Sign in with
Your question

Do I have a hardware problem with my newly built computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2012 8:35:06 PM

Just built a bran new computer for the first time and it worked perfectly for about 5 or 6 hours straight then I started getting this error: "Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered" Well I've been reading forums for the past three days on it, tried so many different fixes and it just keeps getting worse and worse. My computer would get all pixelated, freeze, go to a black screen and then I'd get that error. This happened infrequently at first then got to the point where it was happening every 2-5 seconds and then eventually I'd blue screen before windows 7 would even load. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and the pixels were still happening in the bios and all during the installation. They go away occasionally when I reboot. Before installing the new drivers from AMD my computer looks like this when it's pixelated http://imgur.com/FQIza . sometimes The pixels aren't there but follow my mouse cursor. then after installing the drivers immediate crash with that error about the display drivers. http://imgur.com/nAYPL . STOP: 0x0000116 or somethign like that and it has to do with the display so I'm guessing windows couldn't automatically fix it without restarting this time.

So my question is can you figure out if it is indeed a hardware problem and which part it is that I should send in to get replaced?

Here's my build:
Motherboard-
ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card-
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L )

Case-
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power supply-
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

SSD -
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CPU-
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 8:37:25 PM

What happens if you do not use the graphics card (unplugging it from the motherboard?). Do you still get pixels?

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 8:40:12 PM

And by the way I would not recommend that power supply.

- Fastreaction
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 8:51:05 PM

Plugged the monitor into the mohter board and removed the graphics card - no pixels at all. . I've been reading more reviews on this power supply and I'm liking it less and less. Maybe it fried my gpu? I'm thinking I might send my gpu back into newegg for a replacement and refund this power supply.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 8:57:49 PM

I think it is my mistake since there is no onboard video chipset on your motherboard.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 8:59:09 PM

So what do you think my problem is?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 8:59:09 PM

About the power supply I would change that immidiately. Let me take a look. I will post a good power supply suited for you :) 

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 8:59:31 PM

Are you able to try that graphics card on another pc?

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:01:07 PM

Thanks for helping. I don't think I can no
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:03:14 PM

What do you think I should do tho? Try and get refund on this power supply from newegg and just buy the one you linked? Or should I rma my graphics card too?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:03:31 PM

This could be an hardware problem or driver problem. If the problems already occured at the first time start up I would recommend to return that GPU and get the corsair power supply.

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:04:39 PM

Have you tried re-installing the drivers?

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:07:09 PM

I've reinstalled the drivers from amd multiply times. . Different versions too to no avail. Even used guides on how to completely uninstall drivers too but nothing has helped. The computer worked perfectly like I said for the first five or six hours so idk then it just started coming up with this error and it got so bad I couldn't even try any fixes anymore. I also did three clean installs of windows 7
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:08:36 PM

Hmm ok wait. You did a clean install of windows 7 but WHEN did the pixel problem began to happen? During the windows 7 installation or AFTER the AMD drivers installation? When exactly :) 

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:10:12 PM

Hmm okay. You inserted the windows disc and of course it formatted everything and then DURING the installation of windows you already have pixel problems?

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:10:19 PM

The second and third clean installs pixels were happening before and during installation
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:11:04 PM

I've used two different versions of windows seven as well. Ultimate and professional
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:11:44 PM

yes you are correct. The pixels happen now as soon as I turn on my computer in the bios and everything. Usually two large vertical lines too
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:16:24 PM

The monitor I brought to school from home, had been playing on another desktop with this monitor fine all last week. So just replace the card and buy a new power supply? Also, the one you linked I noticed is non modular, is that much more difficult to put together or just more of an inconvenience?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:16:31 PM

I would just put the monitor on another pc to make 100% sure it is not the monitor but I don't think it is the monitor. I assume you connected every cable correctly. I think it is a faulty graphics card. I would return that graphics card and also get a new power supply.

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:19:04 PM

look for the latest firmware update for your ssd drive.. also from the sound of it you might of just got a bad video card it happens more often then not .. but depending on where you got it you should be able to exchange it i bought a sapphire 6850 once and had to return it because it was getting pixilization issues and blocking..
got a new one and none of those issues appeared
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:23:36 PM

What exactly is firmware? I don't think I've downloaded any drivers at all for my ssd
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:24:08 PM

Modular and non modular does not really matter but in a non modular, the cables are hard wired. I could recommend a modular one if you would like that.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:25:26 PM

Yeah that would be helpful, that one is out of stock as well. Man I felt so accomplished after building my first pc and it only lasted six hours now it's turned into a nightmare :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:40:18 PM

You would have no problems with non modulars but it is a matter of preference. Most people who go with modulars are people who do not want to insert cables that are not being used.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:42:23 PM

Thank you so much I think I'm gonna send my card in today and look into getting a new psu I'm a little pressed for money after buying everything for this computer but If the problem persists with a new card then I'm going to have to drop a little more cash sooner than I'd like.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:44:03 PM

By the way. Did you try reseating the graphics card?

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:44:59 PM

I think it is a faulty graphics card with a faulty memory.

- Fastreaction

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:47:21 PM

dmo90 said:
Yes I completely removed it and reinstalled it. As in my RAM?

No the memory of the graphics card.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:48:12 PM

Yes I completely removed it and reinstalled it. As in my RAM?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 9:48:45 PM

I searched a bit more and this guy looks like someone with the same problem as you. The people there also think that it is a faulty memory on the graphics card so definitely return it :) . Time to sleep hehehe.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:50:35 PM

Could you link me to his thread? Alright I'm leaving now for UPS I'll update this whenever I find anything out. Thanks again
m
l
September 7, 2012 10:33:32 PM

Well after much hassle my replacement card arrived today. Fingers are crossed here I'll install it pretty soon
m
l
August 14, 2013 12:34:52 PM

In case anyone else is having the same issues I indeed did have a faulty graphics card shipped to me and I've been running a replacement ever since and it's been working fine
m
l
!