Need GPU advice, Zotac 670 AMP! or Diamond Radeon 7970

MidgetD

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week tommorow if possible.
BUDGET RANGE: 400-450 USD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (BF3, GW2, DotA 2, LoL, Crysis 2). Home theater use.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None, I can't decide between the Diamond Radeon 7970 or the Zotac 670 AMP!. I'm also purchasing a 750W power supply but am willing to increase the wattage if need be.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: None, again just need help deciding between those two cards.

OVERCLOCKING: Willing to if needed.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is my first build and I'm currently typing this on an iPhone, I appologize if it's a mess, the response on this thing is atrocious and I deleted what I typed 3 times... I hate you iPhone... I'll post additional information if you need it.

Again this rig will be used for gaming but I do not know what card to choose.

MidgetD

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the information. My only issue with the Zotac card is that a few people have been having a heat issue with it that requires some adjustment to the card. While I understand that it is a quick fix I'm afraid I'd damage the card in doing so.

This review show the problem http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_670_Amp_Edition/1.html

Again, this is my first time doing anything like this and I'm a bit wary of damaging my card.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

the 7970 also runs really hot and is really loud with a stock cooler...

Are you sure that you won't consider other manufacturers of the cards?

MidgetD

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I'm willing to consider other manufacturers it's just that those two cards are what I had in mind. (I really hate typing with this thing) I'm just looking to get the best "bang for my buck" so to speak.

Stickem

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Man....just go with the 670.......similiar performance, cheaper, uses less power, probaly less noisy, and probably runs cooler. Also, understand that the small performance gain that you will get with a 7970 Ghz is so small percentage wise that you'll never see the darn difference. Also, nvidia has always had better and more stable drivers than ATi/AMD..........need I say more?

MidgetD

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Probably going to pick up the 670 I'm going to contact Zotac about the heat issue tonight. What would be the benefits of picking up the 7970 though? There is one that is cheaper than the Zotac card that also has a lifetime warranty on newegg... Though Zotac is giving away borderlands 2 with the purchase.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
if you're getting the GTX 670, go with either the EVGA GTX 670 FTW (GTX 670 chip on a GTX 680 board with better voltage control and cooling) or one of the chips that's got the vendor specific cooling. (Asus DirectCU II, Sapphire Vapor x, or Gigabyte's one)

the 7970 ghz edition WILL OUTPERFORM BOTH THE GTX 670 AND GTX 680 stock or overclocked.

redeemer

Distinguished

Nvidia more stable drivers.... nah they are the same just as good as AMD right now. The 600 series had the worst drivers ever at launch, vsync bug, 120hz bug, stuttering and their control panel is horrible when compared to the Catalyst Suite. The 7970 is way faster its the fastest single card right now and you know what happens when you overclock it.

redeemer

Distinguished
1e40dd1d.png

3b82fa1c.png

d7e1ff51.png

1e42a4a9.png