Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Display Port????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 24, 2012 3:40:09 PM

OK, so I guess I missed the memo. What exactly is a display port and why do I wany/need one? Why is it different than an HDMI port?

More about : display port

a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 4:04:55 PM

u mean dvi vs hdmi port
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 4:06:19 PM

ram1009 said:
OK, so I guess I missed the memo. What exactly is a display port and why do I wany/need one? Why is it different than an HDMI port?

HDMI is an older technology. The main con of HDMI is in that, the longer the cable is, the slower the signal's transfer would be (which is absolute no-no for gaming/live translations).
The second biggest con of HDMI is in that it transfers a signal that is very heavily encrypted (security encryption), thus it's harder to convert it into something else.
"DisplayPort" (That's how you write it, actually) is a new signal transfer technology that is much MUCH more powerful than even the best of HDMI transfers.
DP doesn't have the cons of HDMI, it supports MUCH larger resolutions than the HDMI (HDMI can only do up to 1920x1080, which is 1080p, the "True HD"), it's encryption is a lot easier, it's less power-consuming than the HDMI, and it's production costs less than that of HDMI.
DP pretty much killed the HDMI.
Soon DP would be everywhere, while HDMI would die out little by little...and then Thunderbolt would come...(or a newer version of DP, current being the "1.2").



LOL, Linus...love this guy. He's absolutely crazy.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:50:55 PM

master_chen said:
HDMI is an older technology. The main con of HDMI is in that, the longer the cable is, the slower the signal's transfer would be (which is absolute no-no for gaming/live translations).
The second biggest con of HDMI is in that it transfers a signal that is very heavily encrypted (security encryption), thus it's harder to convert it into something else.
"DisplayPort" (That's how you write it, actually) is a new signal transfer technology that is much MUCH more powerful than even the best of HDMI transfers.
DP doesn't have the cons of HDMI, it supports MUCH larger resolutions than the HDMI (HDMI can only do up to 1920x1080, which is True 1080p), it's encryption is a lot easier, it's less power-consuming than the HDMI, and it's production costs less than that of HDMI.
DP pretty much killed the HDMI.
Soon DP would be everywhere, while HDMI would die out little by little...and then Thunderbolt would come...(or a newer version of DP, current being the "1.2").



LOL, Linus...love this guy. He's absolutely crazy.



Whoever he is he reminds me of the baby in the tech commercials. It's just hard to have any credibility before your voice even changes.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 4:57:42 PM

ram1009 said:
Whoever he is he reminds me of the baby in the tech commercials. It's just hard to have any credibility before your voice even changes.


I really do hope that you're talking about Linus and not me, lol. %))
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:33:04 PM

Quote:
The main con of HDMI is in that, the longer the cable is, the slower the signal's transfer would be (which is absolute no-no for gaming/live translations).

@master_chen,

That cable should be couple of thousands miles long in order for electrical signal to reach the other end with human-noticable delay...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:39:21 PM

Alabalcho said:
Quote:
The main con of HDMI is in that, the longer the cable is, the slower the signal's transfer would be (which is absolute no-no for gaming/live translations).

@master_chen,

That cable should be couple of thousands miles long in order for electrical signal to reach the other end with human-noticable delay...

Well, maybe later versions got better, but the one I was talking about is, basically, the HDMI "1.0"/"1.1". Even 5 meter length would be already a problem for it.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 6:07:30 PM

Cable length is indeed a factor but not because of the speed of signal propagation. All signals propagate at near the speed of light and such delays are undetectable to humans under most circumstances. I believe the max unamplified cable length is specified at 3 meters. Beyond that the strength of the signal is attenuated by the volume of copper in the cable. See OHM's LAW.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 6:08:37 PM

master_chen said:
I really do hope that you're talking about Linus and not me, lol. %))



I don't know what you look like.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 7:23:29 PM

his psycho cats vids not to bad either :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:58:08 PM

ram1009 said:
I don't know what you look like.


Believe me, you wouldn't like my current looks (haven't shaved in, like...3+ years?...lol). :sol: 
m
0
l
!