Looking to upgrade a few things

kylendm

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade a few things in my computer. Right now I'm using this computer for mainly audio engineering/mixing and all the sorts of that. I also do play games but that's not too important right now.

Here's my current specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N75TD
GeForce GTX 460
2TB harddrive

The main thing I'm looking at is to upgrade my RAM since the applications I use are very memory heavy and since I use 64bit anyway I mind as well get 12gb.

I'll probably upgrade my graphics card to a 7970 down the line but right now I'm not too worried about it.

The next thing I want to upgrade is my motherboard being that the M4N75TD bios isn't very friendly, it's getting a little old and there are some conflicting problems with some of the pci cards I'm using with my graphics card.

The last thing is, if I get a new motherboard and ram should I get the AM3+ boards? I see that the FX AMD processors are out but they have terrible reviews. I like my 1050tt and I never have problems with it but should I make the switch to Intel? I have only ever used AMD processors and I don't really know too much about Intel ones so if there is something better than what I have out there please recommend it!

I have about $400-500 on budget for these upgrades and any help would be appreciated!

Get another 8GB of memory, but make sure the specs are exactly the same. Otherwise, ditch what you have and get 2*8 sticks. An SSD would be a great upgrade too. I would go with a 256GB model from Samsung. If you have money left over, then make the switch to intel. I would start with those two things first.

kylendm

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I might hold out on the SSD for a bit but I will be ditching my RAM for either 3*4 sticks or 2*8 sticks. Something like that. Also, I don't see any 3770k + mobo for under $500. I might go with the i5 3570k though, it seems pretty decent but people are saying the hyper-threading from the 3770k help with audio applications.