Solved

Need help, please, not sure what the issue is...

Excuse me as I am fairly new to computer building and such...

my motherboard is an Asus M4A78T-E
Graphics: Asus Radeon HD4870
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 12GB
Power: OCZ 700w
HDD: Samsung HD103UJ

So I received this computer as a gift few months ago, it had been used for about a year. About a month ago, it just died. It would power on, but no display, no beeps (no sounds what so ever), none of the usb ports worked, fans came on, and I couldnt shut off the computer unless I shut off the PSU though the back switch. Prior to this happening I did switch ram, from 4gb Corsair DDR3 to the G.skill, but it had worked fine for 2 weeks.

I tried to do my own research, then i just gave up and took it into a shop (free diagnostic, why not, I guess) and they told me it's most likely the motherboard. Today I got a hold of another M4A78T-E (bought it cheap from a friend, worked) and I hooked it up, this one beeps and such but still no display and all the same symptoms. I tried booting it up without ram, with a stick of ram, tried the corsair and g.skill, without a gpu, and i get nothing. I put my finger near the heatsink and it was warm, so I assume that's a good indicator that it's not the CPU? I don't know what else to do, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need help please issue
  1. Well from what you say you have tried, it looks like one thing you didn't try yet is the power supply. I'd start there.
  2. When you booted with no GPU was a monitor hooked up to the onboard video?
  3. Ah ok, how do i go about testing the power supply?
    Yes, when I booted with no GPU I used the onboard output.
  4. search paperclip test, but you should try to test with another power supply if possible
  5. So I got around to doing the paper clip test, the fan turns on. I'm not too sure what that tells me though, any insight? All I've read is, although the fan comes on it could still be bad.

I will try to get a hold of a different power supply, as long as its 700w it should be fine to test?
  6. Best answer
    yeah, the power supply test doesn't give you everything you need. it's a pretty basic test.

you don't even need 700 watts, anything over 400 watts should be adequate for a basic test, especially without the graphics card
  7. Best answer selected by duc561.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems