Computer BSOD's and fails to boot after hardware upgrade

Hello,
I upgraded my friends HP p6604y with a Asus 7770 8 gigs of ram and a new 400 watt power supply. Initially, the computer loaded fine but after 10 or so minutes there is a BSOD and the computer fails to do anything but light up and spin the fans up and down. After doing some research I suspected a bad PSU and replaced it. After installing the new PSU the same thing happened. What should I try?

edit: Just tried to run the computer without the graphics card and it booted fine this time but after only a couple minutes the screen filled with random lines and forced a reboot so I don't think it is the power supply...
7 answers Last reply
More about computer bsod fails boot hardware upgrade
  1. What are the temps during the time it will run?
    mac
  2. Can I check this in the bios?
  3. Download CPUID Hardware Monitor from the internet. Its free, but watch I think you need to pick the appropriate version depending on your operating system(32 or 64 bit). I don't know if you will be able to get it loaded and installed with the computer only running a few min.
    My second guess is that we may have a problem with the memory. Is this 8g of memory all new? Did you set the memory specs in the BIOS?
    How about dirt/dust in the computer, you did not indicate how old it is?
    Mac
  4. macusn said:
    Download CPUID Hardware Monitor from the internet. Its free, but watch I think you need to pick the appropriate version depending on your operating system(32 or 64 bit). I don't know if you will be able to get it loaded and installed with the computer only running a few min.
    My second guess is that we may have a problem with the memory. Is this 8g of memory all new? Did you set the memory specs in the BIOS?
    How about dirt/dust in the computer, you did not indicate how old it is?
    Mac

I cant install anything without the computer shutting itself down but if nothing else the computer doesn't even feel warm.

The memory is all new as memtest+ popped up millions of errors when I tested it, how would I set the specs?

The computer has been freshly cleaned out so no problems there.
  5. You said that memtest showed millions of errors?

Mac
  6. do you still have the old memory? Stick that back in and see what happens.
    mac
  7. macusn said:
    You said that memtest showed millions of errors?

Mac

Yeah memtest+ definitely did not like those ram sticks. I put the old memory back in and that didn't change anything.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Computer Blue Screen Systems