Looking for sound card suggestion

I currently am using onboard sound.

Hardware is:
Motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z77V_PRO/
Headphones http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-headsets/vengeance-1500-dolby-7-1-usb-gaming-headset.html

I am not happy with the sound quality I am getting, and I am assuming it is the on-board sound. I am especially disappointed in the bass when listening to music, no matter how much I mess around with the equalizer etc.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but if you guys think it is my onboard holding me back, can you suggest a good soundcard? Don't know what kind of budget I'd need. Cheaper the better in the $100-150 range?

PS, my motherboard onboard sound specs are:
Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Solution
Yes, USB soundcards work independently of your system sound card.

Also, make sure when you are adjusting your equalizer and tone, etc, that you are adjusting the USB headphone and not the settings on the sound card. Changing settings on one won't necessarily change settings on the other.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Don't know about $, but over here the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional can be gotten for £80, so that should fit snugly into your budget.

I have one myself, and I can say for sure; I'm never going back to integrated sound cards. Once you have heard the difference, it will pain you to go back to integrated.

That is, supposing your speakers/headphones are up to snuff. When you have more dosh, I'd recommend a few studio monitors as well.

woodflute

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Yes, USB soundcards work independently of your system sound card.

Also, make sure when you are adjusting your equalizer and tone, etc, that you are adjusting the USB headphone and not the settings on the sound card. Changing settings on one won't necessarily change settings on the other.

Solution