Advice for new desktop build. triple monitor, gaming work combo

dhouse

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: ordering within few days, before sales expire

Budget Range: $1000. cheaper would be nice but probably go over to get it right

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multi-tasking with office software, web browsing, media all at once > gaming (with ability for eyefinity) > video editing and media

buying a monitor: I have 2 samsung t260hd monitors already and about to add a third off craigslist (seperate from cost of system)

OS: Have windows 7 ready to install already, probably get 8 eventually

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg > ebay > tigerdirect etc

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel CPU other than that open

Overclocking: Doubtful, maybe eventually

SLI or Crossfire: Most likely down the road

Your Monitor Resolution: 3 monitors at 1920x1200 (have dvi and hdmi inputs, NO displayport so thinking sapphire flex is best option?)

Additional Comments: like to run most any modern games on ultra settings with at least one monitor, ability to run eyefinity on decent to high settings. looking forward to assasins creed 3, i like first person shooters and racing games. I'm not into the mmorpg

Why Are You Upgrading: my 8 year old HP has reached the limit of its upgradability and i need more speed for both work and play. i tend to have a ton of stuff running at once for getting work done. also switching from console gaming to pc

Proposed system:
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146086
MoBo:ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330
CPU: I5 3570k
GPU: Sapphire Flex Radeon HD 7950 3GB gddr5 OC with boost edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202007
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
Hard Drive: either a 64 or 128 gb ssd whatever i can get a good deal on, saw a 128 kingston on sale for like 80 at office store... i have a netgear readynas with 1tb i use for mass storage for whole home/office so dont need much space just os, office, video editing and games
Optical: Havent decided have some exernal drives laying around so not critical may pick up an internal bluray eventually
RAM: Leaning towards 16GB (2x8) g.skill ripjaw x series ddr3 240 pin but havent decided
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231528&name=Desktop-Memory

puts me right around $1100 total after rebates shipping etc

this is my first ground up build on a gaming/all around desktop but i am pretty tech savvy. i have spent every waking moment the last week reading reviews on this site and this is what i came up with. this will probably have to last me 5 years wife before i can get wifes approval again!

My main questions:
Just like to hear some general thoughts, opinions?
Is everything good compatibility wise?
Should I invest more or save some money somewhere? is anything overkill? anything going to be the weak link?
am i leaving myself ability to upgrade, specifically crossfire someday if i need it?
will stock cooling be sufficient or should i upgrade?
is this video card a solid choice for triple monitors with gaming? like ability of flex card to use all dvi with eyefinity without active displayport or other adapters. seems like only option really or i could get flex hd 7870
will psu handle another hd 7950 someday if i need it?
what speed memory should i pick?... read that theres not much benefit once you get up to like 1866 or 2133, but cost goes up quick

Thanks!!! D-HOUSE

malbluff

Honorable
All basically good choices, with a couple of observations.
The Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is only slightly better than the Extreme 3, but, at the moment (don't know how long for) Newegg are offering it at $135, but including 8GB of decent RAM, so effectively works out cheaper.
If sticking with the "3", recommend you use GSKill Ares, Crucial Ballistix Sport, or Corsair CML, for RAM, to ensure a free choice of cooler (when you want to overclock), without worrying about a potential clash.
The Corsair PSU is very good (an OK for rating). It may be possible to get other very good PSU's, cheaper, like possibly Rosewill Capstone.
Stock cooler will be fine, til you OC, although, if that's going to be soon, may be worth fitting aftermarket cooler, from start, to save hassle of changing (and quieter).
Two HD7950's in crossfire will be good, for eyefinity, unless you could go with HD7970's, and better than 2xnVidia, for multi-monitor.
Whichever mobo you go for, stick with 1600 MHz RAM, higher speed not worth the hassle, for minimal gain.

dhouse

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Can anybody confirm, or deny? whether the 670 gtx, specifically the one below, will run my three monitors 1x hdmi and 2x dvi or does this require displayport adapter? i only ask because i know some cards the hdmi and one of the dvi are on the same and wont run simutaneously.

EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

dont want to start the nvidia vs ati debate but i might splurge for this card instead of the 7950 flex

Yes the 670 can run up to 4 monitors. I have one with 3x1920x1080 and one 1920x1200 everything runs great. might need some converters but the display port converters don't need to be active so very cheap. Also look at amazon.com they have beter prices on some things just sayin.

Thent

dhouse

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for all the info, made my order today. Sorry didnt mean to double up the thread. I was doing it on a phone browser which doesnt seem to like this site and i thought it wasnt posted the first time but it was.