Which is better for games?

If all you are doing is playing games than going from I5 to 8350 is a downgrade. The I5 3570K is one of the best processors for gaming and there is no point in switching motherboards and processors.

The 3570K is faster core for core, so games that are CPU heavy will do better on the I5, more cores don't mean more performance when games can't even use much cores to begin with. Now if you were to say run a server off your PC and then game then the 8 core probably would do better, but for gaming. you already have the i5, so keep it. Its not an upgrade.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

So I shouldn't be concerned that Battlefield 3 uses 95% of my i5?

BF3 multiplayer is pretty CPU demanding but that still seems kind of high. What resolution are you playing at? The lower the resolution the more demand is put on the CPU. Add to that-that BF3 is CPU demanding and it would put alot of pressure on the CPU.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

1280x1024

Thats your problem your resolution is really really low. That is your problem and your bottleneck. Like I said the lower the resolution the more the the CPU is strained not the video card. As I said above B3 multiplayer is already CPU demanding add to that the low resolution and that is going to put even more strain on the CPU. If you get a new monitor and play at 1920X1080 or higher the high CPU usage will go away.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

How does rendering fewer pixels cause more stress?

I'm not exactly sure I can explain the technical part of it, maybe someone else here can but the way I explain is it is like a sliding scale kind of like a number line. The lower you go in resolution the more stress is put on the CPU. The higher you go in resolution the more stress is put on the video card. That is why you will see people say over and over again here that if you are going to be playing games at 1280 or 1600 there really is no point in using a high-end card like a GTX 670/680 or Radeon 7950/7970.Most of the work load is being put on the CPU not the video card and at those resolutions you will never use the full power of a high-end video card.

Honestly it would depend on the game, some games just wont use the GPU much. Other games will use CPU way more then the GPU.

This is where "bottleneck" comes into play, if it "bottlenecks" on 1 game, it don't mean its gonna "bottleneck" in others.

Gaidax

Distinguished

That is because once resolution is dropping your frame rate is going up - every frame requires a certain CPU effort - so the higher the FPS the more CPU stress is generated since CPU needs to feed GPU with more data as you draw more frames at the same time.

Comparably - if resolution is higher - GPU often becomes the bottleneck and it's not requesting as much new data, since it takes a longer amount of time to draw a frame, thus CPU idles more "waiting" for GPU to complete it's pass and request new data.

That's why CPU benchmarks are usually done with low resolutions - people want to see how much data CPU can pump into GPU at any given time.