Recommended CPU Fan/Heatsink Replacement

tazod

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Please advise.

I am currently running an i7 LGA2011 processor with a Noctura NH-D14 140mm x 120mm fan on a Rampage IV Extreme board. Although the Noctura does a great job cooling my CPU, I cannot utilize all of my RAM slots, and it interferes with me installing my current video card in the PCI-E slot closest to the CPU, which will be an issue when I upgrade to an additional 7970. Current video card is a XFX 7970 BE DD.

Any suggestions on another CPU Fan/Heatsink would be great. And I do not want to go with anything water cooled. Thank you.

Solution
I know you don't want water cooler, But how about the Corsair H100i? Gives you room to OC, the H80i isn't as good as the H100, but works in 90% of the cases where the H100 might be issue. Its a closed loop and should not ever leak. I had my Orignal H100 for 2 years so far, still keeps my x6 1100T at 4.1ghz under 60C. I also run the H50 in another AMD system and had that the day it came out, works like a champ.

Air cooling, I don't think your going to get any better then what you have, or well you can, but you'll still have clearance issues.

Good Luck!
I know you don't want water cooler, But how about the Corsair H100i? Gives you room to OC, the H80i isn't as good as the H100, but works in 90% of the cases where the H100 might be issue. Its a closed loop and should not ever leak. I had my Orignal H100 for 2 years so far, still keeps my x6 1100T at 4.1ghz under 60C. I also run the H50 in another AMD system and had that the day it came out, works like a champ.

Air cooling, I don't think your going to get any better then what you have, or well you can, but you'll still have clearance issues.

Good Luck!

Solution

Hugeh

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
What Viking said. I can't think of an air cooling solution that'll be small enough to not block any DIMM or PCI-E slots. If you're fine with blocking DIMM slots, the Hyper 212 is pretty rectangular in shape.

tazod

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm stuck till I make the change. But from what I've reveiwed, I would agree with you and go with the H100. I guess I'll have to just be prepared to make the change when I upgrade again. I'm assuming I shouldn't have any issues with my inverted mobo and the tubing since I'm using an Silverstone case?