Sign in with
Your question

Considering a 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 6:48:27 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my crossfire 6850's to a single 7950. The reason being is that I want to be able to play BF3 on max and many other games alike which I cannot do right now with my current graphic cards. I'm considering buying a HIS 7950 from Newegg that is currently on sale, the link is here: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

The question I'm asking now is if my PC can utilize a AMD 7950. My current PC spec's are:

Motherboard: P67 Pro3 SE

HDD: Hitachi Hds721010cla332 1TB Harddrive

GPU: 2x HIS 6850

PSU: 750W (Not entirely sure of the manufacturer of it)

Processor: i7 2600k @ 3.4 GHz

Now my question is if I can install this card I want successfully, it's currently on sale for $40 off until the end of this month with an additional promotion code involved. So I really want to take advantage of this sale but I need to know for sure that my PC can run/use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : 7950

August 24, 2012 10:58:13 PM

heck,you can run pretty much anything with the 2600k.even crossfire 7950's will be fine.as long as your PSU is a quality,name brand one.
August 24, 2012 11:00:18 PM

Earnie said:
heck,you can run pretty much anything with the 2600k.even crossfire 7950's will be fine.as long as your PSU is a quality,name brand one.

Well it's not that great, it only has 2 6 pin connectors so that's why I just need one 7950 for now I guess.
Related resources
August 24, 2012 11:04:55 PM

You'd have to overclock that 7950 to get a substantial boost in performance over 6850 CF. Given that the 7950 has a lot of headroom, this is not difficult. I think that overclocking your CPU is a bigger thing to do if you play BF3 online.
August 24, 2012 11:05:32 PM

lPacmun said:
can my PC utilize a AMD 7950?:

Motherboard: P67 Pro3 SE
HDD: Hitachi Hds721010cla332 1TB Harddrive
GPU: 2x HIS 6850
PSU: 750W (Not entirely sure of the manufacturer of it)
Processor: i7 2600k @ 3.4 GHz

With ease. Just don't get HIS HD 7950, it's crap. Get either Sapphire's or MSi's (if you can afford it), their versions of 79-- are THE best.

And if your PSU doesn't have at least two 6+2 connectors (which would be quite lame: this means that your PSU is from a stone age, or absolute crap), then throw that trash away and buy yourself a better PSU (I personally highly recommend Antec "Earth Watts"/"High Current Game", KingWin "Lazer Platinum", Corsair HX/AX)
August 25, 2012 12:17:03 AM

Sapphire Vapor X 7950 is what you want, easy 1200mhz 1.28-1.3v
August 25, 2012 12:27:23 AM

master_chen said:
With ease. Just don't get HIS HD 7950, it's crap. Get either Sapphire's or MSi's (if you can afford it), their versions of 79-- are THE best.

And if your PSU doesn't have at least two 6+2 connectors (which would be quite lame: this means that your PSU is from a stone age, or absolute crap), then throw that trash away and buy yourself a better PSU (I personally highly recommend Antec "Earth Watts"/"High Current Game", KingWin "Lazer Platinum", Corsair HX/AX)

I've built a machine with the 7950 HIS and so has a friend of mine. The only complaint that we had about the HIS 7950 was that it needed three slots instead of two.
August 25, 2012 12:33:12 AM

blazorthon said:
I've built a machine with the 7950 HIS and so has a friend of mine. The only complaint that we had about the HIS 7950 was that it needed three slots instead of two.

Wait so you're saying that it needed three slots just to be put on your motherboard? I'm not really following along here since I'm not too bright with graphic cards myself.
August 25, 2012 12:35:28 AM

lPacmun said:
Wait so you're saying that it needed three slots just to be put on your motherboard? I'm not really following along here since I'm not too bright with graphic cards myself.

One PCIe slot. Three expansion slots worth of space because the cooler is a little too large for two expansion slots.
August 25, 2012 12:36:14 AM

blazorthon said:
I've built a machine with the 7950 HIS and so has a friend of mine.

Your friend and you are your friend and you.
I make my recommendations out of my personal experience with dealing with products, you make yours out of yours.
Somebody gets lucky, somebody not. I had only bad experiences with HIS 7950 and I would not recommend it to anybody.
My opinion is my opinion, your opinion is your opinion. Everyone fine, no one gets mad. Get over it. Peace.
August 25, 2012 12:37:11 AM

master_chen said:
Your friend and you are your friend and you.
I make my recommendations out of my personal experience with dealing with products, you make yours out of yours.
Somebody gets lucky, somebody not. I had only had experiences with HIS 7950 and I would not recommend it to anyone.
My opinion is my opinion, your opinion is your opinion. Everyone fine, no one gets mad. Get over it. Peace.

What are you going on about? I simply want to know why you don't recommend the card because my experience with it was fine. I didn't say anything opinionated about it and I didn't mock you for yours.
August 25, 2012 12:39:37 AM

blazorthon said:
I didn't say anything opinionated about it.

I thought that you did...didn't you?...maybe you didn't...everyone's at peace.
August 25, 2012 12:43:04 AM

master_chen said:
I thought that you did...didn't you?...maybe you didn't...everyone's at peace.

I only said that the only complaint that we had about it was the cooler's size that causes it to take up more space than it says that it does. It is a two expansion slot card and this is confirmed in its specs, but its cooler goes just a little further than two expansion slots worth of space can fit, so although it is externally a two slot card, it is internally more like a 2.5 or a 3 slot card.

What problems did you have with the HIS model and when did you have them?
August 25, 2012 12:43:42 AM

Aw man, come on. I got everything what you said, let's not...really, let's not...
Let's stop this off-topic right here, really.
Ask me via PM if you want the details that badly.
August 25, 2012 12:45:25 AM

master_chen said:
Aw man, come on. I got everything what you said, let's not...really, let's not...
Let's stop this off-topic right here, really.
Ask me via PM if you want the details that badly..

I simply want to know what was wrong with your 7950(s) so that I can know if I shouldn't recommend them anymore. I'm not saying that your wrong about anything. It's not off-topic because it concerns the feasibility of the HIS 7950 in a forum thread about 7950s. If you want to talk about it in PM, then please PM me the answer.
August 25, 2012 1:02:21 AM

I've been happy with my MSI Twin Frozr. Just beware that it comes with 8+6pin connectors.
August 25, 2012 1:42:57 AM

SinisterSalad said:
It comes with 8+6 power, which you can manage with two 6+2-pin cables.

:sarcastic: 
August 25, 2012 5:00:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, but it's still pricey even with the discount + promo code due to shipping/taxes. Now I honestly have no idea if I should maybe wait till a big game like Crysis 3 comes out then grab one or just get one now.
August 25, 2012 7:31:24 PM

lPacmun said:
If I should wait or get one now.

If you can afford it right now, then definitely get it right now (But again - only if you're getting what I've suggested, not that HIS crap. If you'll buy HIS 7950, right now, you basically thrown all of your money in a garbage dump. If you can afford quality product, get Sapphire or MSi right now, if you can't afford it right now, then wait).
August 27, 2012 7:37:49 PM

master_chen said:
If you can afford it right now, then definitely get it right now (But again - only if you're getting what I've suggested, not that HIS crap. If you'll buy HIS 7950, right now, you basically thrown all of your money in a garbage dump. If you can afford quality product, get Sapphire or MSi right now, if you can't afford it right now, then wait).

Ok I'm definitely getting one before the 31st, but I found a GIGABYTE 7950 on NCIX which comes with 2 free games (Dirt and Sleeping Dogs) but it ends up being around $387 compared to the HIS which is $356. I would of got the Sapphire but apparently I don't have a 8 pin connector, but 2 6 pin connectors so I think that ones out of the question.
August 27, 2012 9:13:11 PM

lPacmun said:
Two 6-pin connectors

6+2 (6 main + 2 attachable), or just 6? If it's 6+2, you can use them just fine.
Could you provide info/link onto your PSU? I'll tell you exactly, then.
August 28, 2012 12:29:36 AM

master_chen said:
6+2 (6 main + 2 attachable), or just 6? If it's 6+2, you can use them just fine.
Could you provide info/link onto your PSU? I'll tell you exactly, then.

I pm'd you about it.
!