=290702950...

When i took a look at it.. i was shocked to see that two of the 24pins pins of the adapter were melted...but there was no damage on the other end of the adapeter(towards the 20 pin of the psu atx connector)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also i would like to know the cause of this....
I dont think the gpu is taking that much power ... it has a tdp of 65w
:( 

another thing that bothered me was that when i touched the metal parts of my case... i could sometimes feel electricity(I dont mean static electricity... it was as if something was powering the case too..?)

could it be my case... a faulty psu... a crappy mobo.. or all of these together.. or something else..

please help...
now my main concern is not gaming but my systems health...

although it is working ok under normal conditions still.. and i dont have any intentions on pusing my luck now....I think i'll wait and buy a new mobo and processor and ram..
but it does have some residue on the connection slots...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

( A great way to celebrate holidays is to save money.. yay :cry:  )

but still could someone shed some light on this issue... please..!!!! (whom should i blame..or is it my mistake and what should i do now....)
---and thanks to everyone who tried to help----------
Score

Best solution

March 2, 2013 5:53:15 PM

It could be that the connector was not snuggly fit and caused an electrical arc to produce which in turn melted the plastic.

At least that's what happened to me with the CPU power connector. It melted so badly it fused onto the motherboard and I had to "transplant" new power connectors off a dead mobo and PSU.
March 2, 2013 6:00:57 PM

cLick1338 said:
It could be that the connector was not snuggly fit and caused an electrical arc to produce which in turn melted the plastic.

At least that's what happened to me with the CPU power connector. It melted so badly it fused onto the motherboard and I had to "transplant" new power connectors off a dead mobo and PSU.

ok so if thats the case... which i assume is so...coz of me being so sloppy and pathetic...would you recommend me getting it to fix nicely now and then probably checking it once more with games ... to see if it works nicely now...
the conectors arnt melted badly...
its just that they are deformed :p 
as you can see in the images below.....

also after searching the web(wikipedia :D  ) I came to know that the power_ok pin(melted) is what is causing the system to turn off ... i think
Score
March 5, 2013 2:31:20 PM

Best answer selected by freakout918.
Score
March 5, 2013 2:34:58 PM

so it as "cLick1338" mentioned.... and after i connected the atx connector properly... i am able to run games and everything on the computer for as long as i want( have been running for 8-10 hours continiously daily...).without any issues.

so i guess everything is ok now....
------------thanks for all the replies.--------------
Score
March 5, 2013 4:50:49 PM

Quote:
by seeing this diagram and my connector ...
I think the +5V sb and Power_ok pins have melted..?
how bad can it be...
could i still use it..?
possible causes of this ..?

sorry for being a noob... :sweat: 
but the pins that melted are the +12v pins..
Score
!