Closed

Can't reduce Nvidia GPU fan speed below 55%?

Hello, I recently bought a Galaxy 640 GT for a mini-itx build. After installing the driver from the manufacturer (301.42), the fan spins up and is fairly loud. I tried installing Galaxy's Extreme Tuner and MSI AfterBurner to adjust the fan control; I tried setting it so under 50C it would only run at 20% fan speed. With the GPU at 40C, it still reads 55% fan speed. I also tried setting the manual fan speed but the slider won't go below 55%. Any suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about reduce nvidia speed
  1. The fan is probably mechanically made to have minimum spinning speed at 55%. I doubt you can do much except if you are really bothered, you could remove it and since GT 640 is a very low power card, passive cooling might be enough.
  2. Try updating its BIOS, usually the BIOS controls things like that.

For instance, my GTX 560 448 Core wouldn't go over 60% fan speed even hitting 95 C temperatures. When I updated the BIOS that fixed it, though to be honest I just ended up using a custom fan profile.
  3. ^

I doubt it will help, because MSI afterburner manual fan speed should overwrite the BIOS setting. The only reason I think it cannot is because the fan cannot spin slower physically.
  4. Sunius said:
    The fan is probably mechanically made to have minimum spinning speed at 55%. I doubt you can do much except if you are really bothered, you could remove it and since GT 640 is a very low power card, passive cooling might be enough.

I believe it's a software problem not a hardware problem; before I installed the Nvidia drivers the fan was running almost silently but you could still hear it. If there's not a way to change it in the software, what would be some other suggestions?

I know for my CPU cooler (Noctua nh-l12) you can add an adapter wire to the fan that will slow down the fan speed. Is there an adapter I can get for my GPU fan to fix this?

Or could anyone recommend an aftermarket GPU cooler that is less than 7" and is single slot?

EDIT: thanks for the suggestilon, I'll try updating the BIOS and see if that heps. Would you mind giving me a link? I can't find anything official from Galaxy or Nvidia, just some 3rd party links.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPU Fan Fan Speed Graphics