GTX 580 TIM Replacement results

Azumi123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hi All,
Just thought I would post the results of a TIM replacement done on my GTX 580 today. TIM Used is Artic MX-4. The process involved a thorough clean of the heatsink contact area with ethanol and the chip it's self also with ethanol. Ensured that no finger prints were put on to the bottom of the HS after cleaning. Also blew out all visible areas with compressed air (no dust in the HS at all to start with). Used a pea sized amount of TIM in the centre of the chip and the spread is as close as possible to the manufacturer original. Very even and thin.

Non-Varibales
Case Type : mATX (3 spaces free below the card), case open.
Ambient Room Temp : 24c
Card : GTX 580, reference model, standard HS and Fan assembly

Before TIM Replacement:
Idle Temp on GTX 580 : 50-60c
Battlefield 3 , 30 minuets played, temp : 80 - 88c

After TIM replacement:
Idle Temp on GTX 580 : 35 - 39c
Battlefield 3 , 30 minuets played, temp : 70 - 79c

Very supprised at this result. I knew that an idle of 60c wasn't normal but I wasn't aware of how abnormal it must be. It really is worth investing in high quality thermal paste.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
the only reason that u got the better temp is this clean off all dust from gpu as u use air can dust is the main that overheat the gpu or cpu very gently + room enviornment and case air flow also depend for run cool tempall of it u finejust clean of the dust in month

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Seems like a decent drop! I used to do this on cards I found too hot to touch, and sometimes it helped. Perhaps the original TIM was of a low quality, and the heatsink alignment was bad or the screws were a bit loose. I know a lot of these factory TIMs harden (asus's pink goo, for example) when the temperatures are very low (winter outside temps), and if you transport the card in that temperature, then handle the heatsink, the original TIM would actually crack because it has hardened, and not yet at room temperatures, and the bond that was formed between the heatsink/TIM/die would be destroyed. Subsequently the temperatures may be sub-optimal if the TIM never properly bonds again. (TIMs that thicken over time do not like to be re-seated).

Neat.

TRENDING THREADS