Do I have a hardware problem with my newly built computer?

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Just built a bran new computer for the first time and it worked perfectly for about 5 or 6 hours straight then I started getting this error: "Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered" Well I've been reading forums for the past three days on it, tried so many different fixes and it just keeps getting worse and worse. My computer would get all pixelated, freeze, go to a black screen and then I'd get that error. This happened infrequently at first then got to the point where it was happening every 2-5 seconds and then eventually I'd blue screen before windows 7 would even load. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and the pixels were still happening in the bios and all during the installation. They go away occasionally when I reboot. Before installing the new drivers from AMD my computer looks like this when it's pixelated http://imgur.com/FQIza . sometimes The pixels aren't there but follow my mouse cursor. then after installing the drivers immediate crash with that error about the display drivers. http://imgur.com/nAYPL . STOP: 0x0000116 or somethign like that and it has to do with the display so I'm guessing windows couldn't automatically fix it without restarting this time.

So my question is can you figure out if it is indeed a hardware problem and which part it is that I should send in to get replaced?

Here's my build:
Motherboard-
ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card-
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L )

Case-
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power supply-
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

SSD -
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CPU-
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Plugged the monitor into the mohter board and removed the graphics card - no pixels at all. . I've been reading more reviews on this power supply and I'm liking it less and less. Maybe it fried my gpu? I'm thinking I might send my gpu back into newegg for a replacement and refund this power supply.

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
What do you think I should do tho? Try and get refund on this power supply from newegg and just buy the one you linked? Or should I rma my graphics card too?

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I've reinstalled the drivers from amd multiply times. . Different versions too to no avail. Even used guides on how to completely uninstall drivers too but nothing has helped. The computer worked perfectly like I said for the first five or six hours so idk then it just started coming up with this error and it got so bad I couldn't even try any fixes anymore. I also did three clean installs of windows 7

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The monitor I brought to school from home, had been playing on another desktop with this monitor fine all last week. So just replace the card and buy a new power supply? Also, the one you linked I noticed is non modular, is that much more difficult to put together or just more of an inconvenience?

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
I would just put the monitor on another pc to make 100% sure it is not the monitor but I don't think it is the monitor. I assume you connected every cable correctly. I think it is a faulty graphics card. I would return that graphics card and also get a new power supply.

- Fastreaction

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
look for the latest firmware update for your ssd drive.. also from the sound of it you might of just got a bad video card it happens more often then not .. but depending on where you got it you should be able to exchange it i bought a sapphire 6850 once and had to return it because it was getting pixilization issues and blocking..
got a new one and none of those issues appeared

dmo90

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Yeah that would be helpful, that one is out of stock as well. Man I felt so accomplished after building my first pc and it only lasted six hours now it's turned into a nightmare :/