Power Supply

I'm planning on upgrading my PC and I need a little help.
Specs will be the following:

- ASUS P5QPL-AM Motherboard
- Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU
- 4GB RAM
- MSI 560GTX-M2D1GD5 Graphics Card
- Zalman CNPS 9500 Fan
- 320GB Hard Drive Disk

My question is, will my 500W Power Supplier be enough?
In case it's not, changing the graphics card to an "ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 1GB", will it then be enough?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance!
7 answers Last reply
More about power supply
  1. Gonna need a bit more info on the "500W PSU" before we can say either way. If its a generic PSU, I would throw it out on general principle. If its a good model say from Corsair or Seasonic, then you will likely be fine.
  2. Which is the brand/model of the psu ? a decent one will do just fine for a 560/560 ti.
    I don't know what you mean by upgrading, the parts that you listed is the ones that you already have ?
  3. I already own some of the parts. I'm going to upgrade the CPU, RAM and Graphics Card, so the specs I mentioned before will be the PC's final state. As for the PSU, it's a Chieftec GPS-500AB A
    AC-INPUT: 115V~/ 10A & 220-230V~/ 5A
    FREQUENCY: 47Hz-63Hz
  4. It will do for a 560 gtx, it requires a 450W psu and the maximum tdp of the card is 150W, that psu is a decent one, made by delta, it doesn't have much amps on the +12v rail(30A/360W) but it will do.
    If this is the one : http://members.chello.pl/w.dyszynski/allegro/ATX/gps-500ab_a_3.jpg
  5. Yup, that's the one! So, I can use the all the components AND the GTX 560 as well without the fear of accidents? I mean, aren't I going to push the supplier to its limits? And since I can use the 560 one, the 550 is ok as well, right?
  6. You should be fine with that PSU on the rig as it stands.
  7. Thank you everyone for your time! I couldn't find information on that matter, and I luckily found this site! One last question. Any other graphics card upgrade after the GTX 560 will need a better PSU for sure, right?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Asus Components