Power supply fan has become really noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I fixed a gaming rig together not too long ago and my power supply has become more noisy within a month, we're talking a whole lot. Before I couldn't hear it and now it's just about the only thing I hear!

The power supply is a FX ProSeries Core Edition 650W.

I don't believe dust is the issue.
It's in my Fractal R4, so I got dust filters at the intake of the PSU and I clean those once a week and last night I cleaned the whole pc with compressed air, so I was sure that dust wasn't the problem - There was no dust at all in it.

So I'm on thin ice here, I don't really know what the problem is and I haven't experienced any problems except of the increased noise, so doing a RMA would be kinda stupid I think, just because it's loud. IS there any way to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance! :bounce:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can hear your PSU fan over the other fan noises from the PC, I'd say it has an issue. My XFX 850W Black Edition is dead silent. There's no shame in RMAing it due to excessive noise. First I'd take it out and go outside and blast it with some air to be sure it really isn't some dirt or foreign object causing the noise. If you can test it outside the case, maybe you can tell better if it is a faulty fan/bearing making the noise.

It's is the only fan I can hear.

I did go outside in the garage and blew air from both the exhaust and at the intake, no dust was coming out at all.

I tried putting the desktop at its' side so I could hear the PSU all the time. It's just loud and there is nothing to see in it. It's like the fan has locked itself. Before the fan would ramp itself up during gaming or editing, when I used a lot of power.

I've tried to monitor the temperature inside my case during heavy load and the highest temperatures I've seen is about 40 C. It's a hard nut to crack this one. :(

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
is the PSUs fan running?if it is then you have a problem!the PSU fan mustnt run!it means the its temperature is high!so probably your system is just to hot!

A PSU fan isn't meant to run? I'm sorry but it is. The components would get hot if there was no air flow. Though there are some PSUs where the PSU fan only runs when it's under load.

The problem isn't heat, as I just said before the temperature inside of my case barely reaches 40 C and the PSU can maintain temperatures up to 105 C.

There is no dust in my system either. But anyway, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. :)

Reactions: david slayer

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think what Gennaios may be referring to, is that some PSUs have a temp controlled fan that stays off until needed. I don't believe your XFX is one of those type however. If the fan is as noisy as you describe, by all means RMA it while you still can. If you hate being without a PC during the duration of ship/inspection/re-ship time, you could always order a new one immediately and RMA the old one for refund instead of replacement.

collegeguy

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I am having the same issue using the same PSU (xfx core edition 650 watt), and its driving me crazy! its not a really LOUD noise,its just the fact that it was dead silent for the first 3 weeks, then suddenly everything went wrong :/ Most probably going to RMA.
I have one question though,does the orientation of the psu affect the fan?cause I have mine upside down in a CM HAF 912 ,but flipped it when it started becoming noisy.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The orientation should have no affect on a properly working fan/motor. If it does, that would be a sign of a problem; possibly bearing play. Or loss of magnetic center. Or rubbing. The fan should be so quiet that all you hear is the air movement noise... and then only with excellent hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.