Sign in with
Your question

My GTX 580 has been replaced with a RV870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 4:50:12 PM

Hello! So for month ago my PSU broke. I called up the company that made my computer as I bought it preset. They sent me RMA number and I sent it away. After a full month of wait I finally got back, as I was very curious to see what they've replaced. I noticed a shiny red new GPU.

With a huge question mark over my head I couldn't really identify this new GPU. Well it said ATI Radeon on the side but I didn't know what model. As fast as I can I quickly plug in everything and start it up. I quickly run dxdiag, I click on display and it only says ATI RADEON HD 5800 model. This is where I became very worried, there's noway a 5800 series can beat a GTX 580?
I download Evga Precision X and I see it's a RV870 model.

Now this is where you guys come in place. Is the RV870 worse than the GTX 580? I'm really pissed off right now, especially after waiting a full month for just a PSU replacement. I am going to call them on monday and ask them about this.

Thanks, Ryan.

More about : gtx 580 replaced rv870

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:08:37 PM

Sigh, just what I was fearing. Now I'm stuck with this GPU for god knows how long..
Related resources
August 24, 2012 5:12:34 PM

I would be pissed...and be on the phone to them a second after i discovered it with steam coming out of my ears,I own a 580 gtx superclocked and that cost me over 400.00 bucks....dont take my 580gtx and replace with a mom and pop gpu.......get in touch with them and demand satisfaction.....was there anything wrong with 580 or did they just steal it from you
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:13:28 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/295?vs=305

An AMD 5800 ~1/2 the speed of a GTX580, most likely an error of entering in one too many zeors on a form somewhere.
Ignore the RV870 as that is the name of the GPU chip, and the same chip is used over a wide range of cards with various parts of it turned on or off depending on the specific card that it is supposed to be (AMD stuff is always fun for tweakers as you can often unlock parts of the chip to make it something better than what was purchased).

When you call up, be sure to play nice, but request some sort of goodies for your trouble (angry goody asking never ends well). Maybe they could be convinced to throw in a higher end GTX670 or 680
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:14:43 PM

I would speak to them and find out why they replaced the graphics card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:20:16 PM

Yes, I will have a nice talk with them. But they're really pushing my buttons with this slow repair and then downgrading my computer. Hopefully I can convince them to replace it with a better card. To be honest I really just want something that is equally as good as the GTX 580 or better. But instead they they gave me this crap.. I'm downloading Battlefield 3 right now, lets see what lag party it will be..
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:30:01 PM

Yeah buddy you got ripped off.
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:07:01 PM

Kopi,
This is a case of theft and fraud and should be reported to the police.
-Pacioli
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 6:53:58 PM

Wow I would be furious. Can you tell us all the name of the company so we can be sure to never purchase anything from them?
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 3:07:14 AM

+1 benski
not that I would ever purchase a pre-built, but at least I would know who to NOT recommend to friends and family.
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:24:42 AM

Well this is really bad... Contact them and tell that you demand a good replacement.
!