Sign in with
Your question

BirthDay Build Questions & Concerns

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2012 3:58:03 AM

First off Ill put a little personal disclamier up here saying that im New to Tom's Hardware and if i posted this in the wrong Place/Format i Apologize. i Just found this Site Recently and it seems Great for Advice/Help

Ill be Hopefully Buying and Building a New Gaming/Rendering and ALL-Round Pc in late november this year and have some concerns

What ive looked through and am thinking of buying a

Core i7 3770K (with Hyper 212 EVO [not included in price])
Msi Z77A-G45
4x2 GB of Mushking Frostbyte 1.5V 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 DDR3
120Gb Mushkin Chronos (Main OS/Games/Programs) (i have a copy of win 7 already)
MSI Geforce GTX 660 OC Twin Frozor 3
Seasonic M12II 620W Bronze
Bitfenix Ghost

The Concerns i have are over Reliability and Expandability.

I plan on Building this to later expand as i get money but for now im limited to 1000-1100 Canadian Dollars before Taxes, ill be getting More memory and another gtx660 early next year.

so To List my Worries out

1. Im worried ABout the SSD reliability and having enough space for what i might do
2. im worried about the MotherBoard Handling an OC (i will get a cooler)
3. im worried about the power supply/MOBO handling 2 GFX cards in SLI and im also hoping there wont be any compatibility issues i missed
4. and as an aftherthough for Gaming i know the 3770k is a bit of overkill but ill be using it for rendering 3D/Pics/Video and im not sure how well a 3570K would hold out

Sorry if i bothered anyone but this is going to be my First Full* Build and im a little worried, any help and/or Suggestions of better Hardware, Issues i might have ect... would be awesome!

Thanks to anyone who helps me out- Kevin
October 19, 2012 4:08:47 AM

BeyondNight said:
First off Ill put a little personal disclamier up here saying that im New to Tom's Hardware and if i posted this in the wrong Place/Format i Apologize. i Just found this Site Recently and it seems Great for Advice/Help

Ill be Hopefully Buying and Building a New Gaming/Rendering and ALL-Round Pc in late november this year and have some concerns

What ive looked through and am thinking of buying a

Core i7 3770K (with Hyper 212 EVO [not included in price])
Msi Z77A-G45
4x2 GB of Mushking Frostbyte 1.5V 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 DDR3
120Gb Mushkin Chronos (Main OS/Games/Programs) (i have a copy of win 7 already)
MSI Geforce GTX 660 OC Twin Frozor 3
Seasonic M12II 620W Bronze
Bitfenix Ghost

The Concerns i have are over Reliability and Expandability.

I plan on Building this to later expand as i get money but for now im limited to 1000-1100 Canadian Dollars before Taxes, ill be getting More memory and another gtx660 early next year.

so To List my Worries out

1. Im worried ABout the SSD reliability and having enough space for what i might do
2. im worried about the MotherBoard Handling an OC (i will get a cooler)
3. im worried about the power supply/MOBO handling 2 GFX cards in SLI and im also hoping there wont be any compatibility issues i missed
4. and as an aftherthough for Gaming i know the 3770k is a bit of overkill but ill be using it for rendering 3D/Pics/Video and im not sure how well a 3570K would hold out

Sorry if i bothered anyone but this is going to be my First Full* Build and im a little worried, any help and/or Suggestions of better Hardware, Issues i might have ect... would be awesome!

Thanks to anyone who helps me out- Kevin

Forgot to mention i have a 21.5" monitor at 1680 x 1050 and will be playing Fps's and using Cinema 4d & Photoshop CS6 (working with photog)

Im buying from either Newegg or NCIX because i live in Canada

I prefer MSI and the rest if the work they work (but still quality)

and im upgrading because my computer is Old and Dying

October 19, 2012 4:26:04 AM

1) I would get a hdd as well as an ssd. Then downgrade the ssd to 64gb.
2) If the mobo is z77 then it will oc. I would get the evo cooler which is what I think you had mentioned.
3) That psu should work well with those to cards because they don't use very much power and there are all the need connectors.
Also you might want to look at the 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that one is only a few more bucks for a pretty good amount more power
also you need to get a more powerful psu, along the lines of 700-750 watts for it to do well in crossfire. But if you keep the 660, you can get that thing to overclock really high according to tomshardware's review.
October 19, 2012 12:52:43 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
1) I would get a hdd as well as an ssd. Then downgrade the ssd to 64gb.
2) If the mobo is z77 then it will oc. I would get the evo cooler which is what I think you had mentioned.
3) That psu should work well with those to cards because they don't use very much power and there are all the need connectors.
Also you might want to look at the 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that one is only a few more bucks for a pretty good amount more power
also you need to get a more powerful psu, along the lines of 700-750 watts for it to do well in crossfire. But if you keep the 660, you can get that thing to overclock really high according to tomshardware's review.

im just worried about hitting the max @ 620 and the PS shutting off.

and i have a 500gb usb 3 external drive but will get a 1TB HDD this Christmas hopefully
im still thinking of going with a 3570k gd55 and gtx 660ti though but am not sure how hard that would hit rendering ect...

ive thought about the 7870 HAWK espically with its open CL performace but im not sure how that would apply to rendering as well, i more worried about Cinema 4D taking forever when i need to get something done.
!